Highway 225?

Hunter

I was wondering what is wrong with HWY 225? I was looking at maps a few months ago and it finally hit me. 225 seems to be Houston's mostly forgotten freeway. Everyday I see a map on the news showing the freeways but 225 is never shown. Hwy 90 is there but not 225 and it is used more than 90. I have seen members on here post maps and not show 225 either. I even came across an online map place (Name left out on purpose) where 225 was not even mentioned in the driving directions. The directions told me to take the Hwy 3 exit and go down to where I wanted to go. I so rarely hear any news reports from that area either. Traffic can be backed up for miles on it and no mention at all on any of the radios or TV newscasters.

I use it everyday and have for many years. Why do so many people seem to hate that freeway?

Guest danax
I was wondering what is wrong with HWY 225? I was looking at maps a few months ago and it finally hit me. 225 seems to be Houston's mostly forgotten freeway. Everyday I see a map on the news showing the freeways but 225 is never shown. Hwy 90 is there but not 225 and it is used more than 90. I have seen members on here post maps and not show 225 either. I even came across an online map place (Name left out on purpose) where 225 was not even mentioned in the driving directions. The directions told me to take the Hwy 3 exit and go down to where I wanted to go. I so rarely hear any news reports from that area either.  Traffic can be backed up for miles on it and no mention at all on any of the radios or TV newscasters. 

I use it everyday and have for many years. Why do so many people seem to hate that freeway?

I think it's because, to most Houstonians, that area east of the ship channel might as well be another state. Same could probably be said for the area east of 610 off of -I-10. Towns like La Porte, Pasadena and Baytown somehow are just too far east of cool to fit in with the rest of Houston.

I think it's because, to most Houstonians, that area east of the ship channel might as well be another state. Same could probably be said for the area east of 610 off of -I-10. Towns like La Porte, Pasadena and Baytown somehow are just too far east of cool to fit in with the rest of Houston.

I guess but I kind of find that a little hard to swollow!

I am looking at a map right now that I just pulled off of a Houston news site. It shows Hwy 45 north and south, Hwy 59 north and south, Hwy 288, Hwy 290, Hwy 90, I-10 east and west, hardy toll road, Beltway 8, Hwy 146, Hwy 6, and a few of the new extensions and such that were recently opened but still no Hwy 225. And until recently the Houston Transtar online map did not even have it mapped in. Okay yes it does run through a lot of refineries, and yes it does leave Houston real fast but why do so many mapmakers and media shun it? It is actually faster to use it to get to I-10 east through Bay Town than if you took I-10 east from the 610 loop. I will not buy that it is because of the polluting factories. Yes there are a lot of them over there but we have a lot more scattered all over Houston that pollutes a whole lot more.

good statement Houston19514

I find liberals and democrats general will make these statement with no facts anywhere to be found.

Once you say something like this they'll just spout back big oil, dick cheney, and haliburton with no concept of the real facts and truths

I not a 100% GWB supporter, i'm not even a registered republican, but statements like LTAWACS' alway really get me

Can we drop it already with hijacking practically every single freaking thread here with political references? :angry: It's really getting old and it's not what this board is here for. If you have some kind of political chip on your shoulder - of any stripe - then take it to "Way Off Topic". That's why it's there. Topics that continue to get hijacked off topic are subject to closure or deletion.

Can we drop it already with hijacking practically every single freaking thread here with political references?  :angry:  It's really getting old and it's not what this board is here for.  If you have some kind of political chip on your shoulder - of any stripe - then take it to "Way Off Topic".  That's why it's there.  Topics that continue to get hijacked off topic are subject to closure or deletion.

could you just relax sometimes and stop closing topics because you don't want to talk about certain things. It's just conversation.....get over it. :angry:

Outside of Beltway 8, I think the 225 is one of Houston's best freeways. Manicured, more or less, and decorated with interesting palms (don't know the name of the particular variety). The lanes have been redone and it's probably the smoothest ride in the metro outside of the revamped portion of the West Loop from the Southwest Frwy to S. Post Oak.

