I need help with a wall oven

I hate built-ins. My 1965 house has a built in wall oven that failed a while back. I was OK with using a toaster oven, but my fiancee will be moving in soon and I want her to bake large objects for me. The pre-heat (top element) works, but the bake (bottom element) doesn't get hot. At first I thought I would replace it, but every new wall oven I've seen is much taller than mine (23.75" wide, 25" tall, inner depth about 20"). I've found several new ovens with the same width, but they are usually 29" tall. There's no good way to alter the brick around this beast to accomodate a taller oven.

1. Where's a good place to get this thing fixed?

2. Is there a good place to find a replacement? It's a really ugly oven (this is coming from someone who appreciates good ugly).

Thanks.

2. Is there a good place to find a replacement? It's a really ugly oven (this is coming from someone who appreciates good ugly).

Thanks.

i have a feeling the parts wouldn't be available for something older. my parents oven was from the 80's and there weren't parts available.

try a place that specializes in appliances. (proven products or something like that). you may not have as many options as you'd like but i'm sure they'd have something that would work. my parents had similar problems when they replaced their oven but ended up finding one at proven products. if there are holes remaining, the ones i've seen usually put in a panel/grill of stainless (or something similar) to cover the hole.

i have a feeling the parts wouldn't be available for something older. my parents oven was from the 80's and there weren't parts available.

try a place that specializes in appliances. (proven products or something like that). you may not have as many options as you'd like but i'm sure they'd have something that would work. my parents had similar problems when they replaced their oven but ended up finding one at proven products. if there are holes remaining, the ones i've seen usually put in a panel/grill of stainless (or something similar) to cover the hole.

Is "Proven Products" the place on 9441 Almeda Genoa? Their web site just shows new ovens.

Also, a hole with a panel covering it would be great. My problem is that all of the new ovens are taller than my current wall hole.

Is "Proven Products" the place on 9441 Almeda Genoa? Their web site just shows new ovens.

Also, a hole with a panel covering it would be great. My problem is that all of the new ovens are taller than my current wall hole.

yep on almeda genoa. like i said, with the older ovens it is hard to find parts. you may luck out but the manufacturer didn't sell thermostats for a 25 yr old oven.

you might have to do the single unit/microwave combo instead. they'll get out the catalogs and see what your options are.

Have you tried searching online for parts? You might be surprised what's available. www.repairclinic.com seems to have a pretty comprehensive inventory of parts.

Failing that, I've heard that there's a place on Almeda called Macy's Classic Stove Works that has parts and will do repairs on old stoves.

Failing that, I've heard that there's a place on Almeda called Macy's Classic Stove Works that has parts and will do repairs on old stoves.

Sadly, Macy's Classic Stove Works is no longer open. (I heard that the owner retired.) They used to do gorgeous jobs restoring old Chambers stoves.

Sadly, Macy's Classic Stove Works is no longer open. (I heard that the owner retired.) They used to do gorgeous jobs restoring old Chambers stoves.

Aww. That's too bad. Guess that's why their web domains are now occupied by domain squatters. I heard the owner died and left the company to her employees. *shrug*

Meme, there has to be somebody out there with enough skill to be able to remodel the space for a new oven to fit. May cost more than you were counting on, but can you really put a price on having your spouse NOT cooking a Thanksgiving Turkey in the toaster oven ? :huh:^_^:lol:

Macy's was open a while back, but had moved to, I think, the 1500 block of Isabella, and were called Texas Stove works, or somehting similar. There's a sign up at the old location on Almeda with the details.

We had our Chambers redone at Macy's in 1995, and it's still a beautiful appliance. It was original to the house, and had 40 years of grease and grie on it, but cleaned up really well. There are a couple of limitations. You can't cook a 20 pound turkey in it. The light bulbs ar eno longer available. It weighs a ton.

• 3 weeks later...
Make the "hole" a "cabinet" and put a floor unit in somewhere...

... only there isn't really a good place for a floor unit.

Any recommendations for a good contractor to tear me a new oven hole? And any ballpark on reasonable prices?

