Lubbock, TX

brijonmang

Lubbock seems to be often overlooked by most people. It's a fairly large town/city (205,000 or so) with an international airport and a Big 12 university...Sure i may be a little partial given my circumstances but i think Lubbock is a great example of a hardworking American city. Agri-business is the name of the game out here and the people are some of the most friendly you will ever meet...its not El Paso but it is a big town with a small town atmosphere plus the weather is awesome...if any of you are from Lubbock or visit it please tell me what you think of the HUB city

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in Lubbock, too! I had a hard time adapting to the city coming from DFW but I have truly grown to like it. I love Texas Tech and all it has to offer and I am looking forward to my next few years here.

Here is a pic I took not to long ago of Lubbock.

PICT0079.jpg

Lubbock (and the same could be said for the rest of the Panhandle and West Texas) is one of those places that you either really love or really hate. There's not much in between. Personally I don't think I could ever live out there, but I've had friends and relatives who went to Texas Tech and loved the city. A couple have even stayed up there permanently after graduation and are very happy. I will say it's slightly better in my opinion than places like Midland/Odessa and El Paso, but it's still too much dirt and too few trees for my taste. And it's far enough away that when I have flown up there for work it's sometimes hard for me to remember at first that I am still in Texas, given that it's so far from Houston.

Yeah its definitely a love/hate relationship...i dont think i would live here other than to go to school here but its still a great town...and to ssullivan you gotta remember that about half of Texas is plains or mountains/hills etc...thats whats great about it...we've got a little bit of everything

Yeah its definitely a love/hate relationship...i dont think i would live here other than to go to school here but its still a great town...and to ssullivan you gotta remember that about half of Texas is plains or mountains/hills etc...thats whats great about it...we've got a little bit of everything

I realize that. I just prefer the greener side of the state, where most of the people are. And I love mountains and hills, it's just that most of the ones we have in West Texas are a little to dusty and dry for my taste. I prefer my mountains taller, green with aspen and fir trees, and capped with snow. I'm just not really that into desert climates that much; but there are those who think that the more arid side of the state is more beautiful than the greener side. To each his own.

I realize that. I just prefer the greener side of the state, where most of the people are. And I love mountains and hills, it's just that most of the ones we have in West Texas are a little to dusty and dry for my taste. I prefer my mountains taller, green with aspen and fir trees, and capped with snow. I'm just not really that into desert climates that much; but there are those who think that the more arid side of the state is more beautiful than the greener side. To each his own.

Touch

Actually someone living out there, if you could get some pictures of all the new development along University that would be awesome. I'm in Dallas and only get there once a year for a game. But man the last time I was there I was floored at what McDougal properites is doing between Texas Tech and downtown in the Overton area. Looks like they are recreating uptown Dallas in Lubbock.

As an Aggie, I will add my two cents. I have only been to Lubbock once and that was connection on a Southwest airlines flight in Lubbock "International"? I have never flown into an airport where i could not see the town we were landing in. I swear it looked like a dirt field.

As far as the university goes, I am sure it is fine. I don't know if I would rank it in the top tier schools in our state.

No offense, perhaps I bitter to losing to the Red Raiders too many times in the last few years.

Yeah...comin in to Lubbock "International" is like landing in a field of cotton and depending on which way you come in and the side of the plane your on determines if you can see downtown or not...however, on continental flights going back to Houston, you often fly right over the university which is a pretty cool sight

ok here goes... yes i know I was quick!

new development in lubbock

PICT00101.jpg

I spoke to a lady about this building and she said there are 2 exact same ones... one in Dallas and the other in Irving.

