Does anyone know whether the papers of Joseph Finger have been preserved, and where they might be found?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, there seems to be little record of anything by Finger - as far as I know, no holdings at any repository in Houston or Austin (and coming up with nothing beyond that, too).

• Like 1

A little update - searching through TARO, there are a couple random items in the Alfred C. Finn papers at the Texas Room, and also the Atlanta Terra Cotta Company records at the Alexander Archives at UT Austin.

Not much to go on, but maybe all there is...

Finger collaborated with George Rustay for much of his career, so he may be another option...

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I am also surprised at how hard it is to find a list of Joseph Finger's complete works.

The Univ. of Texas collections had no mention of him (that I saw) in their Jewish Texans extensive lists. I did find thesis info.in the Texas Room list, on moderne Houston, may contain J. Finger info. Also, Rice Univ. Fondren Library does have one item, a brochure w/ pictures, bibliography in the Handbook of Texas On-Line link may be the best reference,

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/...s/FF/ffi37.html.

mention of J. Finger here & Riverside homes : http://www.historichouston.org/newSite/lan...lazaHistory.htm

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Joseph Finger
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/7/2023 at 9:38 AM, Highrise Tower said:

I think I just found Joseph Finger's office! 

December 17, 1922.

Experience architect-draftsman wanted at once.  Joseph Finger, 317 Woolworth.

ZRIvYw7.png

In 1923, Finger's office is shown as 711 Keystone Building

image.png.5c792a7514702c20b7dbe43d21d7a73f.png

Keystone Building is 1116-20 Texas Avenue

image.png.9de616b1df6d64d53b7321342a3802a9.png

The building still exists and is lofts. It was designed by Finger, so not surprising his office was there in 1923. Here's a site with some information on the building https://www.downtownhouston.org/guidedetail/residential/keystone-lofts/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone on the internet eluded to the fact there is only a handful of pictures of Joseph Finger. I wonder if he didn't like his picture taken? Or maybe it's simply a rumor.

Groundbreaking for the Auditorium Hotel
March 1, 1926

Oscar Holcombe
Mayor

Michele DeGeorge
Owner & Real Estate Developer

Dupree Fountain
Hotel Manager: 1925 - 1931

Joseph Finger
Architect
DeGeorge Hotel: 1913
Auditorium Hotel: 1926

FTKoCka.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting! There was once talks about Joseph Finger hiring a partner to form the company "Green & Finger".  I believe it was only a rumor, or the deal didn't work out in the end.

From the newspaper The Houston Post. dated December 18, 1913.

Communications of General Interest
Statement by L.S. Green.

To The Post.

I write to ask you kindly correct the statement made in Sunday morning's Post of December 12 under the head of news of the city: “The firm of Green & Finger by mutual consent dissolved partnership on December 6. Mr. Finger will continue the Houston office. Beg to advise that Mr. Finger will have no connection with the Houston Office.

L.S. Green.
Galveston, Texas.

(Editor's Note.- The item complained of by L.S. Green was furnished The Post by Joseph Finger, known to us to have been a member of the firm of Green & Finger. It was published in good faith.)

TQDUSQ3.jpg