WM. D. Cleveland & Co. Building At 1019 Commerce St.

cmcgrail

Here's the historical time line for this industrial warehouse building. 

In 1910 it was built for the WM. D. Cleveland & Co.  Then the building was bought and became the International Coffee Building, then it was sold and bought and renamed the Sunset Coffee Building.  Then came the club called Love Street Light Circus Feel Good Machine. 

From Rick Campbell's 40 Years After Blog:

On Jan. 30, 1969, the Beatles performed publicly for the last time. The 42-minute performance on the rooftop of the Apple Building in London was captured on film for the movie Let It Be. About half of that performance ended up in the film.

If you happen to be up around the north end of downtown Houston this Friday and hear Beatles songs wafting around in the air, you won't have found a portal back to 1969 nor will your imagination be playing tricks on you.

Forty years after that legendary concert in London, the musicians of Love Street Light Circus will take to the roof of the old International Coffee Company building at Allen's Landing

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So, does anyone have any stories about "Love Street Light Circus Feel Good Machine"? Other than the name, all I know is vague stuff I have heard about it being "the" psychadelic nightclub in Houston in the late 1960s, and it was located by Allen's Landing.

So, does anyone have any stories about "Love Street Light Circus Feel Good Machine"? Other than the name, all I know is vague stuff I have heard about it being "the" psychadelic nightclub in Houston in the late 1960s, and it was located by Allen's Landing.

Here's some info and a photo

http://www.scarletdukes.com/st/tmhou_venues2.html

The photo on the page shows the lie down audience seating where people could be stoned and watch the light shows. It was the centerpiece of Allen's Landing hippie area where there were plenty of poster/head shops. I liked to check out the blacklight poster displays and pick up some R. Crumb Zap Comix.

Love Street

It was a very groovy place despite this strange smoke that always seem to linger in the air.

The sites mentioned by cadetdonfan and fringe are outstanding if you want anything related to the music scene in Houston and Texas in the 1960s.:doh: I believe that fringe's site is one he put together.

Edited by readam

I hung out there a lot. I played in a few rock bands that played around market square, The Cellar, poor Willies Pub, etc. I almost got arrested for falling asleep in Love Street, "sleeping in a public place" violation. It was a cool place to hang in the sixties/seventies.

• 8 years later...
  • The title was changed to Love Street Light Circus Feel Good Machine On Main St. & Commerce St.
  • The title was changed to WM. D. Cleveland & Co. Building At 1019 Commerce St.