Furniture Shopping

Anyone have any advice on furniture shopping these days? It seems lately that no one wants to deal. The "sale price is the best price" yet stuff seems to always be on sale and thus I always feel like I'm not actually getting the best price if I pay whatever's on the sticker.

It doesn't make sense to me that the furniture stores would put their best price on the sticker for two reasons -

1.) Some people will always pay the sticker price, whatever it is. So if you're not marking up some over your "best price" then you're missing out on extra revenue from these people that they'd be willing to pay.

or

2.) People like me who aren't comfortable paying sticker, therefore I just walk away and you leave my business on the table, too.

I know that my problem is mostly psychological - compared to some of the stuff we've seen at other stores, the furniture we liked today ay Star was definitely higher quality and probably priced competitively, but I just have this hangup that I'm getting taken advantage of if I pay the sticker price.

But seriously, how can the sale price be the best price if Star Furniture has a "sale of the year" so often that I have the jingle memorized? Surely there is extra markup in there.

FWIW, I've never known Mattress Mack to haggle, either, and at Ashley today the sales manager came out and said that 10% off his cheapo stuff was a "really good deal."

For the same reason, I'm reluctant to shop at Macy's or Dillards for furniture because I feel silly trying negotiate in a stinking department store. Ergo, the sticker is a psychological barrier to me and I just don't even bother shopping there.

Anyway, am I missing something here?

Sorry for the rambling post.

I know that my problem is mostly psychological - compared to some of the stuff we've seen at other stores, the furniture we liked today ay Star was definitely higher quality

LOL. You don't hear that often. If this is the kind of stuff you are wanting, head out to Harwin/Hillcroft where they sell the same stuff and will haggle.

Two words: High Point, as in NC, the furniture capital of the world. All the manufacturers are represented there, and you don't even have to fly over to buy (with a few exceptions). Just copy down the make and model, and find a distributor in High Point who sells the brand, and give them a call. With few exceptions, you will save over the local retailers, even with shipping factored in. And, unless the local guys have the product in stock in the fabric you want, you will wait about the same time for it to be made and delivered. It tends to be easier to find traditional ("Star-style") furniture, not so much on the modern stuff.

Anyone have any advice on furniture shopping these days? It seems lately that no one wants to deal. The "sale price is the best price" yet stuff seems to always be on sale and thus I always feel like I'm not actually getting the best price if I pay whatever's on the sticker.

It doesn't make sense to me that the furniture stores would put their best price on the sticker for two reasons -

1.) Some people will always pay the sticker price, whatever it is. So if you're not marking up some over your "best price" then you're missing out on extra revenue from these people that they'd be willing to pay.

or

2.) People like me who aren't comfortable paying sticker, therefore I just walk away and you leave my business on the table, too.

I know that my problem is mostly psychological - compared to some of the stuff we've seen at other stores, the furniture we liked today ay Star was definitely higher quality and probably priced competitively, but I just have this hangup that I'm getting taken advantage of if I pay the sticker price.

But seriously, how can the sale price be the best price if Star Furniture has a "sale of the year" so often that I have the jingle memorized? Surely there is extra markup in there.

FWIW, I've never known Mattress Mack to haggle, either, and at Ashley today the sales manager came out and said that 10% off his cheapo stuff was a "really good deal."

For the same reason, I'm reluctant to shop at Macy's or Dillards for furniture because I feel silly trying negotiate in a stinking department store. Ergo, the sticker is a psychological barrier to me and I just don't even bother shopping there.

The furniture business in Houston is extremely competitive thanks to forces like Mattress Mac (save you money!), Hilton Furniture (That's a fact, Jack!), Bi-Rite Funiture (where the bean bags are!) and Exclusive Furniture (Where low prices liiiiive!). The next time you drive near Gallery on I-45 just look around and you can probably spot about 10 furniture stores at once. I think everyone has some pretty cut-throat prices already, which may be why they don't want to talk discount.

I have haggled at Gallery Furniture for years. Have only bought a couple of items, of which only ONE I actually still possess. A giant 7FT. Mexican Pine armoir, I bought about 12 years ago. They wanted $995 back then. I got it for $600 DELIVERED !!! Those days are gone but you got some "wiggle room". Rooms To Go seems to have some decent stuff these days also.

Here is an instructional video, explaining "wiggle room".

or

Furniture stores in Houston suck. I hate Gallery because it's like walking into an automobile dealership. I only go to Gallery if I haven't found anything anywhere else. And when I do, the first thing I say (and I purposely say it LOUD) when one of the 2 dozen salesperson's abruptly walks into my space immediately upon entering... is... LEAVE ME THE **** ALONE! Then I walk around and see if there is anything I like. I hate that place. But, most people who shop there are the same folks who actually haggle with a car salesman on a dealer's lot (stupid way to buy a car).

Enough rambling about Gallery... Ashley? Furniture is cheap quality and overpriced. Roomstore? Decent quality for price (all furniture is overpriced by the way). Rooms To Go? Won't be in business 12 months from now. The cheapest and most overpriced crap in town. Hilton? Never been there.

Been to all the outlets.... crap. Department stores like Dillards... Macy's.... super crap and way, way overpriced. The Dump.... no big deal.

Bottom line... we buy most stuff from Star Furniture.... higher priced... but best quality. Have bought nice stuff from the Roomstore as well.

Bottom Line 2: Furniture is marked up more than anything outside of jewelry, and most furniture I've seen for years here in Houston is just plain crap as far as it's quality.

So in the end... go to Roomstore and Star Furniture... if you don't find anything there.... then hit all the others knowing the quality of the furniture is down on the totem pole.

My wife and I went sofa shopping last fall so we went to Fingers "everything must go before we shut down for good" sale.

We thought we had haggled successfully till we got home.

