Mansion At Pinemont Dr. And Mangum Rd.

my, my... aren't we all the tacky police... the people who live there, probably love it - and that's all that counts.

That's true, but they could have the consideration to put a bag over it so the rest of us don't have to look at it.

There's not a simple one-word answer like "Victorian" or "Tudor." Actually, several people have provided them but I don't think they are what the OP was asking for! :rolleyes:

I would say it's a simplified post-modern interpretation of Spanish Mediterranean elements. Unfortunately, that also is a pretty good description of a "perfect storm" of the most reviled qualities of McMansion design.

It's the balconies at the front that get me. What do these people think they're going to be looking at?? Balconies were fine when you had 500 acres round your house all to yourself but they're kinda silly when you're either looking at the guys doing the yard opposite, or exchanging resentful glares with your more modestly domiciled neighbors. A porch would make a lot more sense, but perhaps not with that ugly six foot railing round it. I'd run a mile from any house that the builders felt they had to fence off from the neighborhood to sell it.

It's the balconies at the front that get me. What do these people think they're going to be looking at?? Balconies were fine when you had 500 acres round your house all to yourself but they're kinda silly when you're either looking at the guys doing the yard opposite, or exchanging resentful glares with your more modestly domiciled neighbors. A porch would make a lot more sense, but perhaps not with that ugly six foot railing round it. I'd run a mile from any house that the builders felt they had to fence off from the neighborhood to sell it.

This looks like the generic "Mexican McMansion" and I bet the builder will live there. Using that term isn't a slam, although the style is not appealing to me, but I've seen several of these and have met the owners on a couple built where I live. The design is sort of a combo of a weatlhy person's house in Mexico and our standard McMansion.

Isn't there neighborhood deed restrictions that prevent ugly houses like this being built? Something like being totally out of character for the rest of the neighborhood?

Good lord....

depends on the 'hood. for my own it's height, front setback and garage door setback. after that all bets are off.....

Isn't there neighborhood deed restrictions that prevent ugly houses like this being built? Something like being totally out of character for the rest of the neighborhood?

a restriction needs to be defined so that everyone will interpret them in the same manner. saying something can't be out of character would be subject to interpretation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to McMansion At Pinemont Dr. And Mangum Area Rd.
  • The title was changed to Mansion At Pinemont Dr. And Mangum Rd.