Haif Has Slowed Down?

tierwestah

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, how about JELL-O* instead of Mud ? I am sure Sevfiv is in on that also, and Ricco, put your thong BACK in the drawer, you cannot participate in the melee`.

on second thought, she's from the Valley. She'd probably kick my ass. The have her grandkids jump me in the parking lot.

I like HAIF at a slower pace, considering the topics are important to industry professionals.

In the past I've invited my collegues, architects/bosses, and students of architecture and the main reason most of them don't register or read much is that this forum rarely discusses architecture for it is primarily focused on development.

But "haif.com" doesn't redirect here. Maybe its worth buying that domain name. "houstonarchitecture.info" is pretty hard to type.

actually, thehaif.com redirects here. Thank god. I was having a hellish time typing out the whole name at various computers.

I like HAIF at a slower pace, considering the topics are important to industry professionals.

In the past I've invited my collegues, architects/bosses, and students of architecture and the main reason most of them don't register or read much is that this forum rarely discusses architecture for it is primarily focused on development.

I think that the firm would at least appreciate the criticisms of some of the developments we look at and take that into consideration with some of their work.

If we got enough of them in here, we could start up a good conversation. I know the times I've started a thread(s) in the past, there wasn't much participation. I know I'd like to throw in my two cents on some architecture and have a chance to pick at their brains.

I have actually done something similar for my Daughter on the sidewalk before. Powerwashers are wonderful things.

gallery_1279_48_75385.jpg

post-1279-1206728793_thumb.jpg

She's from the valley? :rolleyes: The bar makes sense now.

What was the first clue Niche ? The insanely large old school Bigscreens taking up HALF of the floor space, or the 70's decor that reeked of stale beer and years of cigarette smoke ? ;)

What was the first clue Niche ? The insanely large old school Bigscreens taking up HALF of the floor space, or the 70's decor that reeked of stale beer and years of cigarette smoke ? ;)

The music that the locals were playing on the jukebox the first time we went there.

I tell you what we do need regardless of what else we do, we need some really cool eye catching window vinyl. Single color I prefer white for the black tint rear windows. Like the ones you see all the soccer moms, or kids sports support on the rear of thousands of vehicle. Nothing big and tacky, just something that will make people want to go to HAIF.com.

I'm no graphic artist or slogan hound, so it should be designed by someone that knows what the hell they're doing.

bs.jpg

But when you are sitting in traffic or at a light, how many of you read what's on the back of the car in front of you? They work for advertisement. Take up some donations or make them part of subscribiing. Or just sell them outright for say $7.50 that should offset the cost of the vinyl work and postage. Just a thought.

I tell you what we do need regardless of what else we do, we need some really cool eye catching window vinyl. Single color I prefer white for the black tint rear windows. Like the ones you see all the soccer moms, or kids sports support on the rear of thousands of vehicle. Nothing big and tacky, just something that will make people want to go to HAIF.com.

That's actually not a bad idea. If it only says thehaif.com people will wonder and go. Plus, it's pretty easy to remember, right?

I'm no graphic artist or slogan hound, so it should be designed by someone that knows what the hell they're doing.

bs.jpg

But when you are sitting in traffic or at a light, how many of you read what's on the back of the car in front of you? They work for advertisement. Take up some donations or make them part of subscribiing. Or just sell them outright for say $7.50 that should offset the cost of the vinyl work and postage. Just a thought.

There is a guy at Trader's Village that makes vinyl stickers, ON THE CHEAP !!! Perhaps we should pay him a visit this weekend ?

LOL, we could make the stickers look EXACTLY like soccer mom stickers. Have THEHAIF.com with our name and member number under it. It will be a panic !!!

436.jpg

Instead of a Gator perhaps a skyline, and I think he has a Houston skyline.

Like I said I am no graphic artist but you get the gist of it. Make them single color, even a chrome and gold option, and maybe 6 basic colors. Not very expensive. and selling them direct would offset the cost, and you have rolling billboards all over H-town. It's not like it's a vehicle wrap or anything, just something 4"x6".

bs2.jpg

I know, but folks keep suggesting "haif.com".

I can't get HAIF.com. Some Saudi squatter owns it and won't return my e-mails.

Technically, I can get the WIPO to force him to turn it over to us since HAIF is a registered trademark, but I don't have the $1,500 it takes for the formal hearing.

Anyone got $1,500 burning a hole in their pockets?

Not really the same, but wasn't the newskipper site similar, but rather us posting other peoples articles about Houston. Just noticed that we lost track of it now, and it has gathered dust since August, maybe a revamp and reintroduction to it!

Wasn't their a link up top?

Newskipper is ready for use, if anyone wants to use it. It would be a great way for people to get out information about the events and news stories they care about. Like Digg or Fark, but for Houston. It's not dead -- it's just sleeping. The problem is that I built it, but never promoted it.

OK !!! I am sure there is a small advertising budget that is building up as we speak, correct editor? How much, I don't know, and I don't know what it costs to advertise on Radio, but Talk radio can't be THAT bad. Perhaps a couple of Walton and Johnson spots AM 950 in the morning, or on the sports animal during the Mike and Mike show ? I just don't know what the budget is as opposed to what the actual costs are. Perhaps a scavenger hunt around Houston would get folks talking around the watercooler and on the web. The gift I assume would have to be a little substantial but not like a 60" plasma or anything. A weekly treasure hunt for something that alot of people would love to have, just not want to have to shell out for it, something like an iPhone, or XM/Sirius with service for a year, but they'd have to look around on Haif and perhaps make a few posts in order to actually GET the clues to the hidden item of the week or bi-weekly prize. In other words, YOU HAVE TO BE PART OF THE ACTION TO GET THE GOODIES. If lurking is your bag, that's fine, whatever works for you, but I feel eventually the itching feeling of, "MAN, I'd like to get in on that!!!" is going to take over.

oooooorrrrrrrrrrrr......Maybe we can just start a Haif Fight Club, at The Happy Days Lounge and Haif will eventually become bigger than ALL of us !!! Just a thought.

