College Football 2008-09

lockmat

They still call the "Orange Bowl" the "Orange Bowl" don't they? It's changed stadiums three times.

So they just finisehd the cotton bowl upgrades last season, right? How long has the agreement to play at Jerry World been in place? What was the point of the upgrade? What other events/games will they have starting next year? Will they still have the fair there?

Lots of questions, I know... I'm off to wikipedia

edit ,research:

In November 2006, the city of Dallas and the State Fair of Texas finally agreed on funding for a long-planned[2] $50 million renovation, with $30 million of this amount from a city bond.[3]. Thus, in April 2007, the schools signed a contract to play at the Cotton Bowl through 2015, coupled with a $57 million fund for upgrades and improvements to the aging stadium.[4]. The 2008 game was held on October 11.

The 2008 renovations include the expansion of the seating capacity of the stadium from 76,000 to 92,200, mostly through the complete encircling of the second deck (as seen here in September 2008 photos [1] [2] [3]), new media and VIP facilities, a new scoreboard and video screen, updated restrooms and concession areas, lighting, utility and sound upgrades and the replacement of all the stadium's seats.

the game will move to Arlington, Texas, and the Dallas Cowboys New Stadium on New Year's Day 2010.

Edited by lockmat

Anyone else have fun watching Bama get beat? I loved it. I know I'm supposed to be an SEC homer, but as the game went on I found myself being more and more satisfied that they were losing, and looking really bad doing it. JPW sucks, their play calling sucked, tackling sucked, and their attitude showed that they really might be a couple years ahead of themselves when it comes to deserving to be where they are. I only hope the sucking carries over into next year, while my boy Les at LSU reels in the #1 recruiting class.

Well that left tackle/right tackle stuff can only get you so far. The shellacking they took at the hands of Florida should've been an indicator. I think the real losers are CBS and ESPN.

Why? The game was on Fox. I think the losers are the false-sense-of-entitlement bama fans.

I really think they have dragged out these bowl games way too far past new year's this time. Why the hell are there 2 pointless bowls after new year's day? Why do I have to wait until next Thursday for the real deal? It should be done by Jan 1, or at most the weekend following Jan 1 if it's in the middle of the week.

Me...I picked them, it's called defense. The big 12 didn't have much of that this year, ergo ridiculous offensive numbers.

Bottomline, your pick choked, just like my 'Bama pick choked last night. I knew Ole Miss could handle that po dunk Tech team though.

man im upset that #7 Texas Tech is playing Ole Miss who isnt even ranked, yeah they might have beat Florida but come on? Tech deserves a better challenge, i was hoping for LSU

Regardless i already have my Cotton Bowl tickets, im just afraid its goin to be a slaughter. id rather Tech lose in a back and forth game than win with a blowout.

TT

....at least one HAIFer got his wish granted. fate, was it everything you hoped it would be ? ;)

I was referring to the several billion dollars that ESPN and CBS paid to televise SEC games over the next 15 years.

No worries about that paying off. This was a down year for the SEC, and I bet they still made their money off of telecasts. Then again I have no evidence of that. I just know that even when their teams are bad, the SEC fans will still watch. I think the SEC has as much or more of a national audience than other big conferences as well. The big 10 really is crap to people outside the midwest, ACC is very east coast, PAC 10 very west coast. The SEC is spread out more and with recent high quality teams and champions are a better draw tv-wise. I think it's the only conference with a weekly national network broadcast - I know we don't get big 12 games every week in LA. All of this according to my rambling at least.

I really wish CBS would let the SEC games go to someone else, I hate their production of games from the music to the announcers, it just seems like it's aimed for a bunch of 70 year old dudes.

Edited by 20thStDad

No worries about that paying off. This was a down year for the SEC, and I bet they still made their money off of telecasts. Then again I have no evidence of that. I just know that even when their teams are bad, the SEC fans will still watch. I think the SEC has as much or more of a national audience than other big conferences as well. The big 10 really is crap to people outside the midwest, ACC is very east coast, PAC 10 very west coast. The SEC is spread out more and with recent high quality teams and champions are a better draw tv-wise. I think it's the only conference with a weekly national network broadcast - I know we don't get big 12 games every week in LA. All of this according to my rambling at least.

I really wish CBS would let the SEC games go to someone else, I hate their production of games from the music to the announcers, it just seems like it's aimed for a bunch of 70 year old dudes.

Really? My impression is that the SEC is extremely regional. I never used to see their games on tv in bars or see people with SEC team logos in other places that I've lived. The style of football is usually really very boring.

Really? My impression is that the SEC is extremely regional. I never used to see their games on tv in bars or see people with SEC team logos in other places that I've lived. The style of football is usually really very boring.

Yeah that must be why there's such high bidding to carry their games, and why there's a national network SEC game every week (no other conference, just Notre Dame can say that, and they aren't even every week). And it also must be why the SEC has the last 2, 3 of the last 5, and possibly this year's championship.

