Audi vs Lexus

aggie92

What is everyone's experience with these 2 brands and more importantly the dealerships here in Houston that sell these brands?

Audi - My experience so far with Audi is that they are not very customer service friendly which worries me about the after the sale service or warranty work. Last week we went to one of the dealerships and had an appointment and still had trouble getting attention and it took us an hour to test drive 2 vehicles and still never received an appraisal for a trade in that we requested. It was as if they weren't interested in selling a vehicle. Also, of the 3 emails sent to the 3 Houston dealerships, only one responded with a request that we should review their website to see what vehicles were available.

Lexus - Probably our 2nd choice solely based on preference, but the customer service was definitely there at the dealership. However online searches regarding dealership ratings reveal a low customer satisfaction. Although it might not be first choice, a strong service and after the sale follow up might move it up on the list.

What are your opinions?

What is everyone's experience with these 2 brands and more importantly the dealerships here in Houston that sell these brands?

Audi - My experience so far with Audi is that they are not very customer service friendly which worries me about the after the sale service or warranty work. Last week we went to one of the dealerships and had an appointment and still had trouble getting attention and it took us an hour to test drive 2 vehicles and still never received an appraisal for a trade in that we requested. It was as if they weren't interested in selling a vehicle. Also, of the 3 emails sent to the 3 Houston dealerships, only one responded with a request that we should review their website to see what vehicles were available.

Lexus - Probably our 2nd choice solely based on preference, but the customer service was definitely there at the dealership. However online searches regarding dealership ratings reveal a low customer satisfaction. Although it might not be first choice, a strong service and after the sale follow up might move it up on the list.

What are your opinions?

Oh, Lexus service is very helpful. You're taken to a private booth, and some guy sits across a table from you with hands folded, and says "how can we help you?" :huh: And you just want new key fob, because if you lose the one you have, a revamp of the security lockout is $3500 (ccough).

Get a Lexus and go to Clear Choice on the SW Freeway. They are Lexus certified. They seem to be cheaper than the dealers. Steve Ivey is a good guy.

I love my audi and had a great experience at Momentum on Richmond Ave. I bought a used car there when I moved back to town. I was in and out within 2 hours of walking in the front door. The car has been excellent to drive. I am most impressed with the AC the last few days. Damn, it's HOT.

I love love love the look of an Audi. Beautiful car. But everyone I know that has one, has an awful lot of problems with them. On the other hand, the Lexus can go a lifetime without a single need for service other than standard maintenance. Not as flashy but smooth smooth ride.

If money were no issue and I had a second car, for me, Audi. If reliability and ride were an issue, Lexus.

I love love love the look of an Audi. Beautiful car. But everyone I know that has one, has an awful lot of problems with them. On the other hand, the Lexus can go a lifetime without a single need for service other than standard maintenance. Not as flashy but smooth smooth ride.

If money were no issue and I had a second car, for me, Audi. If reliability and ride were an issue, Lexus.

I'm going to agree completely with EMME, even though I own neither. That's just my experience with conversations with owners over the years.

As far as good customer service goes, it should be part of the deal for either car. If someone is rated poorly and you sense a lack of interest, go elsewhere.

Hey, but I've got a 4 year old Chevy that I've never had to put in the shop, other than an oil change at 'Mister' on Kirby with a free car wash. B)

I've owned both an Audi and a Lexus.

I had an 2004 Audi A4 that I traded in to get a 2008 Lexus ES350. The Audi was far more "european exotic", where as the Lexus is just "Japanese upgraded". I feel like I driving a Toyota with all the options. That being said, I love Toyota! lol..

I liked both but when it comes to service, Lexus wins hands down. They're both gonna be expensive (service) but I think Lexus provides a better service environment than Audi, which just felt too posh and elite to be comfortable.

I have a 2002 Lexus IS300 with 120,000 miles... other than an oxygen sensor, the car has never needed any repairs. Its been a blast to drive, and the dealer service is excellent...

The service we get at Momentum VW on Richmond for our Touareg is pathetic in comparison... I hope Audi is better, but I wouldnt count on it...

If you keep your cars for awhile, get the Lexus.

Exactly. The Audi will be more fun and engaging to drive and I personally think they look better. But Audi's are not the most reliable cars and repairs are expensive. On the other hand, while they are reliable, Lexus focuses on providing a serene Buick-like drive that isolates you rather than engages you. It's great if that's what you want, it's just that it's not very exciting.

