Downtown's Ugliest Buildings

kplo

Those are some bad choices, although the Kim Son parking garage is atrocious.

Also, the picture of the AT&T building was ridiculously bad.

Indeed, that is some abysmal photgraphy.

What would be ten buildings that are worse, though, I wonder?

I gotta agree with just about all of them with the exception of the Bob Casey Federal Courthouse. I kinda like the windows on it ... not sure why...

the-ten-ugliest-buildings-in-downtown-houston.2771048.36.jpg

A couple of years ago, I would have called this THE ugliest building, at least downtown. But now I agree that the windows are fantastic. Not the red trim around them, but their look.

Funny thing is, I look at the old Central Square and see so much potential. Someone really needs to polish that lady up though. From the unique sixties era wall to the clock on top, that could be the coolest rehab around.

As for the Days Inn, it really doesn't bother me too much. EVERY city in America has a bldg that looks almost identical. I HATE that it is empty, but isn't it being turned into a moderately priced hotel?

With the exception of the Parking Garage (I used to park there myself), I don't think these buildings are bad at all - just out of favor with current tastes. But I believe that will change. These buildings are all primarily styles of the 60's and 70's - not popular now but will likely come back into favor in 10 years or so.

I believe there is a cycle to the popularity of architectural styles over time: the styles are well received initially and during the first 10-15 years; after 20-30 years the styles become dated, unpopular, and generally considered ugly (and often considered for demolition); after another 20 years or so appreciation for the styles reemerge and efforts are made to preserve the structures.

As an example, in the 60

• 4 weeks later...

Horrible choices. I mean I could chalk Houston House up to a difference of opinion, but the Alley?

And I like the Amegy Bank building. :mellow:

Yeah, the courthouses are terrible, though. There's one building that I really like, I think its some kind of juvenile offender building or something? I'll try to find it.

There's one building that I really like, I think its some kind of juvenile offender building or something? I'll try to find it.

Okay, its the building bordered by Texas, San Jacinto, Prairie and Caroline. I think much of it might be a parking garage, but still, pretty building, nice landscaping. That place and the waterfall park at St. Joe's might be two of my favorite places downtown. DG a new contender, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

3195038198_4aeb8e49ed_o.jpg

This atrocity was once a beautiful Italianate building but in the 50s they thought it would be a good idea, in order to compete with the suburbs, to strip it of its old facade and replace it with this beautiful masterful facade.

Oh and dont forget this wonderful masterpiece too. I forget what that building is called, maybe the Harris County Civil Courthouse but anyways the one on the right that looks as if it should have been three times as tall. Its terrible looking and it looks stunted in growth and that ridiculous rotunda cap is just eeeew.

3192622059_e1118c1289_o.jpg

I dont like their list, some of those buildings arent too bad. I like the At&T building, its something different. The Holiday Inn isnt half bad either. Yes, its nothing special but its better than a parking lot.

It's got that thing on top because it's a courthouse (civil, I think). Lot's of people really have strong feelings against the design of that building. Personally, I think it's pretty cool looking. I've never been in that one before, though.

I'm in complete agreement with you on the 50's facade on the building near Main Place. eeeeeww! What were they thinking back then?

Question: Why do these old buildings not remove the old smokestacks, since burning their garbage is nolonger legal?

Oh and dont forget this wonderful masterpiece too. I forget what that building is called, maybe the Harris County Civil Courthouse but anyways the one on the right that looks as if it should have been three times as tall. Its terrible looking and it looks stunted in growth and that ridiculous rotunda cap is just eeeew.

Heh heh, I gotta agree with you. If anyone decides to write a book on kitsch architecture, the Civil Courthouse belongs on the cover!

Archived