Your Halloween costume - as a kid!

Vertigo58

This should be very easy to answer.

What do you recall as being your favorite, scariest or most embarassing costume you wore as a kid? Let's try to be honest.

I once made my own costume as a mummy. I ripped white sheets into wide strips and tied all over myself and wore a scary plastic skeleton mask with it. There is a good photo that mom took as I crept up the stairs gazing into the camera in a slight circular blur. Pure Polaroid mistake but great scary end result. (more scanning to do) ...more rats!

Anyway I had a friend I worked with that told me he actually wore a Banana Split's costume. We all busted up into hysterics when he confessed about it.

My mummy outfit kind of looked like this... :D

Mummy.jpg

I remember going as a ballpark peanut vendor once. It wasn't very successful I guess because it looked too real. When I knocked on people's doors they kept trying to buy the peanuts from me.

The last time I went trick-or-treating I was a cop and my friend was a robber in handcuffs. Again, too many people thought it was real (maybe because I was a little on the tall side as a child), and we had to give up.

I was a black cat, once...it was one of those cheesy dimestore costumes, in the cardboard box, always too short, with the plastic mask that hurt your face, rubberband always broke. :lol: BTW-Those things go for a lot of money nowadays, especially if you have the box, too... "highly collectible". Seinfeld does a great stand-up routine about them, just hilarious. Boy, those were the times... :D

I think I almost always a witch. I never much cared about the costume. The only one I remember really liking was one year I went as a bum. I guess back then we called them 'hobos'. Mom made up my face to look all dirty and I dressed in dirty, torn boys clothes.

Not sure why I liked that. Hmm.

When I was in college I used to dress as various faculty members for Halloween. We had some who were individualistic enough to be quite easily parodied. Either that or full western gear with boots, hat, a fancy western shirt, and a string tie. Among my crowd that was quite exotic, even in Houston.

When I was little, I was always an astronaut. I had a pretty cool store bought costume with a space helmet and space suit. I loved that.

When I was 7 or 8 I started being Dracula every year. My mom made me a cape and I figured out how to do pretty good vampire makeup. I loved that so much I had a hard time not wearing it every day.

When I was 10 or so my dad swiped a big brown monk's robe from some movie prop storage place. I did a gray skull makeup with big empty eye sockets and teeth drawn over my lips. Oooh, that was fun.

In the late 80s I went to a Halloween party dressed as Ben from "Blue Velvet". (That's Dean Stockwell's character, the one who lip-syncs "In Dreams" for Frank into the shop light.)

Last year I was a pirate. This year I think I'll be a dead pirate.

Edited by memebag

My mother used to rent my costumes from a costume company downtown. One year I remember being a tiger - and quite embarassed!

When I was in college, I was Scarlet O'Hara, and there was actually a Rhett Butler at the same party! We didn't know each other - but we ended up in a 5 year relationship after that!

I went to a costume shop near downtown Houston one year to rent a costume and ended up walking out. They were all moldy smelling and funky feeling. You would think that whenever someone rents a costume that it would be cleaned upon return, but I don't think so.

These are all hilarious responses. Your all killing me, get it?

When my brothers and sisters were real little my mom made our costumes (she used to be a professional tailor in downtown back when) so she made them quite well. Only us older 3 actually got to walk down the street trick or treating but we knew everyone it seemed and even walked with cousins just 2 houses over so it was safe.

Our costumes were stereotypical Halloween.

Big brother Frankenstein, big sis a witch, me a ghost (sheet with holes in them) very Charlie Brown-like.

Rats, all I got was a rock. :lol:

charlieBrown.jpg

I recall a homemade Robin the Boy Wonder costume that involved a homemade cape, mask, gloves, and...gag..tights....I believe at 6 or 7 I was pretty darned impressed

Whats even funnier is some people (secretly) enjoy dressing like that as adults! What ! :lol:

I was once a giant Budweiser can of beer I made myself and paid very close attention to detail when I made it circa 1982. Have pics but again more blasted scanning to do. Blah.

Then I had a vacuum cleaner hose coming out from the bottom, and I had numerous "attachments" that went into the end of the hose. On my head was a shower cap with a hook on top. Maybe you can figure out for yourself what I was supposed to be.

In case you still can't figure it out, the buckets say "Vinegar" and "Water".

We envy you Heights2Bastrop!

Kind of reminds me of old Carol's bit :lol:

carol-burnett-classic.jpg