Jeppesen Gymnasium/Jeppesen Fieldhouse/Robertson Stadium At 3874 Holman St.

Brian Reading

I'm trying to find out more about the spot known by the names "Public School Fieldhouse", "Jeppesen Fieldhouse", or "Jeppesen Gym". Since the Houston Cougars athletics department say the basketball team played early home games there, and note that it was called "Public School Fieldhouse" at the time, I'm pretty sure it was owned and operated by H.I.S.D. at the time of it's completion. Am I right?

As far as the location goes, it seems like it was practically connected to Jeppesen Stadium (aka Robertson Stadium these days), as UH also mentions that it was located where the scoreboard currently is. On March 20, 1996, The Daily Cougar (UH's student newspaper) ran a story about the facility, among other things on-campus being recently torn down that can be read here. So I'm guessing it was torn down in March '96?

My questions are: Was this part of the Works Progress Administration work done at this site? Was it constructed and opened at the same time as Robertson Stadium? Does anyone have any photos or other information about this facility?

• Like 1

I graduated from Milby High School in 1977 and up till my senior year we played our district games at Jeppesene (football games) Our Basketball team starting in January of 1976 played games at Barnett Fieldhouse which was part of the Barnett complex on Fairway a block off of 610 South at Broad. Our senior year we played football at Barnett as well. Jeppesene Fieldhouse from it's appearance at the time looked to have been constructed at the same time as the stadium. It was built from the same materials and had the same look as the stadium. So if the stadium was built by the WPA then I imagine the fieldhouse was as well. There was also a stadium behind the fieldhouse away from the main stadium. It was used by HISD Junior HS's for foorball and in the Spring the configuration of the field and grandstands allowed it to be changed into the baseball stadium used by HISD. I played baseball there as well. When I got into college we played some Lacrosse games in the smaller stadium and after I graduated from U of H in 1981 they tore it down to build student apartments there.

I'm trying to find out more about the spot known by the names "Public School Fieldhouse", "Jeppesen Fieldhouse", or "Jeppesen Gym". Since the Houston Cougars athletics department say the basketball team played early home games there, and note that it was called "Public School Fieldhouse" at the time, I'm pretty sure it was owned and operated by H.I.S.D. at the time of it's completion. Am I right? As far as the location goes, it seems like it was practically connected to Jeppesen Stadium (aka Robertson Stadium these days), as UH also mentions that it was located where the scoreboard currently is. On March 20, 1996, The Daily Cougar (UH's student newspaper) ran a story about the facility, among other things on-campus being recently torn down that can be read here. So I'm guessing it was torn down in March '96?My questions are: Was this part of the Works Progress Administration work done at this site? Was it constructed and opened at the same time as Robertson Stadium? Does anyone have any photos or other information about this facility?

I'm assuming that the field house was built when the stadium was built in 1941. It makes no sense to build a football stadium with no place for the teams to suit up and shower. Here's the history of that place.

Jeppesen Stadium, as it is known today, was originally constructed in 1941 as a joint project of the Houston Independent School District (HISD) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a federal agency created by Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal.

In 1940, HISD purchased the land now bound by Holman, Cullen, Scott and Wheeler streets and passed a resolution in March 1941, to provide $650,000 to build the stadium.

The new stadium was named Houston Public School Stadium and served as the site for all home football games for area high schools. The first game was held September 18, 1942, when Lamar High School defeated Adamson High School of Dallas 26-7 before a crowd of 14,500.

The University of Houston's inaugural football game in the stadium was against Southwestern Louisiana on September 21, 1946. The stadium was the site for every subsequent Cougar home game through 1949. In 1950, the Cougars played five home games in Public School Stadium and two others in newly constructed Rice Stadium. UH moved all of its home games to Rice Stadium beginning in 1951.

The Cougars were the first college team to play its games in a domed stadium when they moved to the brand-new Astrodome in 1965. UH played all of its home games there through 1993 before splitting time in the two stadiums over the last three seasons. All-time, Houston was 112-55-3 in the Astrodome. The Cougars' record in Robertson is 46-38-1.

The HISD School Board renamed the stadium Jeppesen Stadium in 1958. UH bought Jeppesen Stadium in 1970 and the stadium was rededicated as Jeppesen Stadium in 1980 to honor former UH Board of Regents member and Athletics Committee Chairman Corbin J. Robertson. Jeppesen Stadium underwent a $2 million facelift in 1983 when Houston hosted the NCAA Track and Field Championships. Smaller projects readied the stadium for home games in 1995 and 1996, including erecting the scoreboard, which sat in front of where Jeppesen Fieldhouse used to stand.

During the summer of 2006, Robertson became the home of the Houston Dynamo, a Major League Soccer franchise. Following the Dynamo's entry into the Houston market, UH upgraded both the playing surface and lighting system, ensuring that no portable lighting will be needed for television purposes. A new scoreboard and video replay board was also added.

Edited by FilioScotia

I saw a comedian there in 1991 or 1992(?)...the one and only time I went in there.

