Woke up this morning much chillier than usual to discover my heater went out overnight. No idea what's wrong with it.

Another thread yielded a couple of recommendations for ARS. Does anyone else have a heater/ac repair outfit they would recommend? Thx!

ARS does a good job, but unless you're covered under some kind of homeowner's warranty (like I was at one point) they're way, way too expensive.

What kind of heating system do you have?

Sorry to hear about your heater, crunchtastic.

Is it your central heating heat exchanger?

If so you probably need an HVAC person.

Shortly after we moved into our last house about 15 years ago, our heat exchanger went out. We called Air Temperature on South Blvd. They took the time and trouble to learn that the heat exchanger was still under its 10 year warranty and installed the replacement provided by the company under the warranty, charging us just for labor, saving us a bundle.

Air Temperature is a family run business. Trey is the son of the really nice owners and is a very nice guy. Plus he's very knowledgable. If you call them, ask for Trey.

Air Temperature charges a fair price and does a good job and doesn't do work that's not necessary from my experience.

Good luck.

Thanx for the replies. It's just an old gas heater with electric ignition. Don't think it is the pilot. We noticed last night late that that it was making some strange metallic grinding noise, and then the noise stopped. The hot air stopped within 2-5 hours of that.

Thanx for the replies. It's just an old gas heater with electric ignition. Don't think it is the pilot. We noticed last night late that that it was making some strange metallic grinding noise, and then the noise stopped. The hot air stopped within 2-5 hours of that.

How old is it? If it has electric ignition then it doesn't have a pilot light.

Is it blowing cold air or no air at all? If you're not getting any air at all then I would suspect that the blower motor has died. If you're getting cold air and it is ~15 years old or newer, then it probably has an inducer fan, and I'm betting you heard the dying throes of the inducer fan motor last night.

Air Temperature is a family run business. Trey is the son of the really nice owners and is a very nice guy. Plus he's very knowledgable. If you call them, ask for Trey.

Air Temperature charges a fair price and does a good job and doesn't do work that's not necessary from my experience.

I got my new air conditioner from them b/c I'd heard good things, and I liked them. It wasn't a bargain but, at the end of the day, I'd rather have something like that done once and done right. Hope you get your problem resolved and heat back soon!

Thanx for the replies. It's just an old gas heater with electric ignition.

I can't speak to that. No experience.

I do however have two working mid-century gas-powered blower furnaces that (together) are capable of heating a 5,000-square-foot warehouse with up to 16-foot clear heights that I need to get rid of. That's a long shot, but if you can pay better than scrap value, they're yours.

Can you tell if the fan is turning? My work spouse had a similar event last week, and it was the bearing in the fan that blows air over the heating element going bad.

i have an electric portable if you need it. will do a bedroom.

Yeah, but space heaters wouldn't be historically authentic enough, and if Crunch ever wants the respect of jm1fd (as evidenced by the current Eastwood thread), she's going to have to stick with gas or wood-burning stoves. ...oh and she can't buy anything from Home Depot. It's apparently Lowe's, a boutique dealer, or bust, so sayeth jm1fd.

Yeah, but space heaters wouldn't be historically authentic enough, and if Crunch ever wants the respect of jm1fd (as evidenced by the current Eastwood thread), she's going to have to stick with gas or wood-burning stoves. ...oh and she can't buy anything from Home Depot. It's apparently Lowe's, a boutique dealer, or bust, so sayeth jm1fd.

I laughed.

flipper

Ooh! Ooh! I have two vintage authentic gas Dearborns. jm1fd approved, even! I saved them just in case my central heat ever went out, I could still stay authentically warm. If you need one, crunch, I got one.

(I also have 2 electrics. Don't tell anyone.)

Ha! I do have a portable oil heater I use for the bathroom when it's really cold, but thanks Musicman and Red. And it hasn't been really cold so I think I'll live.

Hey, speaking of period appropriate, at the house party we went to on Saturday, they had the wall mounted gas heater blazing. Love those things. The house was amazing, as was all the stuff in it. A total treasure trove. But, you know, it's not Pottery Barn approved. Speaking of old houses, while doing some re-plumbing under the kitchen sink yesterday, Mike discovered that the brainiacs who installed the sink didn't bother to clamp it in. In a sick way it's almost fun disovering all the stupid when you move into a really old place that's been through multiple owners.

Ooh! Ooh! I have two vintage authentic gas Dearborns. jm1fd approved, even! I saved them just in case my central heat ever went out, I could still stay authentically warm. If you need one, crunch, I got one.

(I also have 2 electrics. Don't tell anyone.)

I most certainly have not approved your heaters.

Oops. Sorry, crunch, I guess you can't have my Dearborns. I do have a handmade quilt, though.

Not so fast. We'll have to determine if the style of the fabric and construction techniques and quality is a good match for the house.

Woke up this morning much chillier than usual to discover my heater went out overnight. No idea what's wrong with it.

Another thread yielded a couple of recommendations for ARS. Does anyone else have a heater/ac repair outfit they would recommend? Thx!

I would get a home warranty and have them repair it for $60. Most of the warranties can also be paid monthly so you would end up spending about $100 for the repair.

I shall not rejoice until it is confirmed that the replacement is historically correct for blower motors of the peroid.

dunno if it's correct, but the system is definitely an old piece of crap. Which blends nicely with the many crappy repair jobs done elsewhere through the house, over the years. Is historical crap a style? I must have missed that section in the Rejuvenation catalog. :lol:

Archived