Hurricane Ike

Trae

We can do it, cast it full of HAIFers. :D

I could play the religious skeptic who scoffs at those hunkered down and locked up inside in the church (Lakewood would be too sacriligious, so we'd have to change it to a small parish-type Catholic church) praising the lord and comforting each other.

Of course (as the sole black guy in this flick, and because of my impertinence, slovenly looks, and general reprobation) I'd get killed off tragically (flying timber? or something gruesome)?) in like the first 20 minutes.

:P

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could play the religious skeptic who scoffs at those hunkered down and locked up inside in the church (Lakewood would be too sacriligious, so we'd have to change it to a small parish-type Catholic church) praising the lord and comforting each other.

Of course (as the sole black guy in this flick, and because of my impertinence, slovenly looks, and general reprobation) I'd get killed off tragically (flying timber? or something gruesome)?) in like the first 20 minutes.

:P

Yeah, black dude always gets killed off quick, unless they get Will Smith to play you. Then you'd save the city.

This is crazy. Now it has my area below hurricane-force winds:

http://houstonhidefromthewind.org/index.php?map_type=text

I'm going to expect between 70-90 mph sustained over here.

Still, some damage at those speeds considering it will last for like 10-12 hrs. I'm just hoping there will be minimal damage to my house cuz there will be damage for sure at this point.

Tune in to KHOU!!, Gene and Dr. Neil Frank are constantly interrupting each other. I think Gene is a bit miffed Neil is stealing his thunder.

What a dumb idea, if Neil is retired, let the new Cheif Meteorologist do his job.

This is just a hair away from The View.

Nope.

Who needs a movie... WE ARE LIVING IT! ha ha ha

Don't you HATE that?? When they have the actual footage of a famous event...yet they still have the need to grab some moron actors and rewrite history with their bogus 'artistic license'??

But if they do make a movie, hopefully it will be called 'Ike...Republicans always go to the Right'.

Don't you HATE that?? When they have the actual footage of a famous event...yet they still have the need to grab some moron actors and rewrite history with their bogus 'artistic license'??

But if they do make a movie, hopefully it will be called 'Ike...Republicans always go to the Right'.

:lol:

No change in strength. Slight rise in pressure although it went down a bit earlier.

Also, look at the Galveston beach cam. It's like a dust storm.

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/

There's a party going on at The Spot! They have a surf cam, too. At westguy's link above, or at http://www.thespotgalveston.com/webcam.html. Is this place actually open or are they just making their own party? :huh:

There's a party going on at The Spot! They have a surf cam, too. At westguy's link above, or at http://www.thespotgalveston.com/webcam.html. Is this place actually open or are they just making their own party? :huh:

Kinda funny seeing the people on the deck with plywood on the windows.

Weather Channel just reported that a hurricane hunter found peak gusts at 139 mph, and I believe they said pressure was dropping. Not positive on the last part.

Tune in to KHOU!!, Gene and Dr. Neil Frank are constantly interrupting each other. I think Gene is a bit miffed Neil is stealing his thunder.

What a dumb idea, if Neil is retired, let the new Cheif Meteorologist do his job.

This is just a hair away from The View.

I agree, they should take away Dr Neil's access pass and be done with it. Gene is actually very good and it's quite unfair to him that the big game's here and they've figuratively dug out Jeff Bagwell in place of Lance Berkman.

I agree, they should take away Dr Neil's access pass and be done with it. Gene is actually very good and it's quite unfair to him that the big game's here and they've figuratively dug out Jeff Bagwell in place of Lance Berkman.

Oh hell, let's not stop there, just take him out back and put two in his jug!!!!!!!!! :angry::angry2:

I have a cure for that problem. I've been switching between 13 and the Weather Channel. Haven't look at 11 once.

Latest projection is landfall between Freeport and Galveston...basically San Luis Pass. For Houston proper, the big question is whether it begins to turn north before or after landfall. Earlier, the path was running up the west Loop. Now, it is projected up the east Loop...a difference of roughly 10 miles. Hardly a number I'd put much faith in. Furthermore, hurricane force winds extend 115 miles, so 10 miles means nothing. And, of the 6 major computer models, 4 still project a direct hit on Houston, with a 5th projecting a direct hit on the Ship Channel.

The biggest difference between east and west of the eye is that winds on the east side will appear stronger due to forward motion. For instance, a 110 mph hurricane travelling 15 mph will feel like 125 mph on the east side, but only feel like 95 on the west side. Not much difference while you sit in the middle of it, but it could mean the difference between keeping your roof and losing it.

Good news is the freeways seem to be in better shape than I've ever seen preceding a hurricane. Kudos to local officials in convincing inland residents to suck it up and hunker down. If the storm cooperates by not killing anybody, the plan to evacuate coastal surge victims and shelter in place for inland residents may become the norm.

eye forming up now? last image shows a little spot in the middle...or am I 0 for 2? Let's hope the forecast keeps shifting east

I think its unchanged, but we'll see at the next advisory. This storm isn't expected to change much until tomorrow evening.

I just saw the next frame, and there appears to be a lot of dry air making it deep into the hurricane.

I think its unchanged, but we'll see at the next advisory. This storm isn't expected to change much until tomorrow evening.

yeah...honestly, it looks like the same swirling mass it has for a while - which is probably a good thing. Just odd that both this storm and Gustav had such a hard time forming an eye once they got past Cuba. I'd prefer an eye not form...I guess I just get a little jumpy after watching satellite images for 12 hours or so, lol

Edit: looks like something is going on in the last few images - as in Ike is finally getting his stuff together. time to stop watching for a while

Archived