Sometimes the cheaper stuff is better!

20thStDad

So it's all opinion and no way it applies to everything, but I love it when I find a cheap or generic alternative to something and end up liking it better than the "real" or name brand stuff.

Here are some of my examples:

Kroger brand Chocolate Marshmallow Cosmos cereal is better than Chocolate Lucky Charms, and the box is usually less than 2 bucks. Mind you this is a rare treat for me, my red-meat-eating habits prompt me to make multi grain Cheerios my daily breakfast.

Superbrand (Winn-Dixie store brand) pop tarts were my addictive camping food in high school, and cost half as much as the real thing.

A McDonald's ice cream cone is still my favorite, I usually come away disappointed with fancier Marble Slab or 31 flavors.

Cheap frozen pizza - I used to live off the Totino's ones at 5 for $4 back in the day. Now that I am big enough to eat 3 of those in a sitting I've graduated to the Private Selection Kroger brand ones, which I like better than the way more expensive DiGiorno or Freschetta.

I can't think of any more right now but felt compelled to list a few while I ate my cheap frozen pizza. Feel free to add more so I can have some ideas for saving money to later blow on $6/gal gas.

I can't think of any more right now but felt compelled to list a few while I ate my cheap frozen pizza. Feel free to add more so I can have some ideas for saving money to later blow on $6/gal gas.

I made homemade "pita" pizza last night with marinara, chicken, mozzerella cheese on a pita wedge.

Cheap and healthy without so many crazy chemistry inspired names you might be consuming with the frozen variety.

Generic wise, mostly store brand dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt.

Can't justify the added cost of Borden or Horizon right now.

In my experience, H-E-B brand items are just as good or better than the brand names they mimic.

Also, the Safeway/Randall's brand fat-free chocolate sorbet is TO DIE FOR. It's like cold, chocolate crack. You've been warned. :lol:

I agree in some ways, but NEVER buy food or candy from the Doller Store.

Big Lots is great for herbs and spices as well as some other food items (canned, etc). I like it because their inventory is always changing.

...corn chips...the cheapest ones are always the saltiest, which means best in my book.

Puma I do a lot of homemade/natural things as well, but they aren't alway cheaper. Except for cereal I rarely eat anything out of a box, all fresh veggies and fruits and non-frozen meats.

Speaking of meats, some cuts that I always find cheaper than the more popular ones but can be cooked so they are just as good are better:

Beef: chuck blade steaks - usually $2.99/lb or cheaper. They have one little bit of grisle in the middle, but when properly marinated and cooked are incredibly flavorful and tender

Pork: country style pork ribs. awesomely fatty and tasty.

Lamb: shoulder arm chops. They have some odd bones to navigate but when cooked right are awesomely tender and tasty.

General note: cheaper/better will never apply to liquor.

Great Value, is that the Wal-Mart brand? Their cheese is way better than the name brand cheeses. Cheeses like Borden's and Kraft stink, literally. Makes me gag.

Montrose1100:

A couple of years ago I was at my grandma's house and my cousin opened a box of dollar store cheese crackers that was sitting on the table and went on about how terrible they were. Of course everyone had to try them including me. My other cousin started reading the ingredients and burst into hysterics. I'm not joking, listed in the ingredients was "butt flavor". One of them called the number on the box and they told them that it was a misprint. I don't know about that. Maybe it was meant to say "butter flavor". Funny, nevertheless.

General note: cheaper/better will never apply to liquor.

Actually, we recently found a Polish vodka that's really good, and cheap. (ok so the large comes in plastic, so we buy multiple smalls). Have been on a kick for rye vodkas--a nice flowery/grassy flavor. Specs no longer gets my favorite, but this ultra cheap brand called Sobelieski is very good. $12 a bottle good.

The only corn chips I will put in my chili pie are the Hill Country Fare 99cents kind. Oh, so corny, salty and just a little greasy.

Ok, so maybe not all liquor, but scotch. The good stuff costs money. Laphraoig is sort of an exception, but at $35-ish a bottle it's not exaclty cheap, just cheaper. Vodkas do seem to have more cheap options, but it's been a long time since I bought that.

Notice I said liquor and not beer - I still live the High Life every now and again, Coors original, MGD. Of course PBR, but more for sentimental reasons. One time back in college in BR it went on sale at the Delchamps by my apartment for $2.99 for a 12 pack. We bought all of it, they never sold it again.