Radio advertising might be worth looking at. I'll add it to the list of things to look into. But I don't think that AM is the way to go. People in office buildings with steel and computers all around can barely get AM radio. It's why so many AM stations stream online for the office workers. I think we'd be better off with an FM station that people can actually hear.

Dissenting opinions welcome.

maybe we could create a forum just for curious out of towners/people moving here?

Done.

The only thing I'd like to see in the software, would be the ability to review a brief synopsis of the threads, by simply holding the cursor over the post title in the main index, without having to open the actual post or thread. Another forum I am a member of has that feature, and it is really nice.

This has been requested of the software authors, and they've rejected it as obnoxious. In the fora where I've seen it used (Howard Forums) it's not been implemented very well -- it pops up too quickly and so even if you don't want to see it you are forced to look at it simply because the page scrolled under your mouse.

I MIGHT be able to cobble something together on my own that adds this functionality, but I'm not promising anything. I'll add it to the list.

This is why I made the comment earlier (Are you High?) when it came to the IPOD giveaway, etc. It don't think the cost/benefit would be enough to justify it.

Since neither of the last two iPods we gave away went according to plan (one was donated to charity, the other was stolen) I'm staying away from electronics giveaways for a while.

BTW, 1/4 page ad in The Houston Barnacle costs about $1600 to $1700. I am not for sure if it depends on what section you are advertising in though, but if you put it in the Homes section, or the Tech section, it might decrease in cost ?

I think if we went with the Chronicle, we'd be better served to advertise on chron.com than in the dead tree edition.

Here's an IDEA:

I usually give a copy of ENVY and 002 for people that I know are going to be here for extended stays (over 3 days). Maybe convince them to write a review and/or maybe work out a trade deal for ENVY/002 to share space here for a modest ad on the respective magazines.

Maybe while you're handing out copies of 002, you could slide in a couple of those HAIF cards I sent you!

The other idea... I'm not really sure what you're saying. Can you put it a different way for me? I don't get it.

Does HAIF have a MySpace ???

No. Do we need one? Or is that just desperate?

I got some prices on billboards last week from ClearChannel Outdoor.

a 6x12 was $500 for 28 days and a 12x24 was $1000 for 28 days. This was on a residential style street at a RR Xing.

The production cost was between $75 and $200 depending on paper or plastic.

flipper

Well, that certainly seems reasonable. Do you have a phone number of e-mail for the person you spoke with?

there's always the lo-fi way: handbills and spray paint--still very popular inside the loop, anyway. I'm sure we've got a resident artist who could turn 'HAIF.com' into a very cool stencil. We could have a HAIF guerilla marketing get together.

I'd rather not pay the huge fine that IBM paid for stenciling Linux penguins around New York, or the fine that Sony paid for spray painting PSP graffiti in a couple of other cities.

I was thinking DRIVE TIME mornings, not all day spots, concentrated effort during the morning commute.

A banner on Chron.com sounds good.

NO, I don't neccessarily think that HAIF needs a MySpace, but any exposure is still exposure, and MySpace is FREE !!! I suggest a VERY simple theme for the MySpace account.

I was thinking DRIVE TIME mornings, not all day spots, concentrated effort during the morning commute.

People in cars can't log on and aren't as likely to recall the ad once they get to work.

If they have a computer right in front of them at that very moment, however, we'd get a better response, I assure you. That's why I'd say that a 9:30 to 10:00 time slot would be ideal.

People in cars can't log on and aren't as likely to recall the ad once they get to work.

If they have a computer right in front of them at that very moment, however, we'd get a better response, I assure you. That's why I'd say that a 9:30 to 10:00 time slot would be ideal.

Good idea, but, it will have to be FM like editor stated, for the obvious reasons. Now, what is the demographic WE are trying to reach ? IS there one, I think we want EVERYONE, correct ? I would guess it is a toss up between Dean and Rodge, or Roulah and Ryan ?

Good idea, but, it will have to be FM like editor stated, for the obvious reasons. Now, what is the demographic WE are trying to reach ? IS there one, I think we want EVERYONE, correct ? I would guess it is a toss up between Dean and Rodge, or Roulah and Ryan ?

I don't listen to much variety in FM, so I don't know what all the stations are or what kinds of demographics they get.

Never mind the thinly-veiled propaganda from NPR, but I wonder what it takes to get mentioned on KUHT. Perhaps Editor could submit a story to them about the many ways in which communities socialize, and then talk about how HAIF is so unique. It'd be free, and with greater depth that a commercial.

Maybe while you're handing out copies of 002, you could slide in a couple of those HAIF cards I sent you!

The other idea... I'm not really sure what you're saying. Can you put it a different way for me? I don't get it.

Done.

Which reminds me, I need more cards.

I simply mean that 002 or Envy can have a permanent spot for a month or two on the site as a form of advertising for them in addition to your regular (paying) advertising.

Archived