The chemical plants and refineries and the fact that most of the neighborhoods immediately adjacent to the freeway are pretty low income are the likely factors behind the average person's disdain.

Oh, and the other fact that there's nothing really "snazzy" along that corridor save for the San Jacinto Battlefied site.

Plus, with the recent growth and predicted growth out in Baytown in the next few years, this freeway is a viable alternative to I-10. It's part of the reason why the construction between I-45 and SH225 along I-610 is occuring.

The pavement rebuilds and restriping for merge issues is being addressed.

I only recently moved out to La Porte but I pretty much grew up in the Pasadena, Deer park area, and I remember when La Porte was a run down place that did not have much going for it. I was actually very surprised to see how much it has grown and the school district has dramatically improved.

There are some very expensive houses being built out there now and the school district is top notch. At least for the Elementary and middle school. I do not know much about the High school yet. Also with the new over passes built over the railroad tracks it makes getting in and out of the area a snap. The growing popularity of this place is fantastic. That is one reason why I am so shocked why the media and people ignore this freeway so much. Yes it does travel through a lot of plants and refineries but it is actually very well kept up and maintained. Now they just need to extend it a little further into downtown. Actually finish it

Guest danax
That is one reason why I am so shocked why the media and people ignore this freeway so much. Yes it does travel through a lot of plants and refineries but it is actually very well kept up and maintained. Now they just need to extend it a little further into downtown. Actually finish it

Not gonna happen, Hunter. The eastsiders stopped it dead in it's tracks in the 70s and it's even less likely to get re-started now.

The eastsiders stopped it dead in it's tracks in the 70s and it's even less likely to get re-started now.

That really sucks. If there was a way it coudl be extended it woudl go such a log way in relieving congestion on 45 and 1-10 inside the loop. I know that was the plan once, but maybe they should take another look at it. Stranger things have happend before.

Never underestimate the power of HCTRA. They may eventually see this route through the eastside as a Toll Road.

Then public opposition wouldn't really be able to stop it. There would be very little course to place objections.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Professional Hornblower

Yeah I don't like HWY. 225 too much either. I call it the "Cancer Freeway"

Just my thoughts.

B)

Cancer from what? The most volitale thing along that free way is the chemical plant for rubber production and some lubricant plants.

My feeling is that a little bit of everything we enjoy causes cancer. I'm not making excuses, but there is practically over 100 studies that list POSSIBLE causes for cancer. The true is we don't know. All we have is few correlative studies saying that if you live near a plant you might get cancer. No proof though.

A little background. I'm from Louisiana in the area known as Cancer Alley. My mom has had breast cancer and is a survivor of it. The medical proffesionals my mom dealt with gave us a whole new perspective on cancer and all the news reports that come out about cause. Many of the doctors and nurses believe its just a scientist getting something published an looking for a little publicity. Often its not really amazing information in the studies.

So, I rather call SH 225 the Industrial Corridor. The industries at night are quite beautiful. Like another downtown from a distance. Often looking more futuristic.

You're mistaken. Honestly, I don't notice the "beautifulness of Highway 225" due to the incessant coughing while I'm driving down that road 15 miles over the limit in an attempt to reach the sweet relief that is the air of La Porte.

Many people mistake bright lights and shiny metal for good architecture.

Don't be that guy.

My dog ran away once back when I lived in Deer Park and he slept near OxyChem for 4 nights and when he came back he was Meow-ing. Explain to me what that is from. I'd really like to hear your thoughts.

:huh:

Can you keep your dog on a leash? or within a gate? or in your house?

I had a two cats die back in Louisiana because they went around a sugar mill and were killed by some of the machinery. It was my fault for not minding them.

Unless someone at OxyChem tempted him to go overthere, it's not their fault.

If want to live in a world without modern convience, we can get rid of these facilities. The truth is, these places exist because we want them too.

