Home At 1840 Colquitt St.

OkieEric

How exactly do these things work? I only ask b/c there is a house on Colquitt that had a "MD-PLUMBING PT" permit with a description of "DANGER.BLD.DEMO/RESIDENCE" issued on 10/15 - the only thing is, they only demo'd the very front part of the house. So of course now there's a house that is largely intact with a gigantic hole in the front...and bricks and crap hanging all over the place. How can this be any more safe than before? I always thought it would be a cool house to fix up, but now it looks terrible

Also, what's up with the lack of activity on the Montrose board? No posts in a week? We can all at least "celebrate" the soon-to-open gas station at W Alabama / Montrose - though I hope that cheap "Food Mart" sign is temporary

For demolitions there are usually the two permits - plumbing (sewer disconnect) and actual demolition. Not sure about why a partial demo would be done at the house you mentioned.

The new houston permit site is really hit or miss, too. Can't look up demolitions as easy as before, it seems.

And when is the new station supposed to open? I think it has almost twice as many pumps as the Shell across the way (which will eventually be torn down for retail).

How exactly do these things work? I only ask b/c there is a house on Colquitt that had a "MD-PLUMBING PT" permit with a description of "DANGER.BLD.DEMO/RESIDENCE" issued on 10/15 - the only thing is, they only demo'd the very front part of the house. So of course now there's a house that is largely intact with a gigantic hole in the front...and bricks and crap hanging all over the place. How can this be any more safe than before? I always thought it would be a cool house to fix up, but now it looks terrible

What's the address on Colquitt? Sounds like it might be a future candidate for the Bad Remodelling thread.

1840 Colquitt (at Driscoll)

Project No: 08021867

Date : 2008/10/15

USE : DANGER.BLD.DEMO/RESIDENCE

Owner/Occupant : ANDRE OLGA MARIE

Job Address : 1840 COLQUITT ST 77098

Valuation : $ 0

Permit Type : 4P

FCC Group : Demo; Single Familty Dwelling

Buyer : DINNING STEVE

Address : 5738 LUCE ST

Phone : 713-643-4640

For demolitions there are usually the two permits - plumbing (sewer disconnect) and actual demolition. Not sure about why a partial demo would be done at the house you mentioned.

The new houston permit site is really hit or miss, too. Can't look up demolitions as easy as before, it seems.

And when is the new station supposed to open? I think it has almost twice as many pumps as the Shell across the way (which will eventually be torn down for retail).

Not sure why, either...I saw a backhoe in front of it one day, then a gouge in the front the next. I'd have to imagine that they are in violation of some sort of city code?

Not sure about the station, either, but I wouldn't think it would take much longer. The exterior looks pretty much finished... Not sure I've ever seen a station with so many pumps on such little area

What's the address on Colquitt? Sounds like it might be a future candidate for the Bad Remodelling thread.

There's an interesting remodel in the 2000 (?) block of Branard. It started with this: har link

Instead of doing a tear-down, they have kept parts of the original house and look to be mcmansioning it...it just looks strange to me so far. I'll take pics when they finish

There's an interesting remodel in the 2000 (?) block of Branard. It started with this: har link

Instead of doing a tear-down, they have kept parts of the original house and look to be mcmansioning it...it just looks strange to me so far. I'll take pics when they finish

Looks like (it was) a cute house. Will be interesting to see before and after pictures.

Looks like (it was) a cute house. Will be interesting to see before and after pictures.

I biked past the one on Colquitt on the way home today. They were completing the demolition - the house is no more. That subdiv has no deed restrictions, or at least enforced ones, that I can see, so looks like more townhomes....

I biked past the one on Colquitt on the way home today. They were completing the demolition - the house is no more. That subdiv has no deed restrictions, or at least enforced ones, that I can see, so looks like more townhomes....

That's my subdivision, lol... Yeah, townhouses are starting to pop up, particularly along Colquitt it seems, though we've also got some new ones on Branard. Honestly, in the blocks around me a complete demo is probably a good thing, considering the existing housing stock. I guess I'd prefer a mcmansion over a townhouse?? Tough call, but they will definltely put in townhomes there... This particular house was at least somewhat interesting in that it wasn't a large, multi-family box. Funny that they completed the demo the day I asked about it, considering it's been sitting like that for 3 weeks or so

Since many of these townhouses are new and nearing completion, I have to wonder how long they will sit on this market. Who buys a $500K+ townhouse when you can buy a nice, older home (may need some work) for a similar price in areas nearby? That lot may stay vacant for a while

That's my subdivision, lol... Yeah, townhouses are starting to pop up, particularly along Colquitt it seems, though we've also got some new ones on Branard. Honestly, in the blocks around me a complete demo is probably a good thing, considering the existing housing stock. I guess I'd prefer a mcmansion over a townhouse?? Tough call, but they will definltely put in townhomes there... This particular house was at least somewhat interesting in that it wasn't a large, multi-family box. Funny that they completed the demo the day I asked about it, considering it's been sitting like that for 3 weeks or so

Since many of these townhouses are new and nearing completion, I have to wonder how long they will sit on this market. Who buys a $500K+ townhouse when you can buy a nice, older home (may need some work) for a similar price in areas nearby? That lot may stay vacant for a while

It was a small single family home, but with some interesting features - the little side porch for example, and the arches on front. But like so many older homes in the area, it fell victim, I presume, to absentee owner syndrome. A great shame.

• The title was changed to Home At 1840 Colquitt St.

Archived