• 3 weeks later...
... only there isn't really a good place for a floor unit.

Any recommendations for a good contractor to tear me a new oven hole? And any ballpark on reasonable prices?

We replaced a single oven with a double oven in a river rock wall. We used a construction company for the work - I can't say I was thrilled with everything they did for us, but they did a very nice job cutting the wall and fitting the ovens in. Try RA Briggs & Co. Construction. They charged us a total of $1060 BUT they had to cut around the river rock and refit the pieces together like a puzzle AND build a new inside wall support for the new oven. It took 2 guys 3 days for this work.

But If you just increase the size of the opening, have them go up from the existing inside framing and it will be cheaper. Plus they can probably just cut right through the brick rather than piecing brick back together so it will be much easier and faster. Make sure they do not grout the oven in so that you can not remove it in the future for repairs, etc. I would guess your job would be less than half the work ours was.

Good Luck!

We replaced a single oven with a double oven in a river rock wall. We used a construction company for the work - I can't say I was thrilled with everything they did for us, but they did a very nice job cutting the wall and fitting the ovens in. Try RA Briggs & Co. Construction. They charged us a total of $1060 BUT they had to cut around the river rock and refit the pieces together like a puzzle AND build a new inside wall support for the new oven. It took 2 guys 3 days for this work.

But If you just increase the size of the opening, have them go up from the existing inside framing and it will be cheaper. Plus they can probably just cut right through the brick rather than piecing brick back together so it will be much easier and faster. Make sure they do not grout the oven in so that you can not remove it in the future for repairs, etc. I would guess your job would be less than half the work ours was.

Good Luck!

Thanks, and welcome to The HAIF!

What do you mean by "go up from the existing inside framing"?

Thanks, and welcome to The HAIF!

What do you mean by "go up from the existing inside framing"?

Sorry that was unclear - see if the contractor can expand the opening in such a way that you do not need to rebuild the internal framing that holds the current oven in place, then you can just reuse the frame that is already there. Cut the brick at the top of the existing opening to expand the hole then the shelf or framing that supports the weight of the oven inside the wall will not have to be moved or replaced.

Thanks for the welcome - I've been a voyeur for a while. Thought it was time to participate!

• 4 months later...

The saga is complete. The Once and Future Mrs. Bag has cooked me a fantastic gingerbread in our new oven, in our new oven hole. I have eaten 1/8th of it and am prepared to give thanks.

The folks at Brick Restoration (recommended by Flipper on The HAIF) did a fantastic job that involved making the hole bigger in 2 dimensions, bricking over the old trash compactor hole under the oven, building a cinder block platform for the oven to sit on, replacing the iron lentil, and all kinds of mean and nasty things.

I gots gingerbread and I love The HAIF.

post-4790-1227405040_thumb.jpgpost-4790-1227405887_thumb.jpg

The saga is complete. The Once and Future Mrs. Bag has cooked me a fantastic gingerbread in our new oven, in our new oven hole. I have eaten 1/8th of it and am prepared to give thanks.

The folks at Brick Restoration (recommended by Flipper on The HAIF) did a fantastic job that involved making the hole bigger in 2 dimensions, bricking over the old trash compactor hole under the oven, building a cinder block platform for the oven to sit on, replacing the iron lentil, and all kinds of mean and nasty things.

I gots gingerbread and I love The HAIF.

post-4790-1227405040_thumb.jpgpost-4790-1227405887_thumb.jpg

I take great joy in pointing out that the contracter likely used concrete block, as opposed to cinder blocks made from cinders. And, even though this was a remodel of your kitchen, the contracter likely replaced a lintle, though he may have then gone home to prepare a bowl of lentil soup.

;)

I take great joy in pointing out that the contracter likely used concrete block, as opposed to cinder blocks made from cinders. And, even though this was a remodel of your kitchen, the contracter likely replaced a lintle, though he may have then gone home to prepare a bowl of lentil soup.

;)

Yeah, yeah. I gots gingerbread. It tastes like love.

Archived