Snack Food

lockmat

I nibble on tofu puffs that I pick up from Asia Market. Of course they are bland by themselves so I top them off with soy, sriracha or assorted other sauces. Other than that I often snack on nuts or olives. I think they are pretty healthy, plus I really love them.

I nibble on tofu puffs that I pick up from Asia Market. Of course they are bland by themselves so I top them off with soy, sriracha or assorted other sauces. Other than that I often snack on nuts or olives. I think they are pretty healthy, plus I really love them.

Delicious! However, most of those have a very high sodium content. Combined with the sodium hidden in the other foods you eat, it's possible that you're consuming way more than is healthy.

You have to be really careful of all the "protein" bars that are out there. Many are good, but many of the "heathly" ones are actually LOADED with sugar. Equivalent to a snickers bar, but they hide it under organic or whole grain... I'm pretty certain that brown rice syrup is just as bad for me as rice syrup, the whole thing make me furious.

Stick to whole foods as much as possible. Veggies and fruits are great and easy. Among many great ideas already mentioned, I also like to keep hummus on hand. Turns out its really easy to make with a food processor.

I used to eat Grape Nuts dry because I hate milk and you do have to be careful, but they're good dry. Except I haven't eaten them in years. Once I got sick and threw up Grape Nuts. The sight of it turned me off to them. The Grape Nuts didn't make me sick, they just happened to be what came up.

And the fact they have an uncanny resemblance to cat litter or that stuff they use to clean up vomit in elementary schools. (where's the sick smiley?)

Oooh baked sweet potato slices! I also threw in some sliced zucchini the other day (happened to have some hanging out in the refrigerator) and they came out pretty good, too..

Here's a really healthy one: baked kale. Same process, but cut up the kale and bake it til it's crispy (but not burnt). Quite yummy. I swear.

I am impressed with all the posts. You HAIFers are healthier than me, by far.

Speaking of protein, weird canned fish. Sardines, herring, etc. Mainly sardines. On a cracker, or a small piece of bread, with a tiny bit of mustard, and a little onion. Ummm. yumm. And extremely healthy with the omega 3s. Just don't eat a whole can at once.

Until I had to buckle down on my expenses, I used to really like sardines. I'd use them wherever I could, whether on their own, on a cracker (as you describe), or as a tasteful substitute for anchovies on a frozen cheese pizza. Mmmmm...gotta be careful not to drool on myself.

• Like 1

Here's a really healthy one: baked kale. Same process, but cut up the kale and bake it til it's crispy (but not burnt). Quite yummy. I swear.

are you the parent that brings things to the elementary school children's parties that the kids don't eat?

I am impressed with all the posts. You HAIFers are healthier than me, by far.

Beware generalization. I could take you to places where no English is spoken whatsoever; places where a chorizo, egg and cheese breakfast burrito covers the plate; places that before you eat the burrito, you must bite off a corner, hold it above your head, tilted towards you, and suckle the juices. Failure to comply with the infantile suckle proceedure may result in ruined grease-stained sleeves.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have rediscovered Twinkies, after 15 years of not partaking. I was at the grocery store, stumbled across them and thought: Hey! I remember these!

I have one Twinkie, with my coffee, every morning now. Not a healthy snack - but yummy.

Never had a Twinkie in my life. The idea of cream-filled anything just gags me.

I have rediscovered Twinkies, after 15 years of not partaking. I was at the grocery store, stumbled across them and thought: Hey! I remember these!

I have one Twinkie, with my coffee, every morning now. Not a healthy snack - but yummy.

Sounds tasty indeed.

Never had a Twinkie in my life. The idea of cream-filled anything just gags me.

Wait a minute. What about cream-filled donuts?

The apples at Caninos have sucked the past 2 weeks. What the hell.

This year's U.S. apple crop is just beginning to come on the market. Everything else has been in storage for months, is imported from the Southern Hemisphere, or both.

There are a lot of different varieties of apples, many of which we don't see in this part of the country. Some are good for eating out of hand, some are best for cooking, etc. To me, the ubiquitous "Red Delicious" just ain't what the name implies!

Edited by silverartfox

If they came in a 2-pack there's always someone else around who will eat the other one before you give in to temptation.

BTW, I've heard they sell Deep Fried Twinkies at fairs, rodeos, etc.!

• The title was changed to Yummy And Snacks

Has anyone ever hard of Aunt Ruby's Peanuts? Salted peanuts made from jumbo, Virginia style peanuts.

U78Aumr.jpg

https://www.auntrubyspeanuts.com/product/salted-peanuts/peanuts

The crunchy, water blanched peanuts retain their fresh taste due to the double sealed tins that serve as a natural form of preservation. Available in 20-ounce and 40-ounce tins, the peanuts are delicately roasted in natural corn oil and then lightly salted to bring out the familiar flavor. Munch on a handful of gourmet peanuts while watching a movie with the kids. Snack on Country Style Salted Peanuts while enjoying a televised baseball or football game. Any time of the day or night offers a perfect opportunity to eat delicious cocktail peanuts fresh from Halifax County.

Thinking about ordering more of their offerings as well. The honey roasted peanuts sound fantastic.  The Chocolate Peanut Clusters are so addicting. Some of the best chocolate covered nuts.  Considering this is mail-order peanuts, it is a bit expensive. Kind of like a Central Market type of gourmet food.

Just thought I would spread the word!  Some great peanuts!  The CM in-house roasted salted peanuts cannot compare :ph34r:

• The title was changed to Snack Food