Exactly. The Audi will be more fun and engaging to drive and I personally think they look better. But Audi's are not the most reliable cars and repairs are expensive. On the other hand, while they are reliable, Lexus focuses on providing a serene Buick-like drive that isolates you rather than engages you. It's great if that's what you want, it's just that it's not very exciting.

I think you are spot on. It's all about what type of driving experience you are looking for. Audi=engaging, Lexus=isolating. Both excel at what they are designed for, it just depends on the driver to know what they want out of a vehicle.

As far as service, every person I know with a Lexus raves about their service. I don't hear the same from Audi owners, but a lot of that is due to Momentum and VW/Audi not maintaining strong dealer quality control like Toyota does. Sonic/Momentum has inner loopers by the cajones and they know it. It is unfortunate because I have had to strike Audi off my list for my next car purchase because I have had such crappy service from Momentum (VW and Volvo). I had mediocre service at my Honda dealer as well, but I never had to visit it, so I really didn't care. LOL.

With all that said, there are other makes out there that might strike a good balance (sex appeal of the Audi, better reliability like a Lexus). Have you considered anything else?

This August will be the tenth anniversary of the delivery of my A4 Avant (wagon). At 162,000 miles, it still smells new and rides tight. And I haven't had a car payment in five years, which helps to defray the occasional thousand-dollar repair. I was treated very well by the dealer, the salesman, and the service department. I got a fair price on the car and the service has always been fast and professional. I did special order my car and it took six months to arrive. That was a long six months! I have zero reason to believe that anything short of a catastrophic accident will ever take my car out of service. Small things break over time, but the big things are rock-solid.

Nothing rides and handles like an Audi, and no one has interior fit and finish like Audi. If you sometimes drive in a spirited way and your car's performance is something you enjoy, then you should _consider_ an Audi. If the idea of all wheel drive for handling and wet weather seems appealing, then you should _consider_ an Audi. If you are an enthusiast and you want to be part of an enthusiast community and you are comfortable doing some maintenance and repairs yourself, you should _consider_ an Audi. I have saved myself thousands of dollars over the years by doing simple repairs myself (like an electric radiator fan replacement and a central locking pump replacement)

If you want to drive German without paying as much, you should consider a VW Passat, Jetta, or Golf. You will probably be amazed at those cars' performance and interiors.

OK. Here's the other side. If reliability, convenience, and fuel economy are more important than driving dynamics. then you should go with Lexus. For that matter, unless you want an IS, which is a _great_ car, then you should cross shop Toyota, Honda, and Acura, too. I have heard lots of anecdotes about poor service from Audi dealers and great service from Lexus dealers but I have always had great service from my Audi dealer (West Houston). When I leave my car overnight for service, they usually loan me a new Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. By new I mean 2008 or 2009. Those cars are nowhere close to my ten-year-old Audi in interior materials or ride quailty. No. where. close. They are, however, perfectly decent cars that cost thousands less and are more reliable.

I have never been stranded by my Audi. I have been extremely diligent about scheduled maintenance, even the biggies like timing chain (twice), head gasket, and catalytic converters. I have had to have two heater core replacements (the dealer discounted the second one by 90%!) one A/C condenser replacement, CV boots, prop shafts, cam chain tensioner, radio (cassette failed twice), and headlight washer pump (twice). I have replaced fog lights, headlights, the radiator fan, the central locking pump, and installed a DICE iPod interface myself.

Not that you asked, but I gotta say, if I was looking for a midsize sedan I'd take a real hard look at the new Ford Fusion.

Can you love a car because it excites you? Consider Audi.

Can you love a car because it pampers you, and better yet doesn't annoy you? Consider Lexus.

Great info in this thread, thanks!

I'm thinking about retiring my faithful 1995 Subaru wagon and moving up to an Audi. Specifically an A3. I love the look and functionality of the hatchback, and I want a fun-driving, good-looking car to tool around in. Anyone on here have an A3 experience they'd like to share?

We already own an older Lexus LX 450. It's a beast - though I adore it, I'd like something a bit smaller and more fuel-efficient.

I'm thinking about retiring my faithful 1995 Subaru wagon and moving up to an Audi. Specifically an A3. I love the look and functionality of the hatchback, and I want a fun-driving, good-looking car to tool around in. Anyone on here have an A3 experience they'd like to share?

We already own an older Lexus LX 450. It's a beast - though I adore it, I'd like something a bit smaller and more fuel-efficient.

