River Oaks Gardens: Multifamily At 1601 South Shepherd Dr.

sevfiv

Does anyone know the name of the complex that was previously where River Oaks Gardens condominiums are located?

This is 1601 S. Shepherd (between Peden and Haddon) - google map and local live map.

The property that was there before seemed well manicured and less dense - also reminded me a little of the setup of Wilshire Village.

The only thing I could find was records of River Oaks Gardens as grantor to Louis Puro, et al, Rice University, and Hugh Potter in 1961. That seems backward to me since the current residences were built ~1978 (unless the former was also named River Oaks Gardens?)/.

1964:

http://i41.tinypic.com/j8fzx1.jpg

http://historicaerials.com/?poi=4463

• Like 1

Does anyone know the name of the complex that was previously where River Oaks Gardens condominiums are located?

i believe someone posted a pic on haif in the last few months in the river oaks demolition thread.

EDIT: tmariar posted it here in the life magazine thread.

Edited by musicman
link

This is 1601 S. Shepherd (between Peden and Haddon) - google map and local live map.

The property that was there before seemed well manicured and less dense - also reminded me a little of the setup of Wilshire Village.

The only thing I could find was records of River Oaks Gardens as grantor to Louis Puro, et al, Rice University, and Hugh Potter in 1961. That seems backward to me since the current residences were built ~1978 (unless the former was also named River Oaks Gardens?)/.

Yeah, I wondered about that complex, too but couldn't find out much about it, either. By the way, wasn't Hugh Potter one of the original developers of River Oaks' residential neighborhood?

Also, I found this photo on Google that showed what some of these apartment buildings looked like (look in the upper right-hand corner). As nice as the layout of the complex looked, the buildings themselves looked kind of plain and made me think "housing project". Maybe that explains why they were torn down to make way for the current residences. Just a wild guess.

riveroaks_old.jpg

ETA: I posted this at the same time musicman posted his with the links to the other photos, so...jinx. :-)

Edited by sabasushi

• 3 weeks later...

Yes W. Grey stops at shepherd and Inwood begins, The house from Terms of endearment was shot on inwood between shepherd and chilton like 3rd house east of chilton on N side of street if memory is correct, the owners that bought it though did a major facade change to curb people from stopping to take pictures. 2200 block of inwood i think

Edited by ADC78

• 2 weeks later...
Yes W. Grey stops at shepherd and Inwood begins, The house from Terms of endearment was shot on inwood between shepherd and chilton like 3rd house east of chilton on N side of street if memory is correct, the owners that bought it though did a major facade change to curb people from stopping to take pictures. 2200 block of inwood i think

Auroras house is on 3060 Locke Lane, right off of Kirby and Westheimer. It still looks exactly the same as it did in the movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086425/locations

Edited by NekoCase

Auroras house is on 3060 Locke Lane, right off of Kirby and Westheimer. It still looks exactly the same as it did in the movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086425/locations

That's what I remember. I guess it's somewhat near Chuys (farther west) and a block or two north of Westheimer. I remember finding the house after seeing the movie. I remember the movie crews were also at the Waldo Mansion at Westmoreland @ Garrott. From what I remember, the kitchen scenes were filmed in it.

That's what I remember. I guess it's somewhat near Chuys (farther west) and a block or two north of Westheimer. I remember finding the house after seeing the movie. I remember the movie crews were also at the Waldo Mansion at Westmoreland @ Garrott. From what I remember, the kitchen scenes were filmed in it.

Yes, Aurora's house was in two locations. One house for the front and one for the back.

• The title was changed to River Oaks Gardens: Multifamily At 1601 South Shepherd Dr.