Houston traffic stories

Trae

Yesterday evening, me and some friends were coming from Uptown, and we ended up going northbound on Beltway 8. Traffic was building up, I look to my right, and people are leaving the freeway by way of the entrance ramp at Briar Forest, just before the toll booth. We laughed, and did the same. It was a long line. Cars were doing off-roading on the grass between the freeway and feeder not to stay in line. I love Houston.

Edit: Oh, and once we got off, traffic started moving smoothly again. We didn't complain. Saved us $1.50.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen trucks go off-roading along 610 if the traffic slows too much and there isn't an exit ramp nearby.

Real trucks, though. Not the ones that look like sewing machines on reflective wagon wheels. Trucks with stick shifts and without multi-zone climate control.

That's why you see all of those ugly ruts in the green space between the feeder road and the mainlanes. On one end, folks complain about the ugliness along the freeways, yet, they're the same ones contributing to the ugliness. Not only is it making our roadways ugly, it's unsafe and it's cheating, like people who drive on the shoulder and cross the double white line to race to the front of a long line of cars exiting the freeway. Most new TxDOT construction has concrete barriers blocking cars from accessing the green space between the feeder road and mainlanes. They should retrofit that feature to older roadways as well.

I've seen trucks go off-roading along 610 if the traffic slows too much and there isn't an exit ramp nearby.

Real trucks, though. Not the ones that look like sewing machines on reflective wagon wheels. Trucks with stick shifts and without multi-zone climate control.

I've done it in my car when waiting in traffic behind an accident. It's not as though grass is a serious hazard, even to a sporty sedan with low clearance.

That's why you see all of those ugly ruts in the green space between the feeder road and the mainlanes. On one end, folks complain about the ugliness along the freeways, yet, they're the same ones contributing to the ugliness. Not only is it making our roadways ugly, it's unsafe and it's cheating, like people who drive on the shoulder and cross the double white line to race to the front of a long line of cars exiting the freeway. Most new TxDOT construction has concrete barriers blocking cars from accessing the green space between the feeder road and mainlanes. They should retrofit that feature to older roadways as well.

That is a horrible idea, they should plant trees and put spike strips and land mines in there instead!

Traffic stories - my daily is pretty much the same.

Same out-of-towners trying to find their way around the medical center (and MetroRail).

Same d-bags in lanes that end or are turn-only zipping in front.

Same weirdos who think that stopping their vehicle on a MetroRail train track isn't really stopping on a train track :wacko:

And oh yeah, same 3-4 mile commute that takes thirty minutes on a good day. That's living in the big city for ya...alas!

With or without steering wheel heaters?

I just wish they could find an effective way to get all of the northbound SW fwy/59 traffic to stay to the right when approaching the downtown spur. It's hopeless, I know, but it does add quite a bit of time to my drive home, just wading through the last-minute lane changers.

I've done it in my car when waiting in traffic behind an accident. It's not as though grass is a serious hazard, even to a sporty sedan with low clearance.

I used to do this in my small coupe along I-10 Katy eastbound before it was rebuilt. Sitting in traffic for 90 minutes to go less than 20 miles will cause you to do such things to maintain sanity.

I just wish they could find an effective way to get all of the northbound SW fwy/59 traffic to stay to the right when approaching the downtown spur. It's hopeless, I know, but it does add quite a bit of time to my drive home, just wading through the last-minute lane changers.

Those last-minute lane changers, the ones who drive to the front of the queue in a turning lane...there's a special place in hell for them, and it burns a little hotter there.

This phenomenon isn't just limited to Houston. I was driving back to Houston from San Antonio on Sunday, and I was on I-10 EB between 410 and 1604. They were doing some utility work on some high voltage wires which go over the highway, so the left lane of I-10 was closed and all traffic was diverted to the right lane of I-10. Some folks couldn't wait, so they made their own exit ramps, but SAPD was right there to catch them. Then to add insult to injury, folks who made it to the feeder via their instant offramp were made to turn around and get back on the freeway since the feeder was closed under the high voltage wires.

This phenomenon isn't just limited to Houston. I was driving back to Houston from San Antonio on Sunday, and I was on I-10 EB between 410 and 1604. They were doing some utility work on some high voltage wires which go over the highway, so the left lane of I-10 was closed and all traffic was diverted to the right lane of I-10. Some folks couldn't wait, so they made their own exit ramps, but SAPD was right there to catch them. Then to add insult to injury, folks who made it to the feeder via their instant offramp were made to turn around and get back on the freeway since the feeder was closed under the high voltage wires.

web.jpg

Those last-minute lane changers, the ones who drive to the front of the queue in a turning lane...there's a special place in hell for them, and it burns a little hotter there.

