House In Riverside Terrace With A Bridge Driveway

JLWM8609

I saw footage of it in "This Is Our Home, It Is Not For Sale". I can't imagine where it would be located, I've never seen it in real life around here, leading me to believe it was demolished years back. Any of you more "seasoned" folks around here remember the house with the bridge driveway?

• Like 1

I saw footage of it in "This Is Our Home, It Is Not For Sale". I can't imagine where it would be located, I've never seen it in real life around here, leading me to believe it was demolished years back. Any of you more "seasoned" folks around here remember the house with the bridge driveway?

Now I really must get that video, you've unlocked a mystery...Please, someone, tell us about the bridge house!

Riverside gets more fascinating every day.

Now I really must get that video, you've unlocked a mystery...Please, someone, tell us about the bridge house!

Riverside gets more fascinating every day.

This particular house seemed to front one of the old pathways where the old Brays Bayou ran, which leads me to believe that it was located somewhere on Parkwood. It was a bridge of a "nice" length, not like a ditch crossing, it had wooden guardrails painted white and all. I think the whole bridge was made of wood, and a still shot showed that the end of the bridge was at a T-intersection. There's one house on N. MacGregor just west of Tierwester that has such a bridge, but it's a later design, more MCM than traditional, and the bridge is made of concrete. I'll take a look at historicaerials.com and see what I can find out.

Ok, I "might" have found it. I see in 1957, there was a house located near the T-intersection of Sampson and Ewing that was torn down and replaced by some apartments by 1964. I cannot tell because there is a watermark in the way, but I think I can barely make out where a bridge driveway may have been.

Here's a screenshot with a crudely marked diagram, showing the location of the house with an oversized red circle, and a green squiggle representing the driveway.

riverside1957.jpg

Is this familiar, anyone?

That's got to be it. In a twist of fate, those apartments that replaced that house got flooded badly during Ike (that's what happens when you build where the natural course of the bayou used to be!), and I believe that they'll be demolished. As to what will go there? Who knows. I'm hoping for retro design MCM homes that fit in with the neighborhood, but I'm not holding my breath, lol. As much as many folks here despise them, I'd rather see some single family McMansions or ugly high priced townhomes there rather than more low-income apartments or a strip center. The lesser of the evils I suppose.

Edited by JLWM8609

• 2 weeks later...

When I finished watching the video, I actually drove down every street in Riverside and the adjacent areas trying to see what the homes look like today. I did try to find this home with the bridge, but could never figure out it's location. That location on Sampson never came to mind as everyone said that was the old Ben Taub estate. I always thought it was on that big lot on corner of N. Macgregor and 288 because you can still see several large ravines running through property and the old apartments that were built there did have several little bridges .

Edited by spikey2

When I finished watching the video, I actually drove down every street in Riverside and the adjacent areas trying to see what the homes look like today. I did try to find this home with the bridge, but could never figure out it's location. That location on Sampson never came to mind as everyone said that was the old Ben Taub estate. I always thought it was on that big lot on corner of N. Macgregor and 288 because you can still see several large ravines running through property and the old apartments that were built there did have several little bridges .

In this situation, I've found that an address can be vital. But so much changes over time, even addresses in some situations. Can anyone verify the address for the Taub estate?

As a side note, I read recently that when the subdivision was first laid out, in the 1920's-30's, the elite estate southern side was known as Riverside, mid-to-high income lots on the northern side were in the section known as Riverside Terrace.

Henry MacGregor planned Riverside, but his wishes were carried out by his wife and executors of his estate, land sold to the Riverside Land Company for development, after his death.

Edited by NenaE

• 4 weeks later...

The Sanborn maps tell me there was a very large lot w/house that sat at N. MacGregor Way & Sampson, address: 5410 Sampson, or 3115, 3119 N. Macgregor Way. Backed to rr tracks. So you are saying that was the Ben Taub estate?

Other large estate lots w/ homes I noticed nearby were in the Crescent Island area. They are no longer there.

2416 Riverside Dr. & 2243 Hermann Dr. (Av.) both addresses associated w/ huge corner lot w/ estate home, bayou (old channel) ran thru corner of it.

2420 (N.) MacGregor Way, bayou runs thru it, huge lot. Nothing there now.

• The title was changed to House In Riverside Terrace With A Bridge Driveway