There wasn't much reason to go that direction when I was at UH. We didn't start playing football there until the year I graduated. We mainly used Robertson Stadium as a place to play...get high on top of the press box, climb the ROTC climbing wall, and jump off the concrete rafters into the big pads they had below.

Thanks guys. If anyone has any images, it'd be cool to see. I'm a current UH student, but as mentioned before, it was torn down. What was the inside like?

I've heard the other field that Cougar Place (that student housing) was built over was called "Little Jeppesen", but did it have an official name?

By the way, they're also about to tear down Cougar Place as well. Check out the story here.

Edited by Brian Reading

In summer of '74 I went to an all-day concert at Jeppesen Stadium. I think it started about 1pm with Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen. At 5:00pm or so a fairly new band called the Eagles came out. Then about 8:00pm the Allman Bros band fired up. I left at midnight and they were still rockin' the stadium. Jeppesen was packed - not an inch of ground left and no empty seat anywhere as I remember. Somewhere I've still got the advertisement I clipped out of the Chronicle for it, and a blurry picture of a sea of folks there.

There will probably be some other HAIF'ers that remember this one better than me.

Thanks guys. If anyone has any images, it'd be cool to see. I'm a current UH student, but as mentioned before, it was torn down. What was the inside like?

I've heard the other field that Cougar Place (that student housing) was built over was called "Little Jeppesen", but did it have an official name?

By the way, they're also about to tear down Cougar Place as well. Check out the story here.

We used to play our Jackson Junior High School (middle school) games at Little Jeppesen. That is all we ever knew it by. There are some photos of one of the Jackson football games at Little Jeppesen in a thread about the East End on this website (posted by me).

Jackson Thread

Edited by isuredid

• 9 months later...

From what I hear, it was a dumb when it first opened and the '99 renovation didn't help much. I couldn't tell you first hand though.

It doesn't look that bad from tv, but it doesn't look that great either.

But hey, if donors want to give them money to build it, I'm all for it. For some reason, all they talk about these days is "Facilities." If you don't have the facilities, then you can't compete.

Why can't they play at Reliant? Climate-controlled, NFL-class facility with plenty of available dates. Will be connected by light rail to the campus in just a few years. No parking problems. Take the money saved and plow it into other improvements to go for Tier 1 status.

For big games and good seasons, I have to agree. But for most games, I personally believe Robertson Stadium is fine just the way it is.

...having said that, I truthfully don't think that you are ever going to see a university in Texas qualify in the minds of employers as a true Tier 1 without a respectable football program. To protect the value of my investment in UH's reputation, it probably is best that they blow a lot of money retaining good talent and developing world-class facilities.

• Like 1

...having said that, I truthfully don't think that you are ever going to see a university in Texas qualify in the minds of employers as a true Tier 1 without a respectable football program. To protect the value of my investment in UH's reputation, it probably is best that they blow a lot of money retaining good talent and developing world-class facilities.

hmm

A new addition to Robertson stadium and the next UH parking garage are going to break ground by next fall. Tech was just one game, and we're still in C-USA for crying out loud. As of now, I say Robertson gets the job done. We don't need a new stadium unless we move into a "Big boy" conference.

i'm not qualified to discuss football, but i went to many concerts at robertson stadium during the 70's, before cynthia mitchell was around. pink floyd was one of the best, in the pouring rain. one of the huge balloon animals got loose, i always wondered where it landed:)

Why can't they play at Reliant? Climate-controlled, NFL-class facility with plenty of available dates. Will be connected by light rail to the campus in just a few years. No parking problems. Take the money saved and plow it into other improvements to go for Tier 1 status.

Research the reasons that they moved back to Robertson in the first place. The athletic department wanted to play football back on campus. They wanted to get alumni and fans reconnected with the school. Playing football in an NFL style stadium several miles from campus does not foster the collegiate atmosphere. Additionally, Robertson Stadium is FREE, unlike Reliant Stadium, where Bob McNair will have his hands in all of the revenue streams that he can. It is also time for people to realize that the $360 million that McNair conned out of us did not build a multi-purpose venue. It is useful for NFL football, maybe a bowl game, and little else. It is simply too big and expensive to operate for any event other than the corporate sponsored NFL to play in.

I wholeheartedly support UH football at Robertson. The buzz at the stdium and around campus is much louder than it would be playing at the cavernous Reliant off campus. SMU did the same thing (though they still are not a very good team). I understand the lead times involved force these discussions early on, even though they just had their first sellout. I hope that an expansion/renovation of the original stadium will be feasible, because I like the look of the old stadium. Hopefully, they can come up with a way to blend old and new to get capacity up to 45,000 to 50,000. That would be all they need.

BTW, football stadium funds do not come from the university. They are raised from boosters and alumni. They would not be redirected from the athletic department to Tier 1 improvements, regardless whether a new stadium is built.

