Lubbock, TX

brijonmang

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Serious question though - are those 5200 acres actually developed, or is there a lot of vacant land? I remember A&M seeming very small compared to Tech's campus. The buildings were closer together, but it really didn't seem all that big to me...

A portion of the campus you probably didn't consider when you visited College Station is the A&M owned airport west of west campus. Some people don't even realize that west campus is there when they first visit.

I did some very rough calculations through GIS to give you an idea:

What most people consider to be A&M is a 2.5x1.0 mile rectangle. Which is Main Campus (approximately 722.64 acres of urban development) and West Campus (approximately 776.63 acres of suburban development). There is also the Vet School area (approximately 723.33 acres of suburban development and some vacant land) So, it's somewhere around 2000 acres that are used.

The airport probably makes up the rest. I'm don't know if riverside campus is included in the calculation (the portion of the campus that is in Bryan), but I'm pretty sure the new Traditions Championship Golf Course is not included since it just opened this year. To give you an idea of development, there are approximately 200 A&M owned buildings on campus with a net worth of over $1 billion.

Property Map:

property%20map.JPG

Campus Maps:

A&M campus map

tech campus map

As I recall, the main A&M campus also includes numerous agricultural fields going toward Snook along Hwy. 60.

I really enjoyed Jones Stadium during the 1995 no advancing of a fumble game, it reminded me of Bryan High's Viking Stadium. (sorry about the size of second pic)

stabhs6.jpg

text-jonessbc7-lg.jpg

The Tech stadium appears small because it is built mostly below ground level for protection from the wind. The stadium has recently had a tremendous portion added to the west side (behind the photographer in the above photo). They have added what looks like an eight or ten story building with a training center and deluxe press boxes. It seems to be modeled after the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas. It is now one of the tallest structures on campus.

Lubbock is actually a wonderful place. Eight months out of the year have wonderful weather with the most beautiful sky you will ever see. Despite what the pictures above show, Lubbock is very green and full of trees and lakes. The residents in Lubbock are among the friendliest you will find, like Houston was 25 years ago. Lubbock models itself after Dallas. Their goal is to be a junior Dallas.

SpaceAge, I have noticed that there many people in Lubbock that are fascinated with the city of Dallas. Many take weekend trips to dallas. Also, I've noticed that at Walmart they sell the Dallas Morning News along with their local paper The Lubbock Avalanche.

Lubbock, Texas aka Dallas West- Located 353.7 miles west of Dallas- Just a bumpy 55 minute ride via SW Airlines

stadium4.jpg

Jones Stadium Addition

stadium3.jpg

Jones Stadium

greenhouse2.jpg

Tech Campus

gatehouseN.jpg

Texas Tech Broadway Gate

sub3.jpg

Texas Tech Student Center Addition

planetarium.jpg

Planetarium

arch.jpg

College of Architecture

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Id say Lubbock would be better off modeling them selves after Fort Worth, Dallas is more than a long shot - its not even/ever going to reach that stage. Maybe Colorado Springs or Albuquerque (sp?) is even more logical.

People in Lubbock dont need to kid themselves thinking that they actually live in a city. Lubbock's more of a large town (like College Station) than a city - which works to its advantage. But last time I was in Lubbock was 5 years ago and alot has happend since then right?

• 2 weeks later...

I went to both UT and Texas Tech. Both are great schools. Both great college towns. My wife also went to Law School at Tech...we found the people to be incredibly friendly, and the weather to be quite nice despite the occasional dust storm that you could encounter a couple days each year in the Spring. I loved the lack of humidity and cooler temps.

Anyhow, Texas Tech has a beautiful campus that has added over a billion dollars in new construction over the past 5 or 6 years. They've done a great job tying everything together aesthetically. As the local geography doesn't give much in terms of added beauty, Tech's master plan calls for some beautiful new architecture along with 2% of each construction budget to be allocated towards landscaping.

Here are some pics:

100_3488.JPG

New Experimental Science Building - Under Construction

DSCN0062.JPG

New Condos & Retail across campus in North Overton Redevelopment

Image024.jpg

Will Rogers & Soapsuds statue

289_1.jpg

Administration Building

Picture9.jpg

English-Philosophy Complex

dade3beb6d1a9078232e51480d11c2af.jpg

Jones SBC Exterior

ad6c9d37332a23a8787c694da9f660ef.jpg

Jones SBC Stadium

4492b4312b170b7c7b1a21f60d8b497b.jpg

University Student Center

text-msc6-lga.jpg

Marsha Sharp Academic Center

Dsc01491.jpg

New Football Training Facility

Here's a link to Texas Tech's Athletics Facilities Site (click on the photos for more hi-res photos):

http://texastech.collegesports.com/facilit...facilities.html

Lubbock's isolation forces them to offer more amenities than similar-sized cities. Lubbock has IMAX theatres, museums, entertainment districts, and is famous for its live music, coining the popular phrase among Austin musicians "Austin via Lubbock". Famous musicians that came from the Lubbock area: Waylon Jennings, Roy Orbison, Natalie Maines, Pat Green, Corey Morrow, Mac Davis, John Denver, and of course, the immortal Buddy Holly.

Course_Image1.jpg

The Rawls Course - Top 10 Collegiate Golf Course by Golf Digest

Image016.jpg

Chemistry Building

Image112.jpg

United Spirit Arena

I just read some of the earlier nasty little comments by our Aggy friends. Why is it the Aggies are so insecure when it comes to Texas Tech?

Is it the fact that Tech has owned Aggy in every sport that matters for the past decade?

Is it the fact that every major Red Raider Athletic team finished nationally ranked in the Top 25? (Football #17, Basketball #16, Women's Basketball #13, Track #1, Baseball, Tennis, etc)?

Is it the fact that even with much less funding, Tech's avg. SAT is closer to A&M's than A&M's is to UT...and gaining fast (all three falling within a 100 pt range).

Is it because A&M's campus is a disjointed fustercluck of an eyesore with uninspiring architecture harkening back to nazi germany and following the standard Aggie philosophy of 'Quantity over Quality'?

Texas Tech is a beautiful school. I had no idea. Great architecture!

Aggies are insecure people, so don't let it bother you. Even their own fight songs are about OTHER schools.

They like to call UT -- TU. I'm sure all Longhorns are gravely offended by the junior high antics.

Archived