Haif Has Slowed Down?

tierwestah

Man even today is a good example, super slow. We need some light rail debate action! AftonAg? ;)

I guess it really was the debating that got the energy flowing, but it also lead to trolling and flame wars.

Those were the days I can think of where activity was peak.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've looked at other forums that are Houston Area based and I have generally didn't like the format and don't seem as "patrolled" like HAIF is and people on here have been more civil over the past couple of years.

I must have joined after the uncivilness. Everyone here has been pretty cool ... even if I don't always agree with their positions, they don't seem nasty or vile.

I don't think it has slowed down. maybe in number of posts, but certainly not in numer of "lurkers". I see over 1000 guests at any given time. I wish some fo them would get a little more involved so we can get some fresh perspectives around here. Perhaps editor can come up with some sort of posts for points system where Ipods or other goodies are involved. I believe it would increase hits and membership, in turn more advertising dollars from our sponsors ??? Editor, what say you ?

iPods are always good gab getters.

I like to come up with off the wall discussions (I've had a few that have gotten pretty good), but lately I just don't have as much time (school, work).

But I still try to be involved with discussions when the mood hits.

Are you high?

Wha ????? You don't want to increase membership ? Today, everybody wants to know, "what's in it for me ?"

This Forum has SO MUCH potential, it is just disheartening that more Houstonians don't want to be involved in these discussions.

Wha ????? You don't want to increase membership ? Today, everybody wants to know, "what's in it for me ?"

This Forum has SO MUCH potential, it is just disheartening that more Houstonians don't want to be involved in these discussions.

Agreed. I feel like HAIF is on the edge of something great but I don't know how to push it over the edge into greatness.

I have a couple of small things I'm working on, but I don't think they'll have the critical mass to take HAIF to the next level.

I always say on HAIF that I'm open to any ideas, but I rarely get any from anyone. Maybe because I'm not being specific enough. I'm tired of trying to read minds.

So I say to YOU, TJones, what can I do to use HAIF's potential. You (and others) say there's lots here. Tell me what to do.

Agreed. I feel like HAIF is on the edge of something great but I don't know how to push it over the edge into greatness.

I would love to have a HAIF group on facebook, but I am not sure if it would be redundant, or even useful, but it would be a great way for people to see what you are into.

I would love to have a HAIF group on facebook, but I am not sure if it would be redundant, or even useful, but it would be a great way for people to see what you are into.

I'm not currently on Facebook. Is it something anyone can join or do you need an invitation?

Maybe HAIF could become like a news site where people write their own articles and put them on the front page (not just anybody though). That will get people to read and then join in order to discuss. UrbanPlanet does it I think, and so does OKMet.

I'm not currently on Facebook. Is it something anyone can join or do you need an invitation?

Anyone can join Facebook, and it is free. Made a quick trip to Tyler and Houston and had a great time. Houston looked great to me, I spent one entire day in Memorial Park and thereabouts. Visited relatives and inlaws in Houston and their Memorial area homes looked just as good as ever.

I don't think it has slowed down. most of the new projects aren't controversial like the rail lines, ashby highrise, etc therefore most are just reading more rather than posting. news on the controversial projects has almost come to a halt which means opinions have as well.

for me personally, many of the post topics occur in areas of town i rarely if ever go. for instance i haven't been to katy in this decade that i can remember. i just can't get excited about a denny's opening.

It is basically a less trashy version of MySpace, it used to be college email .edu access only, but now anyone can join.

It is very clean, but of recent, I have noticed more and more MySpace like advertisements and cross promotions creeping in.

Regardless, it is another outlet, and they have an application feature which maybe you can incorporate some sort of HAIF connection if you are good at those kind of things.

Maybe HAIF could become like a news site where people write their own articles and put them on the front page (not just anybody though). That will get people to read and then join in order to discuss. UrbanPlanet does it I think, and so does OKMet.

Not really the same, but wasn't the newskipper site similar, but rather us posting other peoples articles about Houston. Just noticed that we lost track of it now, and it has gathered dust since August, maybe a revamp and reintroduction to it!

Wasn't their a link up top?

Yeah, Editor, I think facebook could only help haif. I'm thinking advertising is really cheap. You can put up 'flyers', basically advertisment for real cheap. And you can target it to certain areas(houston), colleges, companies etc. It's so cheap I even did it once just to say happy birthday to a friend. I'm sure it's changed a little since then but I'd be willing to bet it's still very close.

I'm sure there's plenty of bright minds at UH, Rice TSU and others that we could reach. Plus it's great b/c plenty of adults use it too. Heck, the leadership development program at my 35,000 employee job even used it to create an invitation only group.

I also created a group that jax is a part of that keeps up with Houston development news. Of course I've linked to the wiki as an aid.

I say create an account to at least explore and see what the opportunities are.

It is basically a less trashy version of MySpace, it used to be college email .edu access only, but now anyone can join.

It is very clean, but of recent, I have noticed more and more MySpace like advertisements and cross promotions creeping in.

You're right, the design is very clean. The only annoying new thing is their trashy singles/dating ads.

-----

One last thing is that geeks are creating applications/games that are real simple and are turning them into major profit. I see no reason why haif/you couldn't be a part of that. Although I'd like to be a share please :)

I don't think it has slowed down. most of the new projects aren't controversial like the rail lines, ashby highrise, etc therefore most are just reading more rather than posting. news on the controversial projects has almost come to a halt which means opinions have as well.

for me personally, many of the post topics occur in areas of town i rarely if ever go. for instance i haven't been to katy in this decade that i can remember. i just can't get excited about a denny's opening.

or, at the risk of offending, an 'office park' on 290, or 288, and wherever. I just don't feel compelled to take a picture or consult google earth because a variance request sign went up. Unless of course it's in my hood. ;) It seems like HAIF lately gets a lot of traction with folks posting very 'hood-specific stuff. Which is totally cool; it just doesn't generate the forum traffic that, say, a big new project does.

