Terror in the Aisles

Vertigo58

I will add another one, that didn't so much scare me as it was quite a mindf---. Angel Heart. Robert DeNiro, Mickey Rourke, and one naughty Cosby girl. Very disturbing movie.

Your right! that one actually won some great reviews at the Sunrise Film Festival when it premiered.

http://sunrisefilm.org/

Cronenberg film's have always been noted for their heavy drug themes or rather the directors bizarre reputation for using scary stuffsuch as heroin as the cuplrit for his main actors troubles. One that really was noticed was 91's Naked Lunch, very unusual to some but perfectly cool for others. The main actor becomes engulfed his addictions and as film prgresses he has wild illusionsof type writers turninginto creatures, etc. This is as underground as it gets people!

naked_lunch21.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58

Cronenberg film's have always been noted for their heavy drug themes or rather the directors bizarre reputation for using scary stuffsuch as heroin as the cuplrit for his main actors troubles. One that really was noticed was 91's Naked Lunch, very unusual to some but perfectly cool for others. The main actor becomes engulfed his addictions and as film prgresses he has wild illusionsof type writers turninginto creatures, etc. This is as underground as it gets people!

"Naked Lunch" was pretty tame compared to the book. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. The best American prose of the 20th century.

Psychotics or rather somewhat disturbed people, have always been great fanfare for movie goers.

We probably can't name all of them, they range from Norman Bates to Baby Jane Hudson, but in the case of Hitchcock he can make it quite realistic in 72's Frenzy the rape scenes were just unbearable. I am sure censors had a field day. I find it very distrubing to watch even today even though Hitch is my fav director. Now the main nutcase in this flick was truly f-d up. Hell of an actor though to pul it off. As he put it..."Lovely, lovely"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoBprPGpzA

Frenzy.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58

The Brit's have an equally great list of film shocker's.

We saw this as kid's on regular TV and it was freakish.

1960's Village of the Damned!

I'm reminded of the Gary Larson cartoon, captioned:

They weren't the best people. They weren't the worst people. The were the Village of the Darned.

and what about when rodents take over the world!

1971's - Willard and the sort of sequal Ben! I felt sorry for the rat getting smushed and poisoned at the end. :(

Synopsis

Willard is a social misfit with a strange affinity for rats. He lives alone in a large mansion, accompanied only by his cranky and decrepit mother. His best companion is a white rat he finds and later names Socrates for his wisdom; numerous other rats come to him, one of which is a giant specimen he names Ben. Willard's talking to his rats, however, leads to his mother's death and further pressure from the banks to give up the house. When his boss bludgeons Socrates to death, he trains his rats to follow his commands and kills the man. Ben, however, jealous of his favoritism towards Socrates, eventually turns on Willard.

willard.jpg

1972's BEN

Plot

A lonely boy befriends the rat that leads the swarm of trained/telepathic rats found in Willard. This rat, whom the boy names Ben, becomes the boy's best friend and keeps his spirits up in the face of bullying. However, the balance of power between the human and rat begins to shift, with Ben beginning to control the boy and the swarm becoming increasingly irrational and violent. Eventually, the police destroy part of the rat colony, while others are sent to testing labs but Ben survives.

Who can forget the song?

http://' target="_blank">

The film's title theme song, "BEN" performed by Michael Jackson, became a #1 pop hit single. Later included on Jackson's album of the same name, "Ben" won a Golden Globe ward for best orginal song & was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song.

ben_l.jpg

We used to think these were real scary as kids seeing late at night. :( That was the only time they would show them on the LATE SHOW. They just dont makle good scary movies like this any more. The more dated they look the better! It's the mid 60's alright!

1965's "I saw What You did and I know who you are"

When two teenagers make prank phone calls to strangers, they become the target for terror when they whisper "I Saw What You Did, And I Know Who You Are!" to psychopath Steve Marek (John Ireland) who has just murdered his wife. But somebody else knows of the terrible crime that was committed that night, the killer's desperately amorous neighbour Amy Nelson (Joan Crawford).

