What the deal with doors?

My fiancee is moving in this weekend. She's semi-feral and I don't want her to wander off trying to find her way back to her old neighborhood, so I was planning on putting her in a cool, small, dark room for the first few weeks. To accomplish that, I need to add a door to an existing door frame.

I assumed that all doors had standard sizes, and further assumed I could go to Home Depot or Lowes and have one installed. Not so. My door hole is 29" wide, about an inch too small for the closest size I can find. What's up with that? Do I have to hire a door maker? Sand an inch off a 30" door? Or do I have to rip the wall out and put in a bigger frame?

So, the question is actually, "What's the deal with your door jambs?"

Didn't you have a thread a few months back about an off-size oven? Maybe this thread should be, "What's the deal with Memebag's house?" :o

Couple of things you can do. You can check out places like Historic Houston or other architectural salvage shops to see if they have any doors that fit your door width. OR, if all other dimensions are OK, and the style of door at Home Depot fits with your other doors, you can just cut an inch off of it. Because interior doors are usually hollow core, make sure there is enough solid wood on the edge to cut one inch off of it. You may want to cut it off of the hinge side as well, so you don't have to recdrill the hole for the doorknob.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. It might actually be EASIER to take out the old door frame and put in a whole new pre-hung door and frame.

Didn't you have a thread a few months back about an off-size oven? Maybe this thread should be, "What's the deal with Memebag's house?" :o

Yeah, I'm starting to think I bought some sort of metric house. Either that, or Westbury was built by hobbits.

Your fiancee is semi-feral? Or maybe she has a cat that's semi-feral? I don't recommend putting your fiancee in a small room for a few weeks... ;)

It's just a gag. She's more domesticated than I am. I was fine without ovens or doors.

My fiancee is moving in this weekend. She's semi-feral and I don't want her to wander off trying to find her way back to her old neighborhood, so I was planning on putting her in a cool, small, dark room for the first few weeks. To accomplish that, I need to add a door to an existing door frame.

You're putting your fiancee in a cool small dark room for a few weeks? Is that legal? LOL

I assumed that all doors had standard sizes, and further assumed I could go to Home Depot or Lowes and have one installed. Not so. My door hole is 29" wide, about an inch too small for the closest size I can find. What's up with that? Do I have to hire a door maker? Sand an inch off a 30" door? Or do I have to rip the wall out and put in a bigger frame?

They do come in standard sizes. Your opening, however, is not one of those!

Is it an exterior door or an interior door? 29" seems really small for an exterior door. A normal front door is 36" or bigger.

29" would be right in the ballpark for a normal interior door (24"-34"), just a weird increment.

Is it an exterior door or an interior door? 29" seems really small for an exterior door. A normal front door is 36" or bigger.

29" would be right in the ballpark for a normal interior door (24"-34"), just a weird increment.

It's an interior door; even I like to have all of my exterior doors on. I think the door way wasn't intended to hold a door. It's just a "way", or a "wall hole".

It's an odd size for a wooden door, but a standard size for a refrigerator. Maybe I can block it with one of those...

I would definitely check out the Historic Houston salvage warehouse.

Heck, I'd go through a few teardowns (in your neighborhood, if there are any), too. Maybe you could find a similar hobbit-built door size :P

I hear it's easier to keep feral fiance's in the house if you tie them up. Letting her roam the room she's bound to find a way through the door you're thinking about putting up. That, or you could put her in there and frame/sheetrock the door closed...that'll slow her down.

I don't recommend 'sanding' off an inch if that's the way you go...cut it down first and then sand for finish. I can't imagine how long it would take to sand off an inch of a solid door.

I don't recommend 'sanding' off an inch if that's the way you go...cut it down first and then sand for finish. I can't imagine how long it would take to sand off an inch of a solid door.

Not long with a belt sander with an aggressive paper on it. I've zapped a half inch off of wood without wanting to with one of those puppies.

Most interior doors are hollow... and only have about an inch of margin at the edges... that's not going to work...

but... you can get a solid core door, interior, and then cut that.

the trick is going to be getting a clean, straight cut. Take a 2x4 (or 1x4 or whatever), measure, and then nail it on the door such that you can use it as a guide for your circular saw... If you just draw a line, even using a square and proper measuring, you're going to end up with an odd cut if you free-hand the cut.

Archived