Houston #15 for Twitterers

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol...this is retareded:

The race to the one millionth Twitter follower has heated up.

Britney Spears has joined Ashton Kutcher and CNN in the race to the one millionth follower on Twitter.

(ABC News)Pop star Britney Spears has decided to throw her hat into the ring, joining actor Ashton Kutcher and the TV network CNN in the battle to be the most popular of the Twitterati.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Celebrity...1990&page=1

I look at Twitter like I use to look at Starbucks, I just don't get it. Why is it popular?

Twitter haters and Starbucks haters often have something in common. They use false claims to back up their arguments.

Twitter haters (like the video posted above) make it seem like people are bombarded by trivial messages they don't want to hear. In reality, you have to specifically subscribe to someone's messages to see them. Your Twitter experience can be as loud or quiet as you choose to make it.

Starbucks haters make it seem like all of the beverages there are $5 and above. In reality, you can get a cup of coffee at Starbucks for under a dollar, and in many markets coffee is cheaper at Starbucks than at Dunkin' Donuts. Your Starbucks experience can be as cheap or as expensive as you choose to make it.

But that gets to the root of it all -- "haters" aren't interested in the truth. Only in shouting down other people to make themselves feel superior.

I find Facebook pretty useful because as a grad student, most people I know are on it (including my PhD advisor). It's a good place to post photos or links I find interesting to share with people that I know. It's also a good way to keep up with people from the past (old friends, old roommates, people from high school and undergrad)..I'm not into friend collecting and I always reject people I don't know in real life who try to add me as a "friend". But I don't really get the point of Twitter. Isn't it like Facebook status updates without the rest of Facebook? Is there anything more that Twitter can do that Facebook can't?

I find Facebook pretty useful because as a grad student, most people I know are on it (including my PhD advisor). It's a good place to post photos or links I find interesting to share with people that I know. It's also a good way to keep up with people from the past (old friends, old roommates, people from high school and undergrad)..I'm not into friend collecting and I always reject people I don't know in real life who try to add me as a "friend". But I don't really get the point of Twitter. Isn't it like Facebook status updates without the rest of Facebook? Is there anything more that Twitter can do that Facebook can't?

Twitter is a LOT like Facebook status updates without all the other baggage of Facebook. Don't get me wrong, I like both, but I find Twitter to be more like status updates combined with email combined with a newsgroup. I use TweetDeck and you can see your general follower comments in one column, replies that others have made to you in another, direct replies from/to people in another and so on. It's a lot like a newsgroup in that respect.

I have found that I do not like the Twitter website all that much as it is kind of lame and confusing. IMHO, you really need a client (like TweetDeck) to understand and enjoy Twitter.

But that gets to the root of it all -- "haters" aren't interested in the truth. Only in shouting down other people to make themselves feel superior.

Couldn't this statement also apply to Twitterers and Starbuckers who are offended at those who fail to squael like a little girl at every new app or flavor?

Couldn't this statement also apply to Twitterers and Starbuckers who are offended at those who fail to squael like a little girl at every new app or flavor?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone become offended that another person wasn't happy about a new flavor at Starbucks. When did you see this happen? I don't think Starbucks has introduced a new flavor since it offered the raspberry/mango squishies about three years ago.

And Twitter doesn't have apps.

web.png

I was in the same boat as you. Twitter is almost exactly like facebook updates. (houstonmacbro describes the difference well)

But I think the usefulness is not in getting updates from your friends (which I almost get none of), but getting updates from the Wall Street Journal, the HBJ or other news outlets. I've been using it for getting information, not for Britney Spears or Ashton Kutcher.

Twitter haters and Starbucks haters often have something in common. They use false claims to back up their arguments.

Twitter haters (like the video posted above) make it seem like people are bombarded by trivial messages they don't want to hear. In reality, you have to specifically subscribe to someone's messages to see them. Your Twitter experience can be as loud or quiet as you choose to make it.

Starbucks haters make it seem like all of the beverages there are $5 and above. In reality, you can get a cup of coffee at Starbucks for under a dollar, and in many markets coffee is cheaper at Starbucks than at Dunkin' Donuts. Your Starbucks experience can be as cheap or as expensive as you choose to make it.

editor, I'm not a hater of Starbucks and Twitter, I actually understand them. I just hate it when people jump on a bandwagon just because its what everyone else is doing and they think that it makes them cool. Another site that I'm tired of is myspace.

Can't believe I spent-don't know how many-minutes reading these three pages.

Twitter is not the most popular 't' search on google, like 'o' for obama, 'f' for facebook or 'w' for walmart.

Twitter beaters on google search includes target, toys r us, ticketmaster, t mobile.

'Does google's most popular search changes by the time of the day?' will be my next research.

editor, I'm not a hater of Starbucks and Twitter, I actually understand them. I just hate it when people jump on a bandwagon just because its what everyone else is doing and they think that it makes them cool. Another site that I'm tired of is myspace.

I didn't mean for it to sound like I was singling you out. I wasn't. I was speaking generally about people who are haters. I just posted a reply to your post because it had that clever (though way too long) video.

There was a cool anti-Facebook video a few months ago where people showed up at this guy's house and acted like people do on Facebook, poking the guy in the stomach, spray painting messages on the outside walls of his house and showing pictures of him drunk to his boss. It as pretty funny, too.

Can't believe I spent-don't know how many-minutes reading these three pages.

Twitter is not the most popular 't' search on google, like 'o' for obama, 'f' for facebook or 'w' for walmart.

Twitter beaters on google search includes target, toys r us, ticketmaster, t mobile.

'Does google's most popular search changes by the time of the day?' will be my next research.

I'm not sure what your point is. Fan or foe, if you've already heard of Twitter, you're not going to search for it in Google, you're just going to go to or avoid the web site.

• 2 weeks later...

Twitter in the news...

Twitter Most Overhyped Technology In America.

Opinion of the editor of MIT Technology Review, not mine.

Twitter becomes hotbed of hype and misinformation over Swine Flu.

Slattery, the PC World writer, said he generally was excited about Twitter until recently. Now he finds the site to be "an incredibly unreliable source of information."

If people are linking stories to reliable sources, there's no problem. The problem is people trusting the Twitterers own information if not accompanied by a reliable source. This is not any different from trusting hearsay, is it?

I've been finding tweets from news sources helpful. I wouldn't trust some regular person tweeting though.

From Kiddo:

Kiddo: "Stressing about finals and PMS'ing. Ice cream and kiwi gummies at my place later.

<10 minutes passes>

Kiddo: "Sorry for TMI, dad. send more gummies?"

haha...

I found it cool that Kirksey architecture is following HAIF on twitter.

Archived