Two teenage girls occupy their time by randomly calling strangers, whispering "I saw what you did," and hanging up. When one of their victims turns out to be a man who has just murdered his wife, he thinks they witnessed the crime and sets out to find the girls and kill them.

We used to think these were real scary as kids seeing late at night. :( That was the only time they would show them on the LATE SHOW. They just dont makle good scary movies like this any more. The more dated they look the better! It's the mid 60's alright!

1965's "I saw What You did and I know who you are"

When two teenagers make prank phone calls to strangers, they become the target for terror when they whisper "I Saw What You Did, And I Know Who You Are!" to psychopath Steve Marek (John Ireland) who has just murdered his wife. But somebody else knows of the terrible crime that was committed that night, the killer's desperately amorous neighbour Amy Nelson (Joan Crawford).

Two teenage girls occupy their time by randomly calling strangers, whispering "I saw what you did," and hanging up. When one of their victims turns out to be a man who has just murdered his wife, he thinks they witnessed the crime and sets out to find the girls and kill them.

I watched that for the first time last year. For a while channel 55 would air old "scary" movies from the '50s and '60s on Saturdays and Sundays. Like everything else, they now air '80s and '90s films.

When I was little, the one that freaked me out was the movie with that swinging pendulum, in Translvania, or somewhere like that, and there also was a lady in a cage. Anyone know what the title was? Scared me to death...I avoid watching scary movies now. :ph34r:

When I was little, the one that freaked me out was the movie with that swinging pendulum, in Translvania, or somewhere like that, and there also was a lady in a cage. Anyone know what the title was? Scared me to death...I avoid watching scary movies now. :ph34r:

I'm going to guess it's Corman's "The Pit and the Pendulum", written by the great Richard Matheson and starring Vincent Price:

PitPoster.jpg

I'm going to guess it's Corman's "The Pit and the Pendulum", written by the great Richard Matheson and starring Vincent Price:

PitPoster.jpg

Thank you meme, that's got to be it, and I remember some Frankenstein movie, too.

When this thing started moving we kids ran out of the room...a little too realistic. :o

Thanks to Harry Harryhausen's perfected special technical achievements which won him numerous awards and for several more similar sif-fi films. Jason & The Argonauts was a real trailblazor and was magnificent on the W I D E Cinemasope screen (further adding to the realism) at The Broadway Theater. The music score was also perfect for the film. Check it out.

00000040.jpg

002493611490.jpg

When this thing started moving we kids ran out of the room...a little too realistic. :o

The music score was also perfect for the film. Check it out.

Bernard Herrmann! One of my favorite film composers along with Michael Giacchino.

Michael Giacchino montage:

Those skeletons would have absoultely given me nightmares as a child. Skeletons were my big hang-up. I remember even being afraid of some funny cartoon skeleton stickers that my teacher passed out.

Speaking of swinging pendulums, I recently mentioned my favorite "Night Gallery" episode, "A Question of Fear". It has a spooky swinging pendulum scene as well. The story also has a great Hitchcockian twist at the end. I wish I could find it online.

On a related note:

50 scariest moments

The 50 Scariest Moments In Science Fiction

Young man, I am afraid you nailed it! Got them all in one clean swoop!

Isn't it strange how we noted most of them. Lest we for get that AFI (American Film Institute) also had a great segment and clips of the 100 best suspense films ever. Worth buying too.

I knew Psycho was numero uno! Way to go Norman! :)

http://www.infoplease.com/ipea/A0882205.html

psycho.jpg

and of course way before the Stephen King's got into the act Agatha Christies novels were being made into good films. I recall one called was it Ten Little Indians? Must see again was quite suspensful.

No mentioned Carrie!

The scariest scene, the end when the hands come up out of the grave and grab hers as she lays down the flowers, ends up in the nuthouse. :lol:

Scary, Carrie, scary Carrie!