Flamin' hot chili thread

memebag

None of that shows them putting beans in their chili con carne.

Just because it's not on the internet doesn't mean it's not true.

That's the big failing of Wikipedia. If you can't post a LINK to a source, then your article gets trashed. 99% of all human knowledge is in books and microfilm and other non-networked media. I've had a number of edits I made to Wikipedia reversed because I couldn't cite a source. I AM THE SOURCE! I've written about thing I know because I was there and experienced them. The funny thing is that most of the time, I was a reporter at the event so if I had written about it for a newspaper that posted it online then it would be Wiki-worthy. But since I transmitted it over the air live as a radio reporter it doesn't count.

Anyway -- back to my point -- I know what I've read. Maybe some day those books will be available online. But it doesn't make it not true because they aren't.

LOL must be a white thing.

th_thats_racist.gif

I'm Lebanese, and I've never heard of that. Do you have a source?

The specific concoction I'm referring to is "Cincinnati Chili" where a thin chili-like gravy that includes meat, chocolate, cinnamon, and other spices is poured over spaghetti and topped with cheddar cheese. I've posted a picture of it elsewhere on HAIF.

As a Lebanese person, you're undoubtedly aware that many of your countrymen immigrated to the Toledo, Ohio area. One of the stories of how Cincinnati Chili got its start involves it being a recipe that spread south from Toledo to Cincinnati where it was transformed from home cookin' into a marketable industry. That industry, while quite large (there are hundreds of chili parlors in the Tri-State Area) remains very regional.

You know we all have ADD and can't keep on one topic.

[citation needed]

Just because it's not on the internet doesn't mean it's not true.

That's the big failing of Wikipedia. If you can't post a LINK to a source, then your article gets trashed. 99% of all human knowledge is in books and microfilm and other non-networked media. I've had a number of edits I made to Wikipedia reversed because I couldn't cite a source. I AM THE SOURCE! I've written about thing I know because I was there and experienced them. The funny thing is that most of the time, I was a reporter at the event so if I had written about it for a newspaper that posted it online then it would be Wiki-worthy. But since I transmitted it over the air live as a radio reporter it doesn't count.

Anyway -- back to my point -- I know what I've read. Maybe some day those books will be available online. But it doesn't make it not true because they aren't.

My college courses do not accept ANYTHING from Wikipedia as a source. In fact, you will gain the disdain of your instructor for using it.

I like it as a quick reference to find out the basics of an issue or idea. But for more details I use much deeper information sources.

Like blogs.

LOL

Never heard of any Lebanese in Toledo. My people are from Rocky Mount, North Carolina. Well, there and a few from Zebulon. Oh, and a couple from Wilson. And Wagram. No, wait, that's from my dad's side. None from Wagram. Anyway, I digress. If it doesn't have lamb, it isn't Lebanese.

Were these Lebanese Toledoans members of Hamas, perhaps? Those people are always screwing up Lebanon. They might have screwed up the food, as well. Not hummus, mind you. That's chickpeas. Hamas, the terrorists. They could be food terrorists, too. Just a thought. Or, maybe the Lebanese didn't name it that at all. Maybe whitey did that. You know how whitey always names things wrong. Kinda like naming the native Americans Indians, even though they weren't anywhere near India. Coulda been something like that.

Anyway, I don't know any Lebanese from Toledo. A couple of lesbians. A couple. But, no Lebanese.

EDIT: Oh, and there is no entry for "Lebanese Chili" in Wikipedia.

2nd EDIT: There's a Chili's Grill and Bar in West Lebanon, New Hampshire. Is that what you meant?

Never heard of any Lebanese in Toledo.

Seriously? You need to do some more research into your background. Heck, it's even been parodied in sit-coms. Don't you remember MASH? Klinger's whole routine (aside from the cross-dressing) was that he was deeply Lebanese and couldn't wait to get back to Toledo.

My people are from Rocky Mount, North Carolina

Never heard of any Lebanese from North Carolina. I couldn't find a reference in Wikipedia, either, so it must not be true.

EDIT: Oh, and there is no entry for "Lebanese Chili" in Wikipedia.

As stated earlier it's called Cincinnati Chili.

I did find this in Wikipedia, though:

The Arab American Institute claims that the top five states where Lebanese Americans live are Michigan (11%), California (9%), Ohio (6%), Florida (6%), and Massachusetts (5%).[9]

Nope. No North Carolina. Are you sure your relatives aren't from West Lebanon, New Hampshire?

waisis.gif

Funny. I hadn't seen that one before.

And to think I just had some chili with crackers last night. Very good.

Crackers? You can't be serious. If even one cracker touches a bowl of chili, it magically isn't chili anymore. Just ask any Starbucks-sipping, air conditioned SUV-driving, beige house-living, master-planned Texan. He'll set you straight.

Crackers? You can't be serious. If even one cracker touches a bowl of chili, it magically isn't chili anymore. Just ask any Starbucks-sipping, air conditioned SUV-driving, beige house-living, master-planned Texan. He'll set you straight.

That's why I use a spoon to put over the crackers. Those saltine ones.

Example:

0004400000464_L4.jpg

Next time, I'll take a picture. But, I did take a picture of my breakfast this morning:

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=22388.jpg

Seriously? You need to do some more research into your background. Heck, it's even been parodied in sit-coms. Don't you remember MASH? Klinger's whole routine (aside from the cross-dressing) was that he was deeply Lebanese and couldn't wait to get back to Toledo.

Yeah, Jamie Farr is one of the lesbians I was talking about.

Never heard of any Lebanese from North Carolina. I couldn't find a reference in Wikipedia, either, so it must not be true.

We were Lebanese Catholics. The ones in Toledo were probably something else.

As stated earlier it's called Cincinnati Chili.

Well then it isn't Lebanese Chili then. Why are we discussing this?

I did find this in Wikipedia, though:

Nope. No North Carolina. Are you sure your relatives aren't from West Lebanon, New Hampshire?

I don't see Texas on that list, either. We live here now, so of course you wouldn't see North Carolina on there.

Wait! Wait! I found it! There really is Lebanese Chili!

Lebanese Chili

pic9t9Imx.jpg

Yeah, Jamie Farr is one of the lesbians I was talking about.

We were Lebanese Catholics. The ones in Toledo were probably something else.

Well then it isn't Lebanese Chili then. Why are we discussing this?

I don't see Texas on that list, either. We live here now, so of course you wouldn't see North Carolina on there.

Wait! Wait! I found it! There really is Lebanese Chili!

Lebanese Chili

pic9t9Imx.jpg

talk about learning something new every day! Red, I suspected you had some mediterranean blood. It's in the eyes. :ph34r: Hmm, you could have dated an old roommate of mine. She had a thing for christian lebanese men. And lawyers. She was a golddigger, par none.

.... never saw any of her boyfriends making chili in the apt, though.

I did, however, see chili spaghetti on a menu at a restaurant in Lebanon, Tennessee. Hmm.

What is it about chili and barbeque that provoke such passionate opinions? Is it because of the meat?

Vegetarians don't get riled up about tofu recipes. People can abuse it as they please without retaliation.

What is it about chili and barbeque that provoke such passionate opinions? Is it because of the meat?

Vegetarians don't get riled up about tofu recipes. People can abuse it as they please without retaliation.

Oh, man! I know you're talking about Texas BBQ, tex, but the Carolina pork barbeque wars are legendary.

Archived