Houston Resists Recycling

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Intersesting to see it in the NY Times. Just yesterday we got a letter from the city and schedule of recycling pick-up days.

The city has stepped up its Go Green campaign, but has lately been warning people that if they don't improve participation rates, they will lose the green bin pick-up. It's just not cost effective.

Here is a document that lists participation rates by neighborhood: The numbers are pretty lame. How hard is it to put the plastic out in a container on the curb? You don't even have to use a green bin. I've seen people in my own hood used other containers, and it gets picked up.

http://www.houstontx.gov/solidwaste/gogree...pationrates.pdf

Here is a document that lists participation rates by neighborhood: The numbers are pretty lame. How hard is it to put the plastic out in a container on the curb?
I agree however some neighborhoods are having problems getting their recyclables picked up on the scheduled day and residents are getting confused about the actual date. another issue is that in some areas the trucks come after 6 (as late as 9) and people pull their bin back in, thinking the trucks aren't coming. i know it's happening in dist e.

We are having pick up issues this week due to the sewer project. Musicman is right, if people think they were missed, they give up.

I might start doing the crazy old man thing, and get a can crusher and save all the aluminium until we can fill the back of the truck, then take it over to C&D and get some $2 bills in return.

I consider it a personal victory just to throw stuff away and get it to the curb. Asking me to sort it based on component materials and plastic type is unreasonable.

I hope you're kidding. That's pretty lame.

I can remember in the northeast about 20 years ago when recycling became common... there was an initial resistance, then people started doing it. I think it's totally lazy and selfish that people here don't participate. We don't have recycling in my neighborhood, but I still collect the mountains of paper we accumulate and take it to a bin. I guess I'm lazy and selfish too for not taking the rest of it to a bin as well. In my defense, there is a paper collection bin on almost every corner, but I would have to go much further to get to a center that takes the rest of it.

Houston is lame, lame lame when it comes to recycling.

I consider it a personal victory just to throw stuff away and get it to the curb. Asking me to sort it based on component materials and plastic type is unreasonable.

You don't have to sort anything. Just check the number on plastic bottles and don't put in the #6 (which ever ones that is). They don't take glass curbside.

Today is curbside recycle day for me. I put out two bins full, one green and the other one is mine. It has a lid, so I use it for paper. Designated neighbors put out signs in their yard to remind people, since it is only every other week. Also, the Hines building I work in downtown has started a recycling program. So, I feel like I'm doing my part. It's really not very hard.

It's true - it is not difficult to do.

I also try to minimize the amount of trash I create - less use of paper towels, plastic wrap, and so on, and more use of cloth towels, containers, cloth bags at the grocery store, and other re-usable items.

You don't have to sort anything. Just check the number on plastic bottles and don't put in the #6 (which ever ones that is). They don't take glass curbside.

That's sorting. I don't have time for that.

Then, get organized and do your part to help save the planet.

Kidding aside, I have two containers on my patio. One is for paper and the other for plastic and cans. I simply put a paper grocery bag in the green bin for cans and just throw plastic in the remaining part of the tub. It literally takes no time from my schedule. It's unbelievable how my roll out trash is nearly empty now.

I think New York needs to realize that not everyone can send all their trash down to Virginia...

insert Punchline Joke Drum sound.

Wow, I did a LOL in the office, thanx for nothing! :P

Too funny . . .

I'm with you memebag. I've never been hurt by a landfill. There's plenty of space in the world, just keep filling them up. We've got a lot more pressing problems than landfills.

In fact, recycling actually saves me time and effort. All paper, cans and plastic, except for styrofoam (#6) goes into the bin. This reduces my real trash to less than one bag per week. Because it is such a small amount, I only put the big trash bin out on the street every 2 to 3 weeks, saving the time it takes to roll that honker out and back once a week.

Ah, you're probably one of those people who washes dishes. I just use paper plates and plastic cups and cuttlery.

I'll let you do the googling on how much plastic we consume. But, I will give you a hint. Plastic is made from oil. ;)

I know that, but recycled plastic doesn't have a lot of uses. It sounds like you think recycled plastic could make a significant dent in plastic products made from oil. Google turned up a list of misconceptions about plastic recycling:

http://www.ecologycenter.org/ptf/misconceptions.html

Ah, you're probably one of those people who washes dishes. I just use paper plates and plastic cups and cuttlery.

I go through about 8 rolls of paper towels a week. The neighborhood I live in has an aluminum can recycling program and I don't do that either. I'm not sure if the money they get from the cans goes to the neighborhood or to a charity. On the off chance that it might not be financially benfiting me I throw my cans in the garbage instead.

Oh good! The anti-recycling braggadocio has begun! Maybe next we'll get into a debate about how few miles per gallon our dually pickups get. Or better yet, let's see who throws the most trash out on the highway. I just LOVE that Houston independent streak!

Dude, you are either lazy when it comes to washing dishes, or live in a trailer park.

Treat yourself to some real dishes man.

I know that, but recycled plastic doesn't have a lot of uses. It sounds like you think recycled plastic could make a significant dent in plastic products made from oil. Google turned up a list of misconceptions about plastic recycling:

http://www.ecologycenter.org/ptf/misconceptions.html

Well heck, I thought the number system was there so we can re-melt the plastic and create new containers.

Why the chasing arrows, that is misleading.

Dude, you are either lazy when it comes to washing dishes, or live in a trailer park.

Treat yourself to some real dishes man.

I use plastic forks and spoons exclusively to conserve on effort, time, and detergent. And when cooking at home, I usually eat straight from the saucepan, and when I'm not, its because the food can be hand-held...don't need no stinkin' plate.

I don't recycle and have been known to throw car batteries in the dumpster. What I am anal about though, is using containers that I'd otherwise throw away to pack trash into until they just won't take any more...also out of laziness, because by doing this I can avoid taking out the trash for whole months at a time...although it helps that my diet consists primarily of processed foods which don't rot in the garbage.

Btw, it isn't anti-recycling braggadocio...its honest indifference and self-serving minimalism.

I use plastic forks and spoons exclusively to conserve on effort, time, and detergent. And when cooking at home, I usually eat straight from the saucepan, and when I'm not, its because the food can be hand-held...don't need no stinkin' plate.

I don't recycle and have been known to throw car batteries in the dumpster. What I am anal about though, is using containers that I'd otherwise throw away to pack trash into until they just won't take any more...also out of laziness, because by doing this I can avoid taking out the trash for whole months at a time...although it helps that my diet consists primarily of processed foods which don't rot in the garbage.

Btw, it isn't anti-recycling braggadocio...its honest indifference and self-serving minimalism.

I shouldn't judge. . . but Niche. . . I was hoping better from you man. :(

I shouldn't judge. . . but Niche. . . I was hoping better from you man. :(

What's wrong with eating from the pan? I eat from the pan, drink from the jug. The only thing dirty when I am done is the fork...the same fork I use to stir the food on the stove. So, no, I do not even waste my time getting paper plates, and plastic cups and forks. That is an inefficient use of my time. I honestly don't know why memebag goes to such lengths to be wasteful.

Archived