Washington Ave. & Yale St.

Nick

There is a very large lot of land near Yale and Washington Ave that was previously filled with warehouses but has all been leveled.

Does anyone know who owns this land and more importantly what they are planning to do with it?

The only address posted at the site is 3901 Koehler St, which doesn't come up in the Harris County Property Tax site.

Map of the area:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/kaon7/map.jpg

I don't think anything will be developed there for a long time. I actually PM'ed the owner of HHN Builders, as there was a rumor on Swamplot that mentioned HHN was planning another development there.

That rumor turned out to be untrue because of the high price point of the land and the fact that it used to be the old Trinity Fence Company.

He also mentioned that there were some environmental issues due to the industrial nature of the company. In short, anybody developing it will have to spend a boatload of money to purchase the land and then to "clean" up the soil.

I wishfully thought it would be a great place for a grocery store, but I don't think that's going to happen unless the city decides to fill in the drainage culverts to allow easier traffic flow.

• 9 months later...

If you look at the map from post 1, there is a house (I saw on GoogleEarth) that sits on the property north of Spencer Road. Montana & Herd streets surround it, as well. The house has no visible concrete drive. Anyone know the story of this house? Just wondered what it looked like, is it occupied, who owned it, what style it is? Know it has to be pretty old, the Sanborn maps show it with an address at 3802 Spencer St. The maps also show a dwelling (smaller house) to the nw of the big house, and a shed. Also, what neighborhood is that? HAR lists it as Rice Military.

If you look at the map from post 1, there is a house (I saw on GoogleEarth) that sits on the property north of Spencer Road. Montana & Herd streets surround it, as well. The house has no visible concrete drive. Anyone know the story of this house? Just wondered what it looked like, is it occupied, who owned it, what style it is? Know it has to be pretty old, the Sanborn maps show it with an address at 3802 Spencer St. The maps also show a dwelling (smaller house) to the nw of the big house, and a shed. Also, what neighborhood is that? HAR lists it as Rice Military.

HCAD shows the legal description as Sessums Tract. The property is owned by someone named Hunt. You can look up the address on HCAD for more information.

HCAD shows the legal description as Sessums Tract. The property is owned by someone named Hunt. You can look up the address on HCAD for more information.

We were walking around in the neighborhood after Ike and one of this house's neighbor said that the onwer is a civil or electrical engineer and build the house himself long time before the Washington / West end boom started.

Sarah and Don Hunt -- They own San Jacinto Stone and I believe they own several old houses on the north side of the SJ Stone property there.

That's a nice property. The whole south side of I-10 has always intriqued me, you can see some very old houses (while driving) from this area towards downtown, around the curve, where it meets I-45 (around Houston St.). Some of the roofs are made out of those tin-looking tile patterned materials. I don't mind townhouses sharing some space, but I'm sorry to see so many townhouses replacing whole neighborhoods in these areas. It's always nice to come across these hidden little pockets of wilderness within this huge city.

I have heard that is one of the possible locations for the planned 24 Hour Ultra to serve the Heights area. I believe this will be the only Ultra gym in Texas. My friend is a manager at one of the 24 Hour Gyms in Friendswood and mentioned this to me.

I hope it happens, that is a prime piece of property.

There is a very large lot of land near Yale and Washington Ave that was previously filled with warehouses but has all been leveled.

Does anyone know who owns this land and more importantly what they are planning to do with it?

I can't find the links to the articles that are my sources, but I read that the primary investor behind the Morgan Group had sold this 25 acre property for around $9M to HHN. HHN had planned on putting townhouses there, but then the real estate market tanked and they put it up for sale. There was a large for sale sign with contact info on the eastside of Bonner.

As the economy picks up I can't imagine a 25 acre contiguous tract inside the loop will remain undeveloped. I understand the concerns of the toxicity of the soil, but surely HHN was aware and they were willing to develop it. I'm glad they demolished the buildings and reclaimed the concrete foundations instead of leaving behind vacant buildings.

I have heard that is one of the possible locations for the planned 24 Hour Ultra to serve the Heights area. I believe this will be the only Ultra gym in Texas. My friend is a manager at one of the 24 Hour Gyms in Friendswood and mentioned this to me.

I hope it happens, that is a prime piece of property.

Prime for more mini-storage and rail-front townhomes. Make it a big park, or a brewery.

Prime for more mini-storage and rail-front townhomes. Make it a big park, or a brewery.

That would be a great idea to turn it into a park, I wonder if the concept of a "pay-to-play" park has ever been successfel...

Now that you mention the mini-storage, that tract of land looks prime for a Home Depot, lol. That will be perfect for the many migrant day workers hanging around in the area!

• 2 weeks later...

That would be a great idea to turn it into a park, I wonder if the concept of a "pay-to-play" park has ever been successfel...

Now that you mention the mini-storage, that tract of land looks prime for a Home Depot, lol. That will be perfect for the many migrant day workers hanging around in the area!