I am particularly fond of how they put up a quarter mile of candlesticks to inhibit this and now there's just a quarter mile of candlestick bases.

I am particularly fond of how they put up a quarter mile of candlesticks to inhibit this and now there's just a quarter mile of candlestick bases.

They should cover them with some sort of industrial-strength flypaper so they stick to the cars that hit them.

I ramp hop..

When i used to work I-10 and Dairy Ashford and lived off Washington, I used to have memorized which exits I could take each way that would allow me to hop back on before reaching a light.

People on the freeway are scared off being in the right hand lane when they see "Exit only" signs... which works great for drivers like myself in times of heavy traffic.

I do the same now on 59 every evening on my way downtown to pick up my wife.

Coming from Weslayn - Hop on the freeway between Edloe and Buffalo Speedway. Evening Rushhour traffic starts about this point. Exit Kirby. Get Back on to Leap Kirby. Big savings is Getting off again at Shepherd. Shepherd-Greenway are timed so they are essentially 1 light. Before the Shepherd exit, its easy enough to see the level of traffic at the light... if its thin enough that you'll only have to wait for one light... it always pays to exit then get back on past Shepherd.

This also works in heavy traffic on the spaghetti bowl. Take the Right side exit over Memorial that leads to 2-3 downtown/midtown streets... then just hop back on 45 a quarter-mile down. You can point and laugh at the 50 cars you pass by.

When I drive.. every single car between me and my destination is one too many. If i have an opportunity to pass up one car, I take it.... because that one car may be the d-tard that exits in front of me, stays in the right hand lane and prevents me from turning right on red. Every car in front of me has the potential to cost me several minutes.

So if i can ramp hop and bypass 50-100 cars.... hells yeah.

I am definitely one of those queue jumpers you all hate.. There is no way I'm going to wait an extra 5 minutes behind 50 cars, when the natural accordion stop and go nature of a line of traffic will guarantee me a spot up near the front.

The secret is to always aim for just in front of big trucks or vans that have slow acceleration.

Treat driving like a game... always striving for the path of least resistance in order to win.... you'll find driving and traffic in general a much more pleasant experience.

Edit.... I scanned past this thread and thought this was more of a traffic confessionals type of thread.... oh well... keeping my post here.

ok when you read this sentence and don't remember the thread you're in...my does one's mind wander. :lol:

I thought the exact same thing when I read that post. I think it says more about you and me than it does about TheNiche, though.

Now I don't feel so alone admitting that I thought the same thing, too.

Well, I proudly admit to not knowing what the heck y'all were talking about until I read back through the thread. Sounds like I need the happy hour. Seriously, it's getting to be that time again. I regret missing Marfrelles the last time.

I ramp hop..

I am definitely one of those queue jumpers you all hate.. There is no way I'm going to wait an extra 5 minutes behind 50 cars, when the natural accordion stop and go nature of a line of traffic will guarantee me a spot up near the front. The secret is to always aim for just in front of big trucks or vans that have slow acceleration.

:angry: Seems like an awful lot of work to save a few minutes. Also, keep in mind that crossing the solid white 'safety lines' carries a pretty hefty fine. I never knew that until a friend of mine was ticketed. It was like $300. Luckily, I rarely have to use freeways, because drivers like you would just P me O! :angry:

:angry: Seems like an awful lot of work to save a few minutes. Also, keep in mind that crossing the solid white 'safety lines' carries a pretty hefty fine. I never knew that until a friend of mine was ticketed. It was like $300. Luckily, I rarely have to use freeways, because drivers like you would just P me O! :angry:

No.. actually its no extra work... it's quite easy. And I don't wait so long as to cross double or even solid white lines.

But when there is a quarter to half mile of regular dashed lane with backed up traffic... yah, no thanks.

and smile ... it'll make driving more fun. I rarely get :angry: while driving.

Grand Parkway speeding is fun (in South Katy). :) I drive like Highway6 by the way. Long line? Hell no. I'll cut to the front and do my "wave", or have one of my friends stick their thumb up in the hair.

Grand Parkway speeding is fun (in South Katy). :) I drive like Highway6 by the way. Long line? Hell no. I'll cut to the front and do my "wave", or have one of my friends stick their thumb up in the hair.

just because i have no issue cutting in front of 50 sheep doesnt mean i speed for the fun of it as well, trae.

i only speed for safety reasons.

Archived