Institute Place Residential Subdivision

TheNiche

Notice the platted grid shown in the middle of 5, 6, 9, and 10? The HCAD plat maps say that it is a subdivision called Institute Place. Aerial photos show several houses right up near the still-active Columbia Tap tracks; the owners apparently really really like palm trees. The houses look like they were built around the 1950's or 60's. But most of the platted street grid doesn't exist and the forest that once covered the platted area was scraped early last year.

I've seen the acreage advertised in real estate marketing materials as something vague which is "Coming Soon!" but don't know anything else about the history or future of Institute Place. Anybody else out there have information?

http://www.hcad.org/iMaps/Pages/5354B.gif

• Like 1

I guess I can easily answer my own question...looking at the maps (5354B8), some of the property east of Peerless is platted as Institute Place - Gladitch.

I'm also interested in the history of Institute Place, which obviously predates construction of SH 288 (or at least SH 288 in its current alignment).

By the way, anyone know anything about the "Fountains at Peerless"? It's an extremely odd-looking subdivision off of Peerless. There is no actual improvement on the site right now (it's vacant land just north of A-Rocket Moving & Storage). I remember seeing the Variance Notice on the site over the last year or two (or three?), so it's a recent subdivision. The plat, per HCAD, is one cul-de-sac, surrounded by 47 lots. However, not all the lots have access to the cul-de-sac! They are stacked three deep on each side of the cul-de-sac. The lots are typically on the order of 30'x50', so they're obviously some kind of dense development, but how do you build on lots with no access to the road? I don't know how townhome developments are typically set up...would there be interior private driveways set on these lot lines?

http://www.hcad.org/iMaps/Tiles/Color/5354B8.pdf

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's
  • Like 1

These are all labelled as Institute Place (the first matching your description the best):

http://books.tax.hctx.net/v021/AE1997_21-22_0155.jpg

I should have actually looked at sevfiv's links.

The first one that sevfiv listed includes that part of Institute Place that I was describing. That map is part of Panels 8 and 12 from Niche's post above.

From my reading of sevfiv's map, Institute Place predates South Union (aka "South End Sunnyside South Union Extension" per the map). It appears that South Union was platted out of Institute Place.

For reference, part of the property just south of the intersection of Peerless and Corder, shown as Institute Place Tracts 19 and 20, is now platted as South Union Section One...where I reside. I don't think Tracts 19 and 20 exactly match the boundaries of South Union Section One, but that's the vicinity.

We are all now that much smarter. :wacko:

• Like 1

From my reading of sevfiv's map, Institute Place predates South Union (aka "South End Sunnyside South Union Extension" per the map). It appears that South Union was platted out of Institute Place.

I'm confused, I thought Sunnyside was located near the Villa De Matel, off Wayside & Lawndale?

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

SunnySIDE is one of the oldest nabes in Houston. Often forgotten (or ignored) by city official's to revitalize. One great thing I love about it is most of the residents have been there for over 50-60 years. Most of the homes appear to have been built in 1940's maybe.

If you recall where old King Center Drive-In Theater was by 610 it is the nabe across that frwy. or east of where the old Levitz Furniture Showroom used to be on 610 near MLK?

I was hoping other present or past residents would start posting on Haif but to no avail. Its a very low income area so I am quite sure it is unimaginable or almost unrealstic to own a computer. There is probably a civic group that discusses thier own issues just as others in the city. I bet there are great old stories to tell of that area in its early years. :D

• Like 1

I'm confused, I thought Sunnyside was located near the Villa De Matel, off Wayside & Lawndale?

You're thinking of Sunnylan(d).

Vert was describing the northern periphery of Sunnyside, which is effectively at the South Loop. Incidentally, the King Center was recently demolished. Good thing, too...that place featured a rooftop garden--the accidental kind...really low occupancy...lowest retail rents in the city.

EDIT: I messed it up too. Thanks Vert, for the correction.

Edited by TheNiche

Vert was describing the northern periphery of SunnySIDE, which is effectively at the South Loop. Incidentally, the King Center was recently demolished. Good thing, too...that place featured a rooftop garden--the accidental kind...really low occupancy...lowest retail rents in the city.

I never knew there was a King Center shopping center? I was speaking of the King Center Drive-In movie theater torn down around 1979. I am almost certain there is a Burger King there now. We were kiddies when we went there to see Blacula circa 1972-ish. It was Palm Center mall that drew people to this immediate area then. Well sort of close to here anyway further north.

It is very rare that we hear of anything coming from Sunnyside area. Its just a little old nabe. When you drive down 610 you can see just about the whole nabe from the frwy in one nice little package.

• Like 1

It is very rare that we hear of anything coming from Sunnyside area. Its just a little old nabe. When you drive down 610 you can see just about the whole nabe from the frwy in one nice little package.

The apartment complexes and run-down homes off of the South Loop pale in comparison to the horrors of the crap that's deeper in that neighborhood. I've never been really fearful for my physical well-being when out in the field except when documenting some of the housing in that area. It was bad.

Vert was describing the northern periphery of Sunnyside, which is effectively at the South Loop. Incidentally, the King Center was recently demolished. Good thing, too...that place featured a rooftop garden--the accidental kind...really low occupancy...lowest retail rents in the city.

EDIT: I messed it up too. Thanks Vert, for the correction.

Thanks guys for the info., my family (w/G-mthr,Grt-Grndmthr) used to go to a Kip's Big Boy, somewhere around there, when I was little. I think it was by Palms Center.

Also noticed the King Center was torn down recently, remember when the drive-in was around there. Stood longer than most.

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

• 14 years later...

Here's a residential community ad for Institute Place dated March 22, 1928.

Will You Share in Houston's Future 

Institute Place

Full Size City Lots as low as $275.00
Drive out South Main to Blodgett, east to Almeda and directly south to property.  Or you may drive through Hermann Park to Almeda. 

L. Sacks Sales Organization
Exclusive Selling Agents for
O.W. Hinds & Company, Realtors
1427 Post-Dispatch Building
Preston 2167

2xi2C3F.png

• The title was changed to Institute Place Residential Subdivision