I buy a lot of "generic" products when they are identical to the more expensive brand name products. I buy a lot of CVS, Target and Kroger brand products... medicine, paper products, mouth wash, cleaning supplies... I can go on and on. If they says on the generic brand container "compare to 'brand name product'"... that means they are identical and you are just wasting a few bucks if you buy brand name. -_-

I am too lazy to go find a link but someone - Consumer Reports, maybe, or someone who used their data - went out and did a serious compilation of the data and found that generic foods were more likely closer in quality to brand names. However, brand names for non-food items like cleaners and paper goods far and away exceeded generics. The theory was that food safety laws give less room to cut corners with food whereas you can basically make a paper towel as cheap as you care to and sell it for nothing. I thought it was an interesting study and was somewhat counterintuitive to my initial assumptions on the subject.

A lot of the "store brands" ARE the name brands with a different label. You can look at the packaging and see it is the same. I have even compared the ingredients and found the exact same list, right down to the unreadable chemicals. In those situations, the extra you pay for the name brand is simply wasting money, as you are buying the same product, made by the same company.

Not true! Southern Comfort, McCormick, Svedka, Andre Champagne... But only the Brut, the extra dry & blush are nasty!

Oh no you di-undt. McCormick?...the Vodka? Oh hell no! That is fine if you need to strip a piece of furniture but not for drinking! It may be okay for some youngins like yourself, but old folks like me with our delicate systems can't take that crap.

One of my rules. If you can't afford call liquor you can't afford to drink! B)

Oh no you di-undt. McCormick?...the Vodka? Oh hell no! That is fine if you need to strip a piece of furniture but not for drinking! It may be okay for some youngins like yourself, but old folks like me with our delicate systems can't take that crap.

One of my rules. If you can't afford call liquor you can't afford to drink! B)

Haha! I've never gotten a hangover, so It doesn't matter how cheap it can be. I can blackout even and still not have a raging headache in the morning... Although Grey Goose mixes alot better with Red Bull & Energy drinks. But thats only for fancy occasions, like Fridays & Saturdays. But during the week its the cheap stuff!

A lot of generic/store brand food is made on the same production lines as the name brand equivalent. I watched a show about bakeries and they showed a specialty bakery that made cheap Oreo knock-offs, then switched ingredients and started pumping out Newman's Own.

My favorite cheap-is-better products are Montesino cigars. They're real hand rolled cigars, made by the Fuente company in the DR. At the height of the cigar craze they were about $2 each, and after Cigar Aficionado spilled the beans about how good they were, you had to know someone to get a box.

Actually, we recently found a Polish vodka that's really good, and cheap. (ok so the large comes in plastic, so we buy multiple smalls).

Very good, one simply doesn't buy Vodka in a plastic jug. It just isn't.....proper!

hyacinth.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
A lot of the "store brands" ARE the name brands with a different label. You can look at the packaging and see it is the same. I have even compared the ingredients and found the exact same list, right down to the unreadable chemicals. In those situations, the extra you pay for the name brand is simply wasting money, as you are buying the same product, made by the same company.

That's true, but the quality of those ingredients can make a lot of difference. I love store brands, but unfortunately some of them use lower quality ingredients to keep the price down.

That's true, but the quality of those ingredients can make a lot of difference. I love store brands, but unfortunately some of them use lower quality ingredients to keep the price down.

Are you suggesting that there is such a thing as "high quality" mac and cheese? :blink:

Agreed! That stuff is toxic.

I also like Walgreens brand Mediterranean fruit and nut mix (kinda like dates, and walnuts, raisins, etc.). Kroger ketchup is really goo and so are their $1 bags of frozen mixed vegetables, spinach and other vegetable blends.

Are you suggesting that there is such a thing as "high quality" mac and cheese? :blink:

Oh my God, YES. But first you have to make a bechamel sauce from scratch..and there are many more steps that follow. ;) And you can't forget the bread crumbs! But it will be the best mac 'n' cheese that's ever touched your tongue. I swear to God, it's almost better than sex. :lol:

Haha! I've never gotten a hangover, so It doesn't matter how cheap it can be. I can blackout even and still not have a raging headache in the morning...

I drink somewhat frequently but always in moderation, but I've stumbled into two hangovers completely by accident. I was trying to figure out which kind of red wine pairs the best with Wolf Brand chili. Cabs worked nicely; both kinds of Pinot Noir messed me up the next morning.

Although Grey Goose mixes alot better with Red Bull & Energy drinks. But thats only for fancy occasions, like Fridays & Saturdays. But during the week its the cheap stuff!

Be careful with that Red Bull and Vodka mix. Too much can cause an irregular heartbeat and send you to the ER.

Yes, Velveta is disgusting. I do like some of the grainy glow-in-the-dark-neon-orange-colored instant mixes though.

That's positively un-American! :D Good thing you're not running for political office.

Hey, I didn't say I didn't eat it! I've got several boxes in the pantry now. Great with tuna. Even better with stewed tomatoes. But, it is still lowbrow fare. :)

Archived