VCR Alert: In Search Of Houston's History

marmer

This sounds quite a bit like "Houston, Remember When". I wonder if it is excerpts from that series or totally new material?

That was a Super-Neato program and most was in color if I recall.

I know I sound like a broken 45 record, but its amazing what stories you hear from the senior citizen crowds still around our city. Like finding an old diary tucked inside a wall. :P

It did sound like a dated topic title, but I assume she was being nostalgic as in keeping with the theme. :D

Thanks for the sex change, but I am a guy. :lol: And I will be taping it on a VCR, not having bothered to go digital. This is the first TV program I've wanted to record in about a year.

there are no stupid questions right? what channel is khut?? Im rolling on dish.

KUHT is Channel 8, the public station, I have comcast digital, so it's ch. 8 or hdtv ch. 308.

What's a VCR? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info marmer.

:lol:

Edited by NenaE

Interesting program, but a disappointing reminder of how many historically significant buildings have been demolished (maybe that was the point?)

I found it interesting that Canal Street was originally named German Street, but the anti-German sentiment during WWI resulted in the name change. They also mentioned that the surrounding area was referred to as "Germantown."

Interesting program, but a disappointing reminder of how many historically significant buildings have been demolished (maybe that was the point?)

I found it interesting that Canal Street was originally named German Street, but the anti-German sentiment during WWI resulted in the name change. They also mentioned that the surrounding area was referred to as "Germantown."

Haven't seen it yet, but that's interesting to know, Germantown...gives me a clue as to why my great-grandparents picked that particular area to settle in, back when it was just a forested, rural area.

This was a very interesting program but I missed the very beginning. Does anyone know the access rules to the HMRC? I know some historical collections like that require you to have academic or professional needs.

Here's a start on your answer. I haven't been in a couple of years but I know you have to show some ID such as HPL card or DL and sign in, leave briefcases, purses, etc., in a locker, use only pencil. I have only worked in the main room, accessing things for myself or filling out a request and having things brought out; I saw spaces in the doc which I didn't recognize which may require some other clearance. The link indicates some collections are accessible only by appointment. There are other people here on HAIF with much more experience.

I thought the show was pretty good but frustrating - I was thinking 'no, no, I want to know more about Union Station, don't go off to another topic.' It would have been better as a multi-part series rather than a one-shot show but I'm sure there are budgetary issues at Channel 8.

There was some fascinating stuff I wasn't aware of - the first photograph ever taken in Houston, for instance.

I wish I had time to go through the entire photographic collection but I don't think I'll live long enough! Sure would be nice if some wealthy benefactor would step forward and fund digitizing the whole collection so it could be put online.

I thought the show was pretty good but frustrating - I was thinking 'no, no, I want to know more about Union Station, don't go off to another topic.' It would have been better as a multi-part series rather than a one-shot show but I'm sure there are budgetary issues at Channel 8.

My thoughts exactly. It was a great show but I wish it had been longer than one hour so they could go into more detail about some of the places. Still, very enjoyable and thanks marmer for letting us know about it.

That was brought up once on Haif I think in the Red Bricks topic about a year ago.

I missed this program but hope to see the repeat. Glad everyone got to see something we all enjoy, Houston History. :)

To learn more about Houston's history, visit your local library!

Uh-uh. Not your local library, especially if it's like the Smith branch near my neighborhood!

Visit the one downtown for all those great historical research materials. Call first to see if you need an appointment, since what you're interested in may not be accessible to the general public because of rarity or condition.