Dowling Theater At 2110 Dowling St.

sevfiv

Does anyone know anything about the Dowling Theater on Dowling between Gray and Webster?

At some point I had the address as 2110 Dowling (which Cinema Houston backs up), but I can't find any tax information about it. The location where I found the theater matches 2110 Dowling as well.

Also, the MFAH's "Eye on Third Ward" lists a Dowling Theater being on the site of the Square Deal Cab Co. The address I found for Square Deal is 2819 Dowling (placing it at Tuam St.).

Was there more than one Dowling?

On the Harris County Block Book photo, lot 3 matches up (and here's the HCAD map), but HCAD doesn't list ownership of a lot 3:

2100 Dowling - lot 5

2106 Dowling - lot 4

2116 Dowling - TRS 1 and 2

2120 Dowling - TR 1B

picture:

dowling_001.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a couple of photos from Cinema Houston:

Dowling.jpg

Sanborn Maps show a theater (Dowling, I'm assuming) located at 2110-08 Dowling. Information found on YEAR 1924-1951*, Vol.9, 1925-50. Page#900, Blk.428.

The map also shows two stores, at front of theater, address 21101/2 (or 2100 1,2) seen in the picture above, to each side of the movie entrance doors. There was also a restaurant & elec. rep.(Electrical repair?) shop (next door to the right) with same address of 2106A Dowling. The restaurant is also seen above, looks like the "Idle Hour (another name?) Restaurant".

Good pic, Sevfiv...how eerie, no shops there now.

FYI: info. on a nearby street, before Bastrop it was called Broadway.

• 2 weeks later...
Dowling St. was a very "happening" street at one time...http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/suprnbhd...rInfo/SN_67.htm

Very happening. It's a whole other subject, but the Third Ward and Dowling Street was the epicenter of Houston blues. Home to guys like Johnny Guitar Watson, Albert Collins, Lightning Hopkins, etc.

So wait, is it gone now? Not even a shell left?

Exactly, about a month or so ago the last pieces went to city landfill. -_-

Correction to my past additonal note: the little homes across the street past the empty fill are more like small Queen Anne homes opposed to Shotgun style. Wish I could lift up and take home before they vanish forever. :(

• The title was changed to Dowling Theater At 2110 Dowling St.