Twin W Motel At 11413 Gulf Fwy.

Until about five years ago, there was an old Motor Court along the east side of the Gulf Freeway near Fuqua (I think...) They were rows of tiny cabins/houses. The Motor Court was still open until sometime in the 90ies, then it was still standing while the property was up for sale for years. I thought about calling the realtor so I could really look at them, but that never happened. They've been razed or moved. Does anyone know what they were called & what happened to them?

Until about five years ago, there was an old Motor Court along the east side of the Gulf Freeway near Fuqua (I think...) They were rows of tiny cabins/houses. The Motor Court was still open until sometime in the 90ies, then it was still standing while the property was up for sale for years. I thought about calling the realtor so I could really look at them, but that never happened. They've been razed or moved. Does anyone know what they were called & what happened to them?

sorry...they were razed maybe 3 years ago.

doesn't look like anyone has purchased the land though.

the name escapes me for some reason...a "W" comes to mind.

edit: they were just north of almeda-genoa.

I remember those, always said to myself "Take a picture" they won't be there much longer...didn't,what a regret. They had a really nice sign, can't recall the name, either. They were very similar to the one's found on Telephone, Plum creek, Tel-wink area. Blue Top? the name of the latter.

Were these on the north side of the freeway? The cottages were white with green trim, very '30s in appearance. I seem to remember the sign was shaped like a person, and it was painted an orange/red color. The name escapes me as well. I want to say it had the word "travel" in it...

from this site:

http://hotels-texas-ne.globalhotelindex.co..._2100254ne.html

The Twin W Motel in Houston, Texas situated 11413 Gulf Fwy can be contacted by phone +1713 9469940. Here it is unfortunately not yet possible to book online. This accommodation Twin W Motel would be glad to welcome you soon. The correct data depends on the update of the information through the management and cannot be guaranteed.

Were these on the north side of the freeway? The cottages were white with green trim, very '30s in appearance. I seem to remember the sign was shaped like a person, and it was painted an orange/red color. The name escapes me as well. I want to say it had the word "travel" in it...

I think the neon sign had a bellboy with cap carrying luggage? That place was there for a very long time. It became like a "Bluetop" or cheap, kind of joint. It was a shamed that the little cottage's couldn't have been bought $ and relocated. I surely could have fit 2 on my property. Placed on raised pilings and added a flight of wide stairs in front of the two.

While it was being torn down you could see the inside of some of the cottages complete with all the fixtures, sinks, etc they were awesome! I just love that dated look.

I always imagine it like a scene from "It Happened One Night" with C Gable & Colbert standing in front. :P

• The title was changed to Twin W Motel At 11413 Gulf Freeway
  • The title was changed to Twin W Motel At 11413 Gulf Fwy.

Archived