Why doesn't Houston have "Keep to the Right" signs

I drove to Orlando for Xmas vacation and noticed that there were "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs all the way to Florida and even in Orlando. How come Houston doesn't have those signs? They should have lots of these signs on all our freeways, and have them in Spanish too.

Texas just implemented such signage a few legislative session back. However you only see them in the more rural areas.

They might not be all that useful in Houston because drivers doing 80 are going to pass wherever they want anyway, and yielding right of way in any manner is a foreign concept to most drivers here.

There's a story that Penn Governor have them put in place when slower traffic on left lanes keep slowing him down. Texas needs those. But hey, I find traffic laws in Texas so lax compared to other states or other Texas laws.

Have them in Spanish too? You're shaking a bee's comb on that one. Other road signs are not in Spanish and your target audience obey them, those that want to.

Houston has these signs, but they are few and far between. What we REALLY need are the signs used in Bexar County (San Antonio). They are typical "Slower Traffic Keep Right," but have a yellow band at the top that says either "Don't slow Texas down" or "Check your mirror." I don't know if they are TXDoT experiments or what, but they get my attention every time I drive along 1604.

We did have those signs a few years back and then they got changed to "left lane is for passing only." I have never seen them anywhere but on rural interstates, though.

The only problem with either solution being that people all have their own definition of both "slow" (ie it's all relative) and "passing" ("I will be passing that car a mile ahead of me soon enough, so why not just stay in this lane until I do?")

People who don't know how to properly drive on a freeway are a major cause of accidents. I'm not talking about speeders or weavers or aggressive drivers, I'm talking about the people who can't be bothered to get out of the way of everyone else and thus become a hazard in their own right.

Houston has these signs, but they are few and far between. What we REALLY need are the signs used in Bexar County (San Antonio). They are typical "Slower Traffic Keep Right," but have a yellow band at the top that says either "Don't slow Texas down" or "Check your mirror." I don't know if they are TXDoT experiments or what, but they get my attention every time I drive along 1604.

Travelguy, isn't 1604 a two laner for each side with a median in the middle ?

are you positive.....It should be, but I did not think it was on the books in Texas.....but they can still get you for unsafe driving or going under the min speed if you are doing that

yep it's in the handbook. just like it's illegal for car to speed up if you're trying to pass it.

Travelguy, isn't 1604 a two laner for each side with a median in the middle ?

Yes...it adds entrance and exits lanes here and there, but is mostly two lanes with a very large median. It has overpasses, so it feels more freeway than road. Growing up, I remember it was a single lane in each direction, and was called the "death loop." Rather ironic now that TXDoT would like us to keep Texas moving. In fact, just after I got my license, I had my first accident on 1604 when a pizza delivery driver's foot slipped off the clutch and he bounded out into the intersection from a cross street (in a VW Thing no less!). I hit him going about 40mph...totalled my rad Doge Daytona Tubo Z!

Edited by travelguy_73

Yes...it adds entrance and exits lanes here and there, but is mostly two lanes with a very large median. It has overpasses, so it feels more freeway than road. Growing up, I remember it was a single lane in each direction, and was called the "death loop." Rather ironic now that TXDoT would like us to keep Texas moving. In fact, just after I got my license, I had my first accident on 1604 when a pizza delivery driver's foot slipped off the clutch and he bounded out into the intersection from a cross street (in a VW Thing no less!). I hit him going about 40mph...totalled my rad Doge Daytona Tubo Z!

remember those #of people who died signs :huh:

It seems to me most people in Houston do keep to the right. When I lived in Albuquerque, people had no concept of keeping right and passing on the left. Plenty of people drove 55mph in the left lane and never bothered to move out of the way. They need the signs there.

it is not law in Texas to keep right in most areas......you will see them in a few places with heavy traffic for that specific stretch of road....but it is legal to pass on the right in Texas and to me a jerk and hog the left lane

I just recently posted this on another forum discussion about traffic.

Edited by cla

Its not the truckers that cause the traffic, most truckers are professional drivers and know the stay out of the left lane.

Yeah right, i've seen MANY drive 50 mph in the left lane...Some even on 225 where it says "No Trucks Left Lane Next 13 miles"(The fuel/oil tankers are the worst ones.) We need a "Move out of the on ramp lane if there is no one in the middle lane!" sign. I hate getting on a merging freeway on ramp at 40 mph behind a car when there is no one in the next lane.

Yeah right, i've seen MANY drive 50 mph in the left lane...Some even on 225 where it says "No Trucks Left Lane Next 13 miles"(The fuel/oil tankers are the worst ones.) We need a "Move out of the on ramp lane if there is no one in the middle lane!" sign. I hate getting on a merging freeway on ramp at 40 mph behind a car when there is no one in the next lane.

Cant you just call Skinner and take care of everything?

I drove to Orlando for Xmas vacation and noticed that there were "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs all the way to Florida and even in Orlando. How come Houston doesn't have those signs? They should have lots of these signs on all our freeways, and have them in Spanish too.

Because people in this city are stupid and don't follow signs... they drive like morons... it would be a waste of money to make them and put them up since nobody will pay attention to them anyway.

On the North Belt and the West Belt, they might as well put...

Left Lane = Death Lane

It would, at least, help protect the innocents.

I was doing about 75/80 on my way back from the Champions area tonight. I kept to the right to avoid the surge of drivers in large SUVs going far faster than I. I thought that HCTRA was going to push more enforcement on the tollways.

• The title was changed to Why doesn't Houston have "Keep to the Right" signs