Houston Methodist Walter & Centennial Tower

Jax

• 2 weeks later...

They missed a great opportunity to make one of these white and the other black. That way whenever I fly into Houston again I can point to the literal play on the famous yen-yang symbol. Oh well.

Edited by Luminare

8 minutes ago, tangledwoods said:

keep seeing those lovely little Tadano Mantis cranes on jobs around town.  Those things are dope, crazy to think they have gone from unicorn status to common in such a short time.

I've operated several different Mantis crawlers and hated them, seemed like 1980's style technology that weren't operator friendly. When they got bought out or merged with Tadano I thought they would be better but the one I operated was more like a Mantis than a Tadano, which are the best cranes I've ever operated. The one I operated was basically a Mantis with the Tadano computer. Hopefully they are better now.

The refinery I was working at had mostly Grove Rt cranes when I started but by the time I left all the Groves had all been replaced with a total fleet of Tadano Rt's from 15 ton - 160 ton, all the operators loved them. They were considered the cream of the crop as far as rough terrain cranes go.  The one in Highrise Tower's pics look more like the real Tadanos. The Mantis cranes had horrible sight lines, operator couldn't even see his right track which could be a hazard if someone was standing there. Uncomfortable seats, you had to get your back off the seat to reach the crane levers, just bad ergonomic design.

• Like 2