Do you thing your shampo and soap is made is sweet smeling non-poluting facility. The chemicals in the stuff is made somewhere. I saw a facility back in Louisiana that was spewing white smoke. They were making contact lense cleaning solution at the time. Next month they were making fertilizer. These places are just large chemistry lab experiments like in high school or college. Just on a large scale used to mass produce products we need. Another facility back home makes a resin and glue that is used to make plywood and OSB boards which is much more efficient use of trees for building materials, but the facility is needed and does let out some pollution to make the material.

Actually it wasn't really my dog, sir. I never "purchased" the animal, as I do not believe in it. The dog just came to me one day and I took care of him. He rarely left my confines but to chase some fine pooch or bite a mailman or two. Oh I did let him in the house occasionally, but I don't believe in "leashing up" another being. Maybe you have no problem with that...I dunno. Me? Well, I have morals.

I called it "cancer freeway"...you told me I was wrong, implying that it is impossible to attain cancer from the carcinogenic expulsions from all of the refineries. Now you are telling me "well, we need these things so we can have modern convenience."

I don't get it... are you admitting that I'm right? If not, you seem to be arguing for the necessity of these places pretty vigorously. In other words, you don't have to sell me on something if it's 100% good.

I never said it was impossible to get cancer from the emissions. The truth of the matter is that we don't know the answer. Studies aren't produce that evenly evaluated possible causes of cancer.

These industries are a necessary "evil" as some would say. It's part of our lives. Where would you want these places to be? We can't get rid of them because we need them. If we didn't need them, they wouldn't have to exist.

Also, I don't believe in leashing an animal unless I have to walk it in public places. My little dog runs free in my house all day while I'm gone. Luckily he doesn't get into anything.

Yeah...we don't know if those chemical plants which emit radiation cause cancer. hahaha.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Alas, where there're toxic emissions, there will soon be cancer.

It's OK if you benefit financially from these places, sir. I forgive you. But to act like they are good for the environment is just...well, irresponsible.

Chemical plants can have 1 of 3 impacts on the environment:

1. A good one.... we know that's not true

2. No impact...well...this isn't true either because the pollution is something so it can't have an impact of nothing.

3. A bad one... Voila!

I don't know how much more clear I can possibly make this for you. I feel bad for people who don't know how to use logic.

B)

i'm just a civil engineer. I have know financial ties to these facilities. I just read the facts on what these facilities produce than make assumptions about them. What makes you think the smoke is toxic? Do you have proof? A sugar mill produces more smoke that most of these places, but it's just steam. Smoke does not equal harmful pollution or toxic materials.

Logic is one thing, but are you are assuming that everything is associated with these industries is pure evil. If you use your brain for a moment instead of listening to environmental talking points, you would have a better understanding of what these plants emit.

I bet you would think the smoke from a nuclear power plant is toxic, but it is just water vapor.

If you understand how radiation works, you would understand that it doesn't emit from these plants either. The local radio station puts out more radiation than these industries ever will.

A plant facility that produces soot polution from its chimney's will use a filter that captures the soot. This material can actually be used in making lightweight concrete for buildings. The make money from their pollution.

The reason you see these fires and smoke coming out of chemical plants is to convert the harmful gases from their processes to non harmfull gases by burning them off. The resulting smoke is most often either carbon dioxide or water vapor.

About positive effects of chemical plants, anyone would be an idiot to believe that they are all beautiful roses, but their impacts are not what people think theyare. The active volcanos in the world and the recent activity on Mt St Helens produces more harmful pollution than the chemical plants of the world could ever produce. Pasadena smells wonderful compared to the lanscape of a land whom just experience a volcano. Volcanoes are the reason for the majority of acid rain because of the volumes of gases they emit.

Yellowstone Park continually spews harmful gases from its heat vents and mud pools in greater amounts than a chemical plant.

Understanding the what gases the environment produces that is harmful compared to what these plants truly produce would put you in perspective.

• The title was changed to Highway 225?

Archived