My brother in law had an A3 for about 6 months... they bought it thinking they could use the hatch for the dog... but it was entirely too small.

Great little car, just be sure its big enough for your needs.

My mom has a 1995 LS400. I've driven it numerous times and I found it to be a nice riding, well handling car. I don't have any experience with Audis. But have you considered a used 3-6 year old Mercedes-Benz E-class? Those are nice cars as well, especially the fuel sipping yet powerful diesels which don't smoke or clatter as their predecessors did.

Yes, the frog-eyed Benz E-class are very good cars. Diesels may be hard to find, but worth the effort. Modern German diesels are great for fuel economy and torque. One caveat: the early-to-mid 2000's models of E-class had some reliability problems. I suspect you will not find those cars to be significantly more reliable than Audi.

The Audi A3 and A4 are small. The A3 is basically the size of a Golf and the A4 is sorta between a Jetta and Passat. The A6 is big but very expensive. Seriously, if size issues are a concern you might be happier with a VW. I know someone with a diesel Jetta wagon who absolutely loves it.

Not sure about the Audi A3, but I was a passenger in a 2008 Audi A4 from Las Vegas to Sacramento - the interior was very nice and slightly understated and it handled the road very nicely. The pictures of the redesign this year were disappointing to me, though.

Great little car, just be sure its big enough for your needs

Well, like I said, we have a huge hulking SUV for people/stuff hauling. If I can get a hockey bag in the back with the seats folded down, I'm good.

My DINK lifestyle doesn't require a whole lot of hauling capacity B)

Not sure about the Audi A3, but I was a passenger in a 2008 Audi A4 from Las Vegas to Sacramento - the interior was very nice and slightly understated and it handled the road very nicely. The pictures of the redesign this year were disappointing to me, though.

I actually think my interior is nicer than the new ones. But the new ones are still very nice.

audi_15_passenger_ovrvw.jpg

audi_11_dash_overview.jpg

audi_14_passenger_detail.jpg

I do like the A3, but also consider the GTI or new Jetta Sportwagon (think they have the same engine as the A3). Another would be the BMW 328i wagon. I saw a new black 328i wagon with the sport package the other day and decided it must go on my car list. They are sufficiently rare as well, which is a plus for me.

I looked at the 3-series wagon when I got my A4. The A4 was bigger, cheaper, nicer inside, and had all-wheel-drive. You are going to pay a premium for that BMW roundel.

Having said that, I have driven a new 5-series BMW wagon and would definitely consider it. But that may be more expensive than you want.

One caveat: the early-to-mid 2000's models of E-class had some reliability problems.

A tad bit off topic here. I think I can agree with your statement as the quality of MB cars started to decline around the 1990-1994 timeframe in which a series of events happened. In 1991, they stopped production of the W126 chassis S-class and introduced the W140 chassis S-class that was too overengineered (usually, MB overengineering isn't a bad thing, but in this case, ick!), in 1990 they introduced the infamous 3.5L rod bending diesel engine (their only flawed diesel engine ever) and they began to use wiring harnesses that deteriorated quickly around 1993 or 94. It seems that in the past few years, things at MB have started to turn around and go back to the pre-1992 days when they were putting out pure workhorses. My daily driver is a 1982 300D Turbodiesel. 392k miles and still chugging strong!

A tad bit off topic here. I think I can agree with your statement as the quality of MB cars started to decline around the 1990-1994 timeframe in which a series of events happened. In 1991, they stopped production of the W126 chassis S-class and introduced the W140 chassis S-class that was too overengineered (usually, MB overengineering isn't a bad thing, but in this case, ick!), in 1990 they introduced the infamous 3.5L rod bending diesel engine (their only flawed diesel engine ever) and they began to use wiring harnesses that deteriorated quickly around 1993 or 94. It seems that in the past few years, things at MB have started to turn around and go back to the pre-1992 days when they were putting out pure workhorses. My daily driver is a 1982 300D Turbodiesel. 392k miles and still chugging strong!

I did not know that, but yes, those 80s Benz diesels are beasts! I was referring specifically to the early attempts at integrated electronic controls, known today as COMAND. The first-generation version of that almost single-handedly destroyed M-B's reputation for quality in the US in the first years of this decade. The problem-ridden ML-class didn't help, either, though it's a lot better now.

I test drove the BMW 5 series but went with the Audi in the end. I just liked it better, especially on Houston's terrible streets.