If you haven't noticed, directly across Yale from this lot once stood the "Sons of Hermann, Edelweiss 4 & Magnolia 7" membership lodge, along with several houses associated with the art car museum. The houses were the first to go a couple of years ago, and now they have finally torn down the lodge about a month ago, after a year or so of abandonment. The entire lot from the tracks up to the apartment complex directly across from West End Clinic is now open, apparently making way for either a)more townhomes or b)more storage. The Sons of Hermann was there for MANY years. I believe it dated back to the 30's or 40's.

Pay to Play park? I don't like the idea of that. It is bad enough that citizens must pay to attend city sponsored festivals which use public streets and parks. Has this been successful in other cities? What sort of play would I pay for at such a place?

Does one have to pay to use the new skate park?

The only address posted at the site is 3901 Koehler St, which doesn't come up in the Harris County Property Tax site.

Map of the area:

map.jpg

Nick,

Not that you were representing the map as a perfectly accurate representation, but just for clarity the section between Center Street and the railroad tracks between Bonner and Yale is actually an HHN townhouse community. Also the NW corner at Bonner and Koehler is an active factory called Berger Iron Works. That still leaves a fairly large (~25 acre) plot, but it has not "all been levelled".

As long as there is a 24 hour check cashing place i am all for it.

Pay to Play park? I don't like the idea of that. It is bad enough that citizens must pay to attend city sponsored festivals which use public streets and parks. Has this been successful in other cities? What sort of play would I pay for at such a place?

Does one have to pay to use the new skate park?

Skate park should be free, pay-to-play park was really just a whimsical comment. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Home Depot/Lowe's showed up there. Fits the freeway location perfectly, as well as knowing the surplus of migrant workers in the area to hang out in their parking lot. Heck, there's even a railroad nearby to drop off their lumber!

I believe in the olden days private parks were actually pretty common, Gramercy Park in Manhattan comes to mind...

Joe Jamail Skate Park is free, try the new public shower there...

I wishfully thought it would be a great place for a grocery store, but I don't think that's going to happen unless the city decides to fill in the drainage culverts to allow easier traffic flow.

Well, now that you mention it. I've heard H-E-B is looking for a location to build one of their new metropolitan version stores in the Heights. This metro-version is a smaller version of the new one at Bunker Hill and I-10. Its first example just opened on Buffalo Speedway and Bissonet. Very cool design.

If you go here and send your note to the attention of their Real Estate Department or Scott McClellan you can let them know if you want that version of the store there. I used to shop Kroger, but it got so nasty; 43rd is heading that way now. And Bunker Hill is a haul and a half!

Sounds like there is hopes that this will become a big retail destination from the neighborhoods in the area.

Supposedly TXDOT has confirmed that oconstruction will start on the extension of the Feeder Road (I-10) from Patterson to Yale, also a Yale exit off I-10 will be constructed as well.

This should solve the problem of ingress/egress to this neat property.

once this happens, whatever it ends up being, and those lots by Arne's are developed, i am pretty much staying in the heights. traffic is going to be a nightmare. yale and studewood are already too congested. ugh.

so, can someone please open an ice cream place somewhere along 11th where i can walk with my kids? that is all i am really missing.

• 4 months later...

Map of the area:

map.jpg

The old house that sits off of Spencer (see my post #5) is very visible right now. You can see it from the Yale bridge. What a great old house, it's a shame the roof has collapsed. What a time capsule, even the property's iron gate looks ancient. They are clearing the land of old trees on this land, between the property and the bayou. Sad to see that happening. Wonder what's going on.

The old house that sits off of Spencer (see my post #5) is very visible right now. You can see it from the Yale bridge. What a great old house, it's a shame the roof has collapsed. What a time capsule, even the property's iron gate looks ancient. They are clearing the land of old trees on this land, between the property and the bayou. Sad to see that happening. Wonder what's going on.

My guess would be in preparation for the I10 feeder expansion/on and off ramps... Which hopefully will get enough push back will be cancelled.

• 1 year later...

Here's a pic of the house (that I talked about in post #24) that I'm intrigued by. I took this picture a while back. The house looks very old. The land around it slopes considerably, ravine near it runs into the bayou to the north of the land. Sad to see it in such a state of decay. Is it still there?<BR><BR>090.jpg

• 2 years later...

I see from GoogleEarth that the old houses off Montana ( directly north of Koehler, around Spencer and bayou in map) are GONE. See previous post. I'm glad I toured the area before it was scalped. Does anyone recall what happened to the houses? I'm guessing the old one in the photo was demolished. And what is going on, right now?

I believe those were wiped off the map (along with the east part of Spencer, east of Bass) for the Yale Street Marketplace project, which incorporates the former San Jacinto Stone property and will include Sprouts, LA Fitness, and Guitar Center.

Remember, these posts are all 5+ years old, and the area looked completely different then (abandoned railroad spur, apartments, etc.)

If these people were aware that a Walmart would be going up in that property, they'd go berserk (and they did--a very long thread that goes on for at least two dozen pages was created around 2009 and finally leveled off around 2011, it's now locked)

It looks like the houses were demolished about a year ago (Swamplot daily demolition reports)

• The title was changed to Construction Project Underway Near Washington Ave. & Yale St.
  • The title was changed to Washington Ave. & Yale St.

Archived