Easthaven/East Haven

sevfiv

Hi all,

Can anyone give insight on Easthaven/East Haven? It is located directly east of Hobby airport and roughly bordered by Monroe to the west, Scranton to the north (though Airport is the largest street to the north), I-45 and Clearwood to the east, and Meldrum to the south (Almeda-Genoa is the larger street to the south).

map

Historically, the area is pretty old. I am not sure of the exact history but there are some old bungalows and houses in there from the 10's and 20's.

Also, Easthaven Road was one of the early roads in the area, connecting South Houston to Hall Road and/or Choate Road (if memory serves).

Well, it was at Easthaven Babtist that I learned that AC/DC stands for "After Christ, Devil Comes"!!!

Who knew that AC/DC and the Dead were "DEVIL WORSHIPPERS"?!?

Sorry I can't give you much more input than that.

I did drive through the area a few years back, and wasn't terribly surprised to see that Easthaven still looks just like it did in the late 70's and early 80's.

It's similar to a lot of south Houston (and South Houston, which is just across the freeway). A mix of small old wood frame homes, light industrial and vacant lots. It's my kind of place.

Eh, I was just curious about the little neighborhood. There seem to be mostly homes built in the late 1960s-early 1980s, and I have found no trace of pre-1950 homes (I saw one that was built in 1955 but surrounded by late 70s homes).

I noticed on one block where one side was mostly built in 1974 while across the street was mostly 1982, and on other streets there are clusters of similarly-aged houses - mainly 1974, 1982, then late 1990s.

Does anyone know if anything happened in this neighborhood? Seems odd that there is a decent amount of 1998-2000 era houses that are of similar size and appraised at roughly the same amount as their older neighbors.

Main concerns would be normal neighborhood issues but I can find out if there is a neighborhood association or not. There are areas that look nice and well-kept, and then on the next block there will be what looks like an auto-repair shop in someone's front yard, and the next block a gaggle of trailers. There were also significant amounts of trash in a ditch across the street from some of the nicer looking homes. Oh, and multi-family housing on the perimeter that looks like total crap. The crime statistics weren't great, but I've seen worse.

Does anyone know if anything happened in this neighborhood? Seems odd that there is a decent amount of 1998-2000 era houses that are of similar size and appraised at roughly the same amount as their older neighbors.

Main concerns would be normal neighborhood issues but I can find out if there is a neighborhood association or not. There are areas that look nice and well-kept, and then on the next block there will be what looks like an auto-repair shop in someone's front yard, and the next block a gaggle of trailers. There were also significant amounts of trash in a ditch across the street from some of the nicer looking homes. Oh, and multi-family housing on the perimeter that looks like total crap. The crime statistics weren't great, but I've seen worse.

a builder, gil ramirez, came in and built those homes in the late 90's because the lots were very cheap. the homes were cheaply made. credit was easy and people were moving in with lots of promises from gil. quite a bit of the original owners were foreclosed on since then. stay clear of ANYTHING built by him.

i believe at one point they had a civic club cause I used to have some relatives there but don't believe they are active currently. If you're concerned about deed restrictions, I don't think they are restricted which is why some of the things you mentioned are happening.

Hi all,

Can anyone give insight on Easthaven/East Haven? It is located directly east of Hobby airport and roughly bordered by Monroe to the west, Scranton to the north (though Airport is the largest street to the north), I-45 and Clearwood to the east, and Meldrum to the south (Almeda-Genoa is the larger street to the south).

map

I don't know how much traffic (aircraft) is in & out of Hobby now, but I don't think I'd want to live next door to an airport. I grew up 1 or 2 miles from there, when Hobby was THE airport, and it was very noisy.

The airport isn't a big deal - I'm okay with that kind of noise (probably a tolerance built up by spending a lot of my childhood a few houses away from a freeway). It's the rude neighbor/drive through noise that is less tolerable...the usual bass, etc.

I found the Gil Ramirez site and yeah, looks about right - and quite an affinity for outward frontal garages...bleh. I think the San Jose is my favorite "design" though:

osg38j.jpg

:o

Archived