Houston #15 for Twitterers

For those of you who tweet, you might be interested in knowing that Houston is the world's 15th most popular twittering location.

http://twitter.grader.com/top/cities created the ranking based on the locations people stated in their Twitter profiles.

Top five --

1. London
  2. Los Angeles
  3. Chicago
  4. New York
  5. San Francisco

On a related note, HAIF is on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/HAIF

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why I would want to read someone's random thoughts "140 characters at a time" is absolutely beyond me. And, why anyone would want to type it is also beyond me. Just because technology makes it possible doesn't mean that anyone cares that you're going to the grocery store.

Why I would want to read someone's random thoughts "140 characters at a time" is absolutely beyond me. And, why anyone would want to type it is also beyond me. Just because technology makes it possible doesn't mean that anyone cares that you're going to the grocery store.

If you subscribe to a Twitter feed about someone going to the grocery store, then you'll find out when he's going to the grocery store. It's like any other part of the internet -- you pick the things you're interested in. No one forces the random stoner tweets on you.

I used to think the same thing, but Twitter is actually an amazing community of like-minded people who all have at least one thing in common: they love technology. From there, you'll find people who also love food, sports, politics, travel, pets, photography, music, etc. It's just a way of expanding your social network like anything else. Yes, we're geeky -- but in a social way -- and we're all just plain ol' nice. I'm amazed with the quality of people I've met through Twitter.

You never know till you try it. :)

p.s. I'm @sheeats on Twitter. ;)

Houston is probably high on the list because of the amount of time people here spend in traffic. Unbelievably, I see even more texting while driving now than a year ago!

I love technology, but don't have a need to keep expanding my social circle. I already have more relationships than time to attend to them.

Less intensive and easier to create posts than blogs, huh? Exactly my point. Less intensive means less thought. I am not the least bit interested in being forced to read someone else's shallow thoughts. I already have text messaging to exchange mindless tidbits with close friends. I have no need or desire to blast it to thousands, nor have their's blasted at me.

And social interaction? About the only thing more socially shallow than a twitter text would be collecting friends on Facebook. There have always been those who value the quantity of 'friends' over the quality. Back in high school, you could usually tell who they were because they were on the cheerleading and pep squads. I admit that for those who value quantity over quality, twitter and facebook and myspace are good tools to increase the head count. I will also admit that I have little use for it.

Less intensive and easier to create posts than blogs, huh? Exactly my point. Less intensive means less thought. I am not the least bit interested in being forced to read someone else's shallow thoughts. I already have text messaging to exchange mindless tidbits with close friends. I have no need or desire to blast it to thousands, nor have their's blasted at me.

And social interaction? About the only thing more socially shallow than a twitter text would be collecting friends on Facebook. There have always been those who value the quantity of 'friends' over the quality. Back in high school, you could usually tell who they were because they were on the cheerleading and pep squads. I admit that for those who value quantity over quality, twitter and facebook and myspace are good tools to increase the head count. I will also admit that I have little use for it.

Awww, Red. So bitter over such a silly thing! :lol:

I think what houstonmacbro meant when he said that it's "less intensive and easier to create posts than blogs" is that -- occasionally -- it's much easier to post a quick Twitter update to your friends that "Beaver's is adding rattlesnake to the menu!" than to sit down and write an entire blog post about it. Your network may or may not choose to respond to that statement, but when they do...the interaction is really amazing. It's entirely different than comments on a blog post. It's real-time interaction with people who may not ever read a food blog, for example, but are on Twitter and happen to follow you. So the depth and breadth of the conversation/interaction changes, too.

Twitter is about more than being "socially shallow." And I can promise you that I -- and most people on there, in fact -- were not the cheerleading types in high school. I was and still am a shy yet friendly dork, which is -- I think -- the primary demographic of most people on Twitter anyway. :D

Kids in particular are twitter users. My kiddo is constantly tweeting on what she is doing or going. she updates that she is in class, what coffee shop she is going to, or what her professor(or boyfriend) is doing to piss her off.

It is getting to the point where I don't have to call her as much to see how she is doing.

then again I read the tweet that read: "It's about time to call dad again, I'm getting tired of Ramen noods."

2 minutes later, my phone rang.

Kids in particular are twitter users. My kiddo is constantly tweeting on what she is doing or going. she updates that she is in class, what coffee shop she is going to, or what her professor(or boyfriend) is doing to piss her off.

It is getting to the point where I don't have to call her as much to see how she is doing.

then again I read the tweet that read: "It's about time to call dad again, I'm getting tired of Ramen noods."

2 minutes later, my phone rang.

At least you're communicating.

Translation: "Durned kids, get off my lawn!"