I picked Utah because the Utes play solid defense. Combine that with the fact that Bama's offense can flat out suck and you had the potential for what happened.

Too many people were saying things like "Utah = Hawaii" but that couldn't be further from the truth. Hawaii played two big games last year, Boise State and Georgia. Utah played at Michigan (game 1 of the season before anyone knew that the Blue would suck, Oregon State (beat USC and was playing for the Pac Ten title in week 12 of the season), TCU (will finish in the top ten), BYU (another top 25 team with 2 wins over the Pac Ten), Air Force, and Colorado State (a bowl winner).

As an aside, non-BCS members are now 3-1 in BCS Bowl games with Utah having defeated Pitt (Fiesta Bowl) and Bama (Sugar Bowl) and Boise's win over Oklahoma (Fiesta Bowl). Only Hawaii has lost. But, I guarantee you if a non-BCS team makes it next year, we'll hear the same complaints that they aren't worthy and they'll get blown off the field.

In the end, Utah is #1 in my mind. Their strength of schedule was actually rated HIGHER than Alabama's heading into the Sugar Bowl! Yes, that is correct. They will be the only team at the end of the season who wont be debating which team had the "better" loss!

Yeah that must be why there's such high bidding to carry their games, and why there's a national network SEC game every week (no other conference, just Notre Dame can say that, and they aren't even every week). And it also must be why the SEC has the last 2, 3 of the last 5, and possibly this year's championship.

Er...ok. Anyway, I don't doubt the commitment of SEC fans, I just doubt the judgment of CBS/ESPN.

Anyway, good luck to your team in the national championship game! The rest of the SEC may be hapless against Florida's spread option but I think Oklahoma might actually know how to defend it.

Edited by N Judah

Er...ok. Anyway, I don't doubt the commitment of SEC fans, I just doubt the judgment of CBS/ESPN.

Anyway, good luck to your team in the national championship game! The rest of the SEC may be hapless against Florida's spread option but I think Oklahoma might actually know how to defend it.

Honestly I just hope it's a good game. I don't despise Oklahoma so if they pull it out in a close, fun game I'll be just as happy. Oh, LSU is my team by the way. We are only the champions of the Peach Bowl this year. I'll take it, based on how we closed out our regular season!

Bottomline, your pick choked, just like my 'Bama pick choked last night. I knew Ole Miss could handle that po dunk Tech team though.

Hoddy Toddy....Go Rebels...I should probably have been pulling for Tech since it would have been better for the Big 12 but I just couldn't go against the team I grew up with. Tech didn't want to be there, and Ole Miss wanted it like it was a national championship. Orgeron left Ole Miss with some amazing athletes and Houston Nutt can get a lot out of them. They return a lot of guys next season, so watch out in the SEC west (they get Bama and LSU at home next season...)

I heard on 610 radio that they can change the schedules as long as it a year's notice if the current scheduled opponent agrees to it. Whether they will do it or not, don't know. It is too late for 09-10', but they can change it for the following year.

Edited by sifuwong

I can't believe the Horns almost lost to Ohio State. Ohio State should NOT have been invited to play in a BCS Bowl game but they gave the Horns everything they had.

At least it was a better game than OSU's last two attempts in BCS Bowls (LSU and Florida).

That said, the Big 12 South is definitely starting to look overrated. Okie State lost. Tech lost badly. And UT needed a last second TD to beat an Ohio State team that scored 9 points combined against USC and Penn State (failed to score a TD in those games).

I am liking my Florida pick more and more...

That is an easy non-conference but I think it is because there no more "helmet teams" in there Big 12 play. But I kinda want them to play BCS schools but dont really care cause winning their big 12 games should be good enough.

Colt McCoy played like a Heisman last night! That was a great game.

Cant believe I am going for the Sooners.

Colt McCoy played like a Heisman last night! That was a great game.

Really? That was his lowest passer rating of the season, and lower than every single game that this year's Heisman winner had to boot. But, I suppose compared to that rushing attack, McCoy did look good.

Lucky for the horns, they got to play OSU, instead of having to play USC, Utah, Florida or OU. Now, Mack can vote the horns No.1, and we can listen to horn fans tell us how good the Big 10 is. :lol:

Really? That was his lowest passer rating of the season, and lower than every single game that this year's Heisman winner had to boot. But, I suppose compared to that rushing attack, McCoy did look good.

Lucky for the horns, they got to play OSU, instead of having to play USC, Utah, Florida or OU. Now, Mack can vote the horns No.1

He lead his team to victory in a BCS game with less than 2 minutes left and 80 yards to go. Did you see his rushing TD(100th TD) it was Vince like with the spin move and touch down. I will play Utah anyday who beat an overrated Bama Team! OU already had a taste and they dont want no more!!!!!!! We will do USC like Vince did in 2005! Florida's Quterback is 4th best at most if you want to look at the statistics. Its Fact even though voters dont want to believe it. GO HORNS :D

Edited by Deut28Thirteen