Allen Parkway Concerts

bmil128

I was thinking about the downtown fireworks shows on the 4th, since we didn't have them that I remember and wondered if this was on Youtube, sure enough it is.

Bonus points awarded if:

* You were here in 1986

* You can define sesquicentennial

* You know who Jean Michel Jarre is

More info here http://www.questbbs.fsnet.co.uk/rvhouston.htm

I was there. I heard Equinoxe in 1979 and became a big Jarre fan. When I heard he was actually coming to Houston it seemed like I'd fallen into an alternate universe. I didn't know anyone else into him. I was really drunk before the show and the Reverend Huey from KPFT walked by, saw my "Big Boys" shirt and handed me this weird pamphlet about the Challenger disaster with a picture of Death on the front called "The Challenger and the Champion".

I was thinking about the downtown fireworks shows on the 4th, since we didn't have them that I remember and wondered if this was on Youtube, sure enough it is.

Bonus points awarded if:

* You were here in 1986

1) I was here

2) I saw the sesquicentennial ( the 150 year period from 1836 to 1986) from my backyard on Burnet Bay in Brownwood and saw the fireworks display over the San Jac Monument.

3) Jean Jarre, is the composer who organized the whole rooftop thing over Houston's Skyline that year.

Edited by TJones

Bonus points awarded if:

* You were here in 1986

My dad took us out there and we watched it from Allen Parkway. Love it as a kid. I think we have fireworks photos of downtown in our albums too, not very clear ones though.

Jean-michel Jarre makes some interesting faces during the performance.

This came up in another thread within the past few months, I think. I was there unintentionally, coming into town from San Marcos. We were supposed to be meeting friends, I think down at Rudyards, because we were trying to exit 10 at Studemont and the shoulder was full of people who had illegaly parked to watch. It was pretty cool. My dad was into Jean Michel Jarre at the time, but Jarre's stuff was too weedly-weedly-wee for my tastes. The whole experience was very cool, although enhanced with lots of the very best pharmaceuticals available.

BTW, kids: just say no.

I remember that event well. I believe it was certified by the Guinness Book of World Records as having the largest attendance ever for an outdoor concert - 1.3 million. Don't know if that's been surpassed since then. The traffic afterwards was probably the worst I've ever seen in Houston until the Rita evacuation - my girlfriend and I had a great vantage point on the lawn in Sam Houston Park, but when it was over it took over an hour and a half to get out of downtown and back to the cozy confines of our rented Montrose bungalow.

I was also there-I was actually close enough to see him playing. I got turned on to 'Oxygene', which is still a pretty good album. I have the LP and VHS of the show(not complete, but the one they were selling).

You guys might also remember that the Fire Dept. nearly canceled the show at the last minute due to some safety issues, and people in the areas that were supposed to be cleared out, but suddenly JMJ and crew could not understand English, and started the show anyway. JMJ also left town owing a bunch of $$ to lots of folks, one was HLP, where I worked at the time.

It was a great event though!!!

• 7 months later...

I was 15 stuck on the freeway with my mom, grandmother, uncle and girlfriend. We had went to Austin and coming home we got blocked on the 45 pretty close to the action. i later dated a girl who sang in the choir that night and she said her and her friends were looking out in the sea of people and they couldn't find one face that wasn't smiling. All the choir were crying as they sang because she said the performance went to something spiritual for them.

Wish they would do something like this again.

I was there. I heard Equinoxe in 1979 and became a big Jarre fan. When I heard he was actually coming to Houston it seemed like I'd fallen into an alternate universe. I didn't know anyone else into him. I was really drunk before the show and the Reverend Huey from KPFT walked by, saw my "Big Boys" shirt and handed me this weird pamphlet about the Challenger disaster with a picture of Death on the front called "The Challenger and the Champion".

Didn't he do a sister show to the one in Houston in Lyon, France? I seem to remember one of the Rendevous albums had a song he performed there.... could be mistaken, that was a long time ago.

I was working for American General at the time and they let us park in the garages and watch from the roof. It was simulcast on some radio station that I think was on loudspeakers on the roof (KRBE?) and immediately afterwards they played "We Built This City". Took my carload about 30 minutes to get out and we went to Photon on Chimney Rock afterwards and played laser tag until 1 AM. This was after we had spent the day at Astroworld. Would that I had half the energy I did in my 20's. :lol:

Oh, and for anyone who noted the earlier mention of the Reverend Huey, he can now be found at www.hellpopehuey.com at the Temple of the Misfired Neuron.

Edited by Native Montrosian

• The title was changed to Allen Parkway Concerts