Any ideas you have for spicing things up around here -- I'm all ears.

I really don't think you want the ideas that have been lingering around in my mind. You won't take me serious.

But an example of the most entertaining threads that i can think off the top of my head are:

1. University Rail on Richmond Thread

2. Dallas's Victory Project vs Houston Pavilions/Eastside downtown development

3. Houston Pavilions

4. Port of Dallas

5. Houston Texans football threads

6. Houston vs Dallas Shopping

and more but i'm not fixing to name them all.

You pretty much nailed it on the head. There have been threads that petered out because there was no news or we had come to a general consensus of what is going to happen.

He's pretty much repeating what i said in the 2nd paragraph of my opening post. But he did nail it on the head.

I have a couple of small things I'm working on, but I don't think they'll have the critical mass to take HAIF to the next level.

I always say on HAIF that I'm open to any ideas, but I rarely get any from anyone. Maybe because I'm not being specific enough. I'm tired of trying to read minds.

So I say to YOU, TJones, what can I do to use HAIF's potential. You (and others) say there's lots here. Tell me what to do.

OK !!! I am sure there is a small advertising budget that is building up as we speak, correct editor? How much, I don't know, and I don't know what it costs to advertise on Radio, but Talk radio can't be THAT bad. Perhaps a couple of Walton and Johnson spots AM 950 in the morning, or on the sports animal during the Mike and Mike show ? I just don't know what the budget is as opposed to what the actual costs are. Perhaps a scavenger hunt around Houston would get folks talking around the watercooler and on the web. The gift I assume would have to be a little substantial but not like a 60" plasma or anything. A weekly treasure hunt for something that alot of people would love to have, just not want to have to shell out for it, something like an iPhone, or XM/Sirius with service for a year, but they'd have to look around on Haif and perhaps make a few posts in order to actually GET the clues to the hidden item of the week or bi-weekly prize. In other words, YOU HAVE TO BE PART OF THE ACTION TO GET THE GOODIES. If lurking is your bag, that's fine, whatever works for you, but I feel eventually the itching feeling of, "MAN, I'd like to get in on that!!!" is going to take over.

oooooorrrrrrrrrrrr......Maybe we can just start a Haif Fight Club, at The Happy Days Lounge and Haif will eventually become bigger than ALL of us !!! Just a thought.

...help run people off. not sure HAIF would benefit from a typical facebook user. it's fine when you're in jr hi or hi school, but most of us are beyond that stage.

you'd be surprised who uses facebook. It's far from just jr. high and high school students. There's a vast amount of networks people join for companies.

that's actually not a bad advertising spend--- local radio. Pick the right show and you can match the HAIF demo better than Facebook, or whatever, at a pretty reasonable cost.

Or maybe we just start a virtual guerilla war with the shallow idiots on city-data, and the subhumans on chron.com! unleash the HAIFers .....

...help run people off. not sure HAIF would benefit from a typical facebook user. it's fine when you're in jr hi or hi school, but most of us are beyond that stage.

I agree. Facebook is targeted at a younger audience than the one that HAIF attracts. I would think a younger audience would not be as interested in discussing issues relating to Houston's built environment. However, we might get some really entertaining posts of the "Plastic" persuasion...

that's actually not a bad advertising spend--- local radio. Pick the right show and you can match the HAIF demo better than Facebook, or whatever, at a pretty reasonable cost.

Or maybe we just start a virtual guerilla war with the shallow idiots on city-data, and the subhumans on chron.com! unleash the HAIFers .....

Citydata is just....bad. Forum hell.

so why suggest it? :blink:

I meant overall. With the exception of about two or three people, we don't have jr and sr. high students here like facebook. There's a market there. There's plenty of profs and professionals on facebook. FWIW, har advertises there.

With the exception of about two or three people, we don't have jr and sr. high students here like facebook.

exactly and let's keep it that way.

FWIW, har advertises there.

is that supposed to be a positive or a negative?

exactly and let's keep it that way.

is that supposed to be a plus or a minus?

well number one, it lets you know that har believes there are people to be reached on facebook that are of age to buy or sell a house.

A simple search of 'architecture' brings up 500+(max results) people in the Houston network alone that list it as an interest or concentration.

Same goes for a 'real estate' search.

Tens of thousands of poeple join architecture groups.

It's at least worth a try considering editor can go the free ad route or pay route. If it doesn't work, stop.

If I were looking to advertise, I might try one of the top two social networking sites in the world. But that's just me.

A simple search of 'architecture' brings up 500+(max results) people in the Houston network alone that list it as an interest or concentration.

Tens of thousands of poeple join architecture groups.

we all know how accurate online profiles are. ;)

OK !!! I am sure there is a small advertising budget that is building up as we speak, correct editor? How much, I don't know, and I don't know what it costs to advertise on Radio, but Talk radio can't be THAT bad. Perhaps a couple of Walton and Johnson spots AM 950 in the morning, or on the sports animal during the Mike and Mike show ?

Now that's a great idea TJ... I've read recently that W&J's ratings have slipped from 29th place in 25-54 adults to 48th in just a couple of months, so there rates are probably going down. :P Seriously though, radio could be a big shot in the arm for HAIF.

Archived