PICT00181.jpg

the rest are just random

PICT00141.jpg

PICT00191.jpg

PICT00201.jpg

PICT00211.jpg

PICT00221.jpg

PICT00271.jpg

PICT00291.jpg

PICT00331.jpg

I loved Lubbock when I was there. Tech was a blast. I had a lot of friends that went to UT and A&M, but neither of those schools even appealed to me. I went to both Austin and BCS when at Tech for football games. I may be crazy, but I liked Lubbock better than either one. I like Austin, but Austin has gotten big enough that it no longer feels like a college town. BCS was so small that it seemed boring to me. I mean, A&M rags on Lubbock and BCS is nothing but Texas A&M basically. Lubbock has a lot of the amenities that DFW has - just in tiny portions by comparison. You have to have a sense of humor about things when you move to Lubbock from DFW or Houston, or any big city really. We always laughed at Lubbock "International" Airport - all 6 gates of it. (there may be more now) I was at Tech during the first Gulf War and I took a girlfriend to the airport for her to fly back to Dallas. About 2 miles from the airport the National Guard stopped us to inspect our car to make sure we weren't some sort of terrorist. (You know those Suicide Car Bomber always have a fraternity sticker on their back windshield!!!) Anyway, being a complete smart a** college kid... I popped off to him when he asked "What airline are you flying". Well, there were like 4 at most flying to Lubbock at the time... American, Southwest, Contenental, and Delta. So, I told him we were flying "Quantas" since it is an "international" airport, right? Well, that comment ended up getting me frisked and my car searched by a bomb dog. It was a pretty funny ordeal. We laughed all the way to the airport after that. I mean, like Al Quiada is going to attack Lubbock or something.

Anyway, I loved my time at Tech... The school is great - and great big. Did y'all know that Texas Tech is the world's largest University campus? And, the people in Lubbock are the nicest people you will ever meet. The weather out there is crazy. My first week in Lubbock I was on the phone with my parents when one of those famous West Texas dust storms hit. I'd never seen one before and didn't know what was going on. I remember telling my dad "Oh my gosh, downtown Lubbock just disappeared into a giant red cloud that is moving this way..." The next day on the news I learned that 2 men who had been working on a billboard sign had been blown off the sign and into power lines when the winds from that dust storm hit them. They were killed. I also went tornado chasing one time with my girlfriend at the time. I mean, the tornado was just out there in a field like it was no big deal. I was amazed at how casual everyone in Lubbock is when Tornadoes are reported just outside of town... They're practically a daily occurance in the Spring. My roommates and I lived outside the loop on the edge of a giant cotton field and from our roof you could see forever and we kept "tonado beer" in our fridge and whenever we saw the "tornado icon" in the corner of the TV screen (they don't interupt TV programming unless the twister is inside the city) we would grab the beer and get on the roof to watch the twisters outside of town. It was amazing. But, I don't recommend tornado chasing... the hail damage to my car was a bit difficult to explain to my parents. ;)

Another fond memory of Tech campus is the little prairie dogs that used to live on campus. The blend in with the brown grass in the winter and they'll chase you if you walk too close to their hole/den. Oh, and west Texas tumbleweeds! Those are all cute in the Roadrunner cartoons, but most people don't realize that they're covered with thorns and will tear you up if they roll into you. I was also amazed at how big they get... My roomie and I had one as a Christmas Tree one year.

Ahhh... the memories. I was shocked the last time I was in Lubbock at how much it has changed since I left in 1992. It's great to see the school thriving and growing the way it is.

Did y'all know that Texas Tech is the world's largest University campus?

"The campus [Texas Tech] is the second largest university campus in the U.S., situated on 1,839 acres"

Source

"The main campus [Texas A&M University] is situated on 5,200 acres in College Station and it is the largest in the nation."

Source

Ags win.

congratulations on the ags finally winning something...

:rolleyes: Thanks. Here's some other things you can congratulate us on.

Most recent A&M vs. tech:

-Football:

--Advantage Texas A&M: A&M 32 - tech 25 :D

-Basketball:

--Advantage Texas A&M: A&M 85 - tech 63 :D

-U.S. News and World Report Rankings:

--Advantage Texas A&M :D

The most recent scores are all that matter B)

The campus [Texas Tech]is the second largest university campus in the U.S., situated on 1,839 acres"

Source

"The main campus [Texas A&M University] is situated on 5,200 acres in College Station and it is the largest in the nation."

Source

Game. Set. Match.

Game. Set. Match.

I stand corrected. I'd heard - apparently from an incorrect source - that Tech had passed the Air Force Academy for the title and that our championship golf course was what pushed us past their prior record, which was set when they opened a new runway at the academy.

I wasn't aware that eAtMe's 3000 acre off campus female dining hall (aka grazing pasture) was included in their main campus count. Anyway, congrats on being bigger. I still wouldn't want to go to A&M. Cults aren't my thing. LOL... Just kidding. I know it's a great school and there are great people there. I just personally didn't want to go to A&M or UT, even though I was accepted to both.

Serious question though - are those 5200 acres actually developed, or is there a lot of vacant land? I remember A&M seeming very small compared to Tech's campus. The buildings were closer together, but it really didn't seem all that big to me...

Archived