Sounds like a stalker's dream! B)

Back in high school, you could usually tell who they were because they were on the cheerleading and pep squads. I admit that for those who value quantity over quality, twitter and facebook and myspace are good tools to increase the head count.

It's sort of interesting that HAIF doesn't have any rabid feminists that would pounce on this kind of gender-biased assertion. I wonder whether I could draw any heat if I expanded your generalization of high school archetypes to include the gay guys in the drama/theater department.

I will also admit that I have little use for it.

Well yeah, no kidding. You, memebag, and myself are all straight American males after all. And ricco at least has a legitimate purpose to monitor it.

Well yeah, no kidding. You, memebag, and myself are all straight American males after all. And ricco at least has a legitimate purpose to monitor it.

Is it coincidence that the 3 posters on HAIF that type the longest and most(sometimes) in-depth posts also have the least use for twitter? I think not.

I went to twitter's homepage on the off chance that I was actually misunderstanding the allure of this dynamic new killer app. Look at how twitter itself advertises it...

What? Twitter is a service for friends, family, and co

.... You, memebag, and myself are all straight American males after all. And ricco at least has a legitimate purpose to monitor it.

More accurately, my DAUGHTER uses it. I got an app for my G1 (I heart my phone) that buzzes every time she updates.

I agree with Red overall, though.

But if you already have a good sized social circle, then I am sure it comes in handy. Particularly if you want to see what everyone else is doing on a friday to get together for an impromptu party.

Another use might be for close, but scattered, family members to keep in touch.

If I understand Twitter... doesn't it go something like this:

1.) I have a Twitter account.

2.) People can subcribe to my twitting.

so... if I tweet: "I am going to lunch" ...

...and over 10,000 people are subcribing to my twitting (or twatting?)...

they will all get message: BryanS is going to lunch.

Thank God, we know.

I have never had the need to tell so many people, at one time, that I am going to lunch. Ridiculous.

Someone please explain how this is useful.

I have never had the need to tell so many people, at one time, that I am going to lunch. Ridiculous.

well, hopefully you are saying where you're going, so I can show up and try to get you to buy my lunch.

That would be pretty useful.

Far more useful than, say, alligator at Beavers or Red drinking girly flavored coffee creamer.

edit: Tweet!

If I understand Twitter... doesn't it go something like this:

1.) I have a Twitter account.

2.) People can subcribe to my twitting.

so... if I tweet: "I am going to lunch" ...

...and over 10,000 people are subcribing to my twitting (or twatting?)...

they will all get message: BryanS is going to lunch.

Thank God, we know.

Its not very usefull in the way you describe, but it works for friends or family.

The way the kiddo explained; it simply a good way to tell friends what you're doing to see if they can join you for lunch/dinner/hang out or know if you're going to be busy studying or whatever.

The only ones subscribed to her tweets are old/new classmates, friends from home, and me.

One of HAIF's sister sites tweets updates news of upcoming community meetings.

Once Chicago Architecture Info tweeted live alerts during the announcement of the conversion of an historic skyscraper into a boutique hotel.

Dell Computer tweets internet-only discounts.

A number of large TV stations and networks tweet breaking news.

There are services that tweet daily weather forecasts.

Again, just because one person uses it to talk about their bellybutton doesn't mean the platform is without merit. Dismissing it out-of-hand without exploring its possibilities is foolish.

What's wrong with alligator or vanilla or caramel? I like all those things. A lot.

All of those things are a heck of a lot more useful than that possessed-looking pomeranian in your avatar.

The avatar? Can't shake it now.

Don't mess with the pom.

Possessed doesn't even begin to describe it.

Where's BryanS going to lunch?

Alligator is best deep fried.

coffee creamer, gag.

Tweet!

;) Hey, I think I'm getting the hang of it. As long as I stay on top of the character count, I could sound like a crazy person all damn day. Tweet!

One of HAIF's sister sites tweets updates news of upcoming community meetings.

Once Chicago Architecture Info tweeted live alerts during the announcement of the conversion of an historic skyscraper into a boutique hotel.

Dell Computer tweets internet-only discounts.

A number of large TV stations and networks tweet breaking news.

There are services that tweet daily weather forecasts.

Again, just because one person uses it to talk about their bellybutton doesn't mean the platform is without merit. Dismissing it out-of-hand without exploring its possibilities is foolish.

ed is right about certain applications for it. I have relied on IM for a lot of things, this is sort of the next step. I could care less about how bloggers use it but there are a few things I like pushed to me, rather than seeking out myself.

Say, it just occurred to me that the title of this thread has a grammatical error. Twitter is a verb, and one who twitters would be a twit. Those who twitter would be twits, not twitterers.

Btw, seriously, pooch must die.

Interesting point. But since a Twitter message is a "tweet" maybe the correct word is "Tweeters?"

Archived