• Like 3

Research the reasons that they moved back to Robertson in the first place. The athletic department wanted to play football back on campus. They wanted to get alumni and fans reconnected with the school. Playing football in an NFL style stadium several miles from campus does not foster the collegiate atmosphere. Additionally, Robertson Stadium is FREE, unlike Reliant Stadium, where Bob McNair will have his hands in all of the revenue streams that he can. It is also time for people to realize that the $360 million that McNair conned out of us did not build a multi-purpose venue. It is useful for NFL football, maybe a bowl game, and little else. It is simply too big and expensive to operate for any event other than the corporate sponsored NFL to play in.

That is what I most despise about public funding for stadiums. We give away free stadiums and still pay small fortunes for tickets which are funneled to millionaire players and the stadium is the team's, not the city's.

A new addition to Robertson stadium and the next UH parking garage are going to break ground by next fall. Tech was just one game, and we're still in C-USA for crying out loud. As of now, I say Robertson gets the job done. We don't need a new stadium unless we move into a "Big boy" conference.

Tech was just one game but OKstate makes TWO games and they were ranked number FIVE and they beat them at THEIR place. UH is on the map, as of now. They just need to keep on winning. What they did was no little accomplishment.

Other than that, you're probably right.

I just say keep winning until they warrant a new one.

That is what I most despise about public funding for stadiums. We give away free stadiums and still pay small fortunes for tickets which are funneled to millionaire players and the stadium is the team's, not the city's.

Actually, the money is funneled to Billionaire team owners (who coincidentally are big contributors to Club For Growth, which opposes big government spending and welfare), but your point is still taken.

Besides Red's comments, I personally would not want a college game played the day before the Texans. It would be bad for the grass and the Texans and frankly, although I am totally on the UH bandwagon, I care much more about the Texans.

Besides Red's comments, I personally would not want a college game played the day before the Texans. It would be bad for the grass and the Texans and frankly, although I am totally on the UH bandwagon, I care much more about the Texans.

You need to adjust your priorities because the Texans are eternally doomed and the Cougars have a long shot at the crown. ;)

Red, thanks for the factual reply. You are right on the money with your response. I was reading the other comments and about to type up a diatribe...

Fact is, the idea of renovating/adding to/building new stadium did not just come up this weekend after a couple of big wins. It's been discussed and planned for years. In fact, we had half the money for a $30 million end zone facility raised and plans underway earlier this year...but a change in academic and athletic administrations caused a second look at that plan.

Reading the comments here, I don't understand the opposition to UH renovating its own stadium with funds from its own alumni. It's not like we're going to get tax money from City or County...unlike the new Dynamo stadium, Reliant, Toyota Center, BallparkatUnionStation/EnronField/AstrosField/MinuteMaidPark, or the Astrodome. That said, the original structure was publicly financed...it's a 1941 WPA project.

The reasons for renovating/expanding are not to add a lot of seating, but to enhance what we've already got. We've got 32,000 seats with amazing sight lines, but we also have antiquated bathrooms and concessions, amazingly bad "suites" and an embarrasing press box. The focus would be to bring the stadium up to modern standards.

The renovate vs. new debate is a common one, as many homeowners know. Do we live with and work around the constraints of the existing stadium or just start fresh with no constraints?

My personal preference, like Red's, would be to renovate what we've got. I love the Art Deco design, and hope that gets saved. I also think the fact that it's a WPA project is significant and makes the structure worth saving too.

For those that mention Reliant as a possibility...you haven't attended a college game there. It's pretty poor for a college game. We've played three regular season games there, and we're not treated well by the Reliant folks. Remember the Bayou Bucket game there when Reliant had only two ticket booths open? Fans were still in line for tickets at halftime. F--- Reliant. Robertson is our home.

• Like 4

I say they should build a new stadium, but keep the old one too. They should play in both, with their win/loss record determining specific game sites. If they win a game, they get to play in the new modern facility the next time. If they lose... Robertson. If they lose twice in a row... they can play at Nimitz Stadium in Aldine. Three losses in a row will put them on a Pop Warner field somewhere.

I say they should build a new stadium, but keep the old one too. They should play in both, with their win/loss record determining specific game sites. If they win a game, they get to play in the new modern facility the next time. If they lose... Robertson. If they lose twice in a row... they can play at Nimitz Stadium in Aldine. Three losses in a row will put them on a Pop Warner field somewhere.

I don't know about that...but if the BCS system is going to stay in place, I would certainly like to see a relegation/promotion system in college football.

Big XII would promote Houston, relegate Baylor to CUSA.

ACC would promote East Carolina, relegate Duke to CUSA.

SEC would promote Southern Miss and relegate Mississippi State to CUSA.

As a UH fan I understand that teams go through some tough times...make a couple bad hires in a row and you've just lost 10 years. But there are too many BCS teams that have NEVER done anything...but still get that BCS $$$ every year. The BCS conference payouts average about 10x the non-BCS conference payouts every year. That's a tough obstacle to overcome for a non-BCS school.