The Roger Clemens Implosion

RedScare

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he would've still gotten into the Hall of fame. I believe he deserves to get in, though i would drop him down a tier...not in the same class as Nolan Ryan or Sandy Koufax, Steve Carlton, or Randy Johnson.

There is no tier. You are either in or out. But, really, who cares? If a bunch of sportswriters vote him in, am I no longer allowed to consider him a steroid using, skirt chasing turd? Of course not. I suppose for those who make a living writing about these things, or those who need someone else to tell them who is worthy of praise, the Hall of Fame may mean something, but the reality is, you will never be able to utter Roger Clemens' name in my presence again without causing me to break out laughing. I mean, really, you can't make this stuff up! He paid all this money to salvage his reputation, and look where he sits today, a mere 140 days later...he is a laughing stock being investigated by the FBI. Can you screw it up any worse than that?

Dunno, I personally just find the outrage hard to believe.

Note that nowhere have I stated that I am "outraged". I am not even upset. I am amused. Neither athletes nor politicians that chase the opposite sex (or even the same sex) outrage me. I do, however, thoroughly enjoy watching the hypocritical getting their comeuppance. So, whether it be Larry Craig or Eliot Spitzer or David Vitter or Roger Clemens, if you're gonna live in that glass house....well, you know how it goes.

Note that nowhere have I stated that I am "outraged". I am not even upset. I am amused. Neither athletes nor politicians that chase the opposite sex (or even the same sex) outrage me. I do, however, thoroughly enjoy watching the hypocritical getting their comeuppance. So, whether it be Larry Craig or Eliot Spitzer or David Vitter or Roger Clemens, if you're gonna live in that glass house....well, you know how it goes.

Well said Red, couldn't have said it better.

Sometimes I don't know who to laugh at harder, the (athlete, politician, actor, etc.) that thinks they're above everything and should get a free pass, and end up sniveling like a baby, when they get caught in the lies they tried to cover it up with. Or the idiots that put these people up on a pedestal, and expect them to be perfect. It's a two edge sword, parents if you are looking for a role model, try looking in the mirror.

There is no tier. You are either in or out. But, really, who cares? If a bunch of sportswriters vote him in, am I no longer allowed to consider him a steroid using, skirt chasing turd? Of course not. I suppose for those who make a living writing about these things, or those who need someone else to tell them who is worthy of praise, the Hall of Fame may mean something, but the reality is, you will never be able to utter Roger Clemens' name in my presence again without causing me to break out laughing. I mean, really, you can't make this stuff up! He paid all this money to salvage his reputation, and look where he sits today, a mere 140 days later...he is a laughing stock being investigated by the FBI. Can you screw it up any worse than that?

There is no tier, but if he gets in, i consider his accomplishments to be a bit tainted. Thus, he would be below the guys i mentioned or even a few others that haven't come to mind. I do think the mention of Roger from now on comes with some asterisk.

Im not sure how I've managed it, but despite the fact that the greatest pitcher and greatest hitter of my generation are cheating, egomaniacal frauds, I still love the game. I'm in the minority, I think. I know a number of folks who have turned their backs on baseball for good.

There is no tier. You are either in or out.

Technically yes, but some doofus sportswriters do see a sort of tier system based on your ballot percentage. Remember the doofus who said he didn't vote for Nolan Ryan because he didn't think Ryan deserved a higher percentage than Tom Seaver?

Im not sure how I've managed it, but despite the fact that the greatest pitcher and greatest hitter of my generation are cheating, egomaniacal frauds, I still love the game. I'm in the minority, I think. I know a number of folks who have turned their backs on baseball for good.

I never fell out of love with watching Barry Bonds hit.

I just feel really sorry for his children. His youngest two are at my sons' school. Fortunately the school is really trying to make it as easy for them, socially, as possible.

However when Roger shows up at events, the kid's are the first to go up and question about the drugs. Now we got this....

There's a group of men out there, that like'm young (relative to a man's age), real young. It happens (the fact that she was 15 is not a bigger shocker to me).

True, and these men sometimes even make up a whole religion (or cling to an old one) just so they can keep getting a fresh piece every few years! Maybe Roger should move to Eldorado?

I agree with a lot of these points. The fact that idiot sportswriters vote on the hall of fame in the first places takes away some credibility. I mean, to not vote for someone on first ballot just so they don't ever have someone get 100% on the first ballot is stupid. It just proves they don't vote on who should get in.

I have never stopped loving baseball and never will. There is no more cheating in baseball than in any of the other sports, don't delude yourselves. The NFL will always be the pinnacle of finding the next undetectable drug that gives you the edge. That stuff just trickles down into baseball afterwards. And I even agree with lockmat - when Barry was roided up, and we all knew it, it was still damn impressive to see him destroy a ball. The ratio of good pitches he saw to balls he hit well was astounding. I could care less if he wants to shorten his own life. I have no teenage kids, much less who play sports (4 month old only), but if I did I would worry about the impressions it gave them on what they should be doing with their bodies. But if it's just me watching the game, don't care.

Archived