We did get a good deal on the sofa and then we got 2 matching ottomans for the price of one. I don't remember how much we talked down the couches price.. but it seems we ended up getting the two ottomans and the couch for 50-100 less than the original marked price on the couch.

When we got home, we realized one of the ottomans had a broken base at one of the legs.. really quite noticeable actually. It was obvious they just jerry-rigged it back together, but really, its something that probably should have been returned to the manufactuer. It's stable, but its noticeable enough that we cant use it in the middle of the room.. it has a good side and has to stay on the perimeter of the living room.

Unfortunately, since it was a going out of buisness sale.. there was a No Refund policy in effect.

So, we did end up getting a nice sofa for a good price... but it really sucks spending a a lot of money on a major purchase, getting damaged goods, and not being able to do anything about it. IT also sucks knowing that the entire time we were haggling.. the effin salesman probably knew the 2nd ottoman was defective and his whole plan was to sell all three pieces to some sucker who thought he was haggling for a good deal.

All salesmen are scum !

Also, unless you absolutely must have new, don't discount Craigslist finds. I have been quite happy with my purchases. However, tthere is so much volume on that site, that I keyword search on "Ethan Allen," "Crate & Barrel," "Pottery Barn," "Bo Concept," and the like. Tends to bring up some decent hits, and allows me to quickly check every morning while I'm eating breakfast. I have found a lot of the pieces to be quality, and usually for sale by people who never intended to sell, but are downsizing or relocating (or have more money than sense). They are usually open to haggling withing reason, and it's sort of a fun pastime.

Good quality classic stuff doesn't go out of style, thankfully.

Some resale shops have some good stuff too. I love the Guild Shop (Dunlavy) and Bluebird (W Alabama).

Yeah, I don't think I have ever walked in to a large furniture store and saw anything I've liked...or wasn't total overpriced crap. I either find it resale (more styles I like) or for a lot of $ at modern furniture stores.

Anyone here ever make their own furniture?

Believe it or not I often find the resale stuff to be of a higher quality than brand spanking new. I think manufacturers cut a lot of corners these days.

I made a very primitive coffee table with an old musician's case and a couple cinder blocks, but it looks fantastic. I love it.

Anyone here ever make their own furniture?

In the process on my first piece... Coffee table - not really furniture making, more of furniture reuse.

I have my grandfather's engineering drafting table ( the top surface, anyways ) ... and i have a old wooden crate- heavy frame with slat sides, I've always referred to it as the bread basket.. it used to be in my parents deli and has been in my family's possession for 30 years at least.

I'm not sure what combination of stains and or laquers I'm going to use.. but im going to try to make both pieces a little more glossy, match the colors a little more, while trying to preserve and bring out the 50 yr old coffee stains and what not on the drafting table..

Going to affix the surface to the basket with a piano hinge so it can be used as storage for all of our board games. ... put some short wooden legs on it so it will slide on the carpet a little better and give it another inch or so of height... and possibly affix a parallel bar set up permanently to one side, if i can find an older looking one at a decent price.

We had a decent experience with Star. Didn't pay sticker price, but I still felt it was a little too high. But, we looked everywhere and that is where we found exactly what we wanted.

Gallery is annoying, because the vultures sit at the front waiting to harass you.

Craigslist for Houston furniture is horrible, 90% of the posts are repeat bull crap from dealers who put the same junk in EVERY DAY.

The best furniture experience we've had is getting stuff from Alabama furniture, who does slightly damaged, overstock, or consignment stuff. Their selection is random, but you have lots of room to haggle if that gets you excited.

We bought most of our furniture at Louis Shanks, and were happy with the experience. They will haggle some, especially if you are reluctant to commit. We used phrases like "more than we really wanted to spend", "more than our budget allows", etc, and ended up with 10-20% reductions. The sales people also left us alone when we said we wanted to browse before asking questions.

Furniture stores in Houston suck.  I hate Gallery because it's like walking into an automobile dealership.  I only go to Gallery if I haven't found anything anywhere else.  And when I do, the first thing I say (and I purposely say it LOUD) when one of the 2 dozen salesperson's abruptly walks into my space immediately upon entering... is... LEAVE ME THE **** ALONE!  Then I walk around and see if there is anything I like.  I hate that place.  But, most people who shop there are the same folks who actually haggle with a car salesman on a dealer's lot (stupid way to buy a car).

Enough rambling about Gallery... Ashley?  Furniture is cheap quality and overpriced.  Roomstore?  Decent quality for price (all furniture is overpriced by the way).  Rooms To Go?  Won't be in business 12 months from now.  The cheapest and most overpriced crap in town.   Hilton?  Never been there.

Been to all the outlets.... crap.  Department stores like Dillards...  Macy's.... super crap and way, way overpriced.  The Dump.... no big deal.

Bottom line... we buy most stuff from Star Furniture.... higher priced... but best quality.  Have bought nice stuff from the Roomstore as well.  

Bottom Line 2:  Furniture is marked up more than anything outside of jewelry, and most furniture I've seen for years here in Houston is just plain crap as far as it's quality.

So in the end... go to Roomstore and Star Furniture... if you don't find anything there.... then hit all the others knowing the quality of the furniture is down on the totem pole.

Totally agree. Moved into a new house six months ago and bought a lot of new furniture. Shopped everywhere buy found nothing but junk everywhere but Star. Sure it cost a little more but it's better than paying for cheap crap that won't last. 

Yeah, I don't think I have ever walked in to a large furniture store and saw anything I've liked...or wasn't total overpriced crap. I either find it resale (more styles I like) or for a lot of $ at modern furniture stores.

I would agree that most of what the large furniture stores had was rubbish. I ended up buying most of my furniture online. Much better selection and prices.

Archived