Has anyone else seen Volvo's C30 (I think that's what it is?). I love that thing. It's a cool little bubble. Might want to check that out too.

I test drove the BMW 5 series but went with the Audi in the end. I just liked it better, especially on Houston's terrible streets.

Has anyone else seen Volvo's C30 (I think that's what it is?). I love that thing. It's a cool little bubble. Might want to check that out too.

Love the C30, but the hatch area looks very compromised by the straight-back glass. Fun to look, and I bet enjoyable to drive, but a GTI would be a better alternative.

Having owned both an Audi and a Lexus I can offer you the following insight:

The Audi was horrendously unreliable, requiring several trips to the dealer (Momentum on Richmond) to have issues resolved, and usually each issue would require one or more follow-up visits because they didn't fix it right the first time or damaged something else in the process of fixing the original problem. The materials used in the interior were nice, it was amusing to drive, but I can think of cars that are more fun to drive. (Infiniti)

The Lexus was dead reliable and the one time I had to take it to the dealer (Sterling McCall) for warranty work they offered to cover it if I needed to bring it back in later, even though by that point I was going to be just out of warranty. They offered to do this even though I didn't buy the car there. The materials used in the Lexus were on par with what was in the Audi except that the Audi had real bits of metal here and there which was a nice touch. The Lexus was indeed rather Buick-like to drive; but even though it was a snooze-fest to drive, it was an endearing car. I can't put my finger on why...other than it just seemed like everything was in the right place, and the car just did everything it should when it should.

Also, the Lexus was a MONUMENTALLY more refined car. They have ALL the little details sorted...take for example the A/C compressor. When the compressor cycled on in the Audi, you could hear an audible click from under the hood (compressor clutch), you could feel the engine briefly shudder and you could hear the refrigerant quietly hissing through the expansion valve under the dash. In the Lexus? NOTHING. No click, no shudder, ho hiss. Just cool air.

Having owned both an Audi and a Lexus I can offer you the following insight:

The Audi was horrendously unreliable, requiring several trips to the dealer (Momentum on Richmond) to have issues resolved, and usually each issue would require one or more follow-up visits because they didn't fix it right the first time or damaged something else in the process of fixing the original problem. The materials used in the interior were nice, it was amusing to drive, but I can think of cars that are more fun to drive. (Infiniti)

Depends on the Infinitl. I don't think Nissan has a clue about engine refinement or interior design. But the new ones do handle well, and they are fast. I'm not going to argue about the reliability. Audi forums are full of people with the same story. There are even lots of people who were excited about their Audi who post things like "Never again."

The Lexus was dead reliable and the one time I had to take it to the dealer (Sterling McCall) for warranty work they offered to cover it if I needed to bring it back in later, even though by that point I was going to be just out of warranty. They offered to do this even though I didn't buy the car there. The materials used in the Lexus were on par with what was in the Audi except that the Audi had real bits of metal here and there which was a nice touch. The Lexus was indeed rather Buick-like to drive; but even though it was a snooze-fest to drive, it was an endearing car. I can't put my finger on why...other than it just seemed like everything was in the right place, and the car just did everything it should when it should.

The simplest way to describe the difference in driving dynamics is to drive the car hard. A Lexus (except for the IS series) will tell you, through the seat of your pants, "Uh oh, slow down, getting a little dicey here." An Audi will tell you in exactly the same way, "OK, then. Let's get serious." The three or four times I've ever gotten close to 8/10ths or so of what the car will do, it's like having a different car. I freely admit that I am not a good enough driver and public roads are not the place. But my ten-year-old Audi station wagon clearly has shown hints of capabilities far beyond everyday demands.

Also, the Lexus was a MONUMENTALLY more refined car. They have ALL the little details sorted...take for example the A/C compressor. When the compressor cycled on in the Audi, you could hear an audible click from under the hood (compressor clutch), you could feel the engine briefly shudder and you could hear the refrigerant quietly hissing through the expansion valve under the dash. In the Lexus? NOTHING. No click, no shudder, ho hiss. Just cool air.

I'll bet you had a late '90s/early 2000s 1.8 turbo four. That engine had some issues with refinement and reliability. The A/C compressor cycling is quite noticeably absent on my 2.8 V6. Lexus wood looks like plastic to me. And the switchgear is standard Toyota. But if you want a comfortable, reliable, cushy appliance for driving, with little drama and little excitement, there's probably nothing better.

Archived