Buying in bulk goes the way of $2 gas

ricco67

Shopping habits changed?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Buying bulk?

• I always buy bulk and I always will.
    • I had always purchased bulk, but not as much.
    • I occasionally buy bulk of certain items.
    • I rarely buy bulk and buy small items frequently.
    • I buy items as I need them.
    • I would buy bulk if I had room.
    • I see advantages of bulk purchases, but not for me.
    • I don't see why people buy bulk.

I found this article quite fascinating and am curious as to how it is affecting people in general. There has been an increase of this type of purchases for the past year that I've seen.

While I have never fallen into the practice of buying in bulk, I always found it interesting that other people that do because I found it illogical.

As far as my personal purchases go:

I purchase items as I need them, especially food unless I am in the mood for cooking. I have a tendency to forget about food at home and simply don't want it to go to waste. Waste drives me a little crazy.

I buy non-perishables in bulk when the unit price is lower. It doesn't make sense to make two trips and pay more for smaller quantities, and I've got lots of storage space. I buy 2 or 3 at a time of non-perishable items that don't have a bulk discount (like shampoo and soap) just to reduce trips to the store.

I never buy food in bulk. I wish they sold bread by the slice; I rarely finish a loaf before it spoils.

I don't really understand the article. Is it about people not wasting as much food anymore, or about people who think paying more for smaller quantities will somehow save them money?

The answer was in the article. Pschologically, when money is tight, people try to spend less, even if buying smaller packages cost more in the long run.

As for myself, I rarely buy in bulk for two reasons. One, perishables go bad if you buy more than you can eat. Two, buying in bulk tends to cause me to consume more. I am trying to force myself to buy some non-perishables like toilet paper in bulk, but for a single guy, anything more than about 12 rolls is a lifetime supply.

Note to meme: Store your bread in the fridge. I can get it to last for weeks that way.

I am trying to force myself to buy some non-perishables like toilet paper in bulk, but for a single guy, anything more than about 12 rolls is a lifetime supply.

i buy tp and paper towels in bulk because i hate going shopping for those.

Note to meme: Store your bread in the fridge. I can get it to last for weeks that way.

i have to do this too. just don't eat it quickly enough.

Edited by musicman

Ewww, cold bread. I have another solution for the single guy/bread problem lined up: I'm getting married.

i buy tp and paper towels in bulk because i hate going shopping for those.

I buy toilet paper in bulk because I love walking through the grocery store and parking lot carrying the largest possible bundle of toilet paper. If I have to stand in line, I'll eye the toilet paper lustfully while scratching my ass, as if I'm aching to foul all 48 super sized rolls right there. And possibly that Charmin bear.

Once my youngest gets out of diapers I think I'll let my Sam's membership expire. Other than wipes and diapers, buying in bulk is a waste for my family.

I'll bet that if people added up the bulk savings and subtracted the bulk waste and the annual membership, a lot of people would find the savings over shopping at a regular WalMart to be little or none. Sam's Club is useful for small businesses and some large families, not so much for the average family.

Since it's only two of us in our household (well, 5 if you count the 3 dogs) it is difficult to buy in bulk. Some things, like vegetables and fruit don't keep well. Also, I find sometimes it's more expensive to buy that way because you have to buy so much.

I tend to buy household items in bulk from Sam's. As far as food items, I like to be well stocked on non-perishables. I look for specials for meat in the weekly flyers. I buy the family packs of meat at a lower price. When I get home, I seperate into smaller portions and freeze.

Bread last longer in the fridge, but it drys out. It makes excellent bread for toasting, though.

I tend to buy household items in bulk from Sam's. As far as food items, I like to be well stocked on non-perishables. I look for specials for meat in the weekly flyers. I buy the family packs of meat at a lower price. When I get home, I seperate into smaller portions and freeze.

Bread last longer in the fridge, but it drys out. It makes excellent bread for toasting, though.

I've mostly given up my carnivorous ways AND bread (lingering trait from my days of Atkins).