Name This Downtown Skyscraper

editor

KBR Headquarters? Really? I thought they were in the KBR Tower downtown.

Actually, according to Hoover's, you're correct. The other KBR Tower is downtown on Jefferson Street. I'm not sure specific function this one serves, but I do know that a whole lot of their corporate staff is employed there.

Thanks for the tip on the tower. I looked it up and it's the KPRC(AM) tower.

http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapgen/gif...0.5&wid=0.5

I'm really surprised because it looks like a TV antenna. I've never seen an AM quite like that one, especially one that puts out a directional signal at night.

It turns out the KTRH tower is waaaaaay out of town.

http://tiger.census.gov/cgi-bin/mapgen/gif...0.5&wid=0.5

Actually, according to Hoover's, you're correct. The other KBR Tower is downtown on Jefferson Street. I'm not sure specific function this one serves, but I do know that a whole lot of their corporate staff is employed there.

Do you know the address?

The Niche is right, that is a 12 story tower that belongs to KBR. It is surrounded by industrial stuff that also belongs to KBR. It isn't really open to the public.

As an aside, I worked in the 806 Main Tower from 1993 to 1995. The building was about half full/empty depending upon your point of view and was as sketchy as the rest of Main St was back then. The urinal smell from 806 Main to the Courthouses was insane. This was back in the day when the Rice Hotel was essentially a toilet for the homeless and Main St. Square and the light rail weren't even remotely on the radar.

The Niche is right, that is a 12 story tower that belongs to KBR. It is surrounded by industrial stuff that also belongs to KBR. It isn't really open to the public.

Actually, part of the site is accessible to the public. Turn south off of Clinton Dr. onto Bayou St. and take it generally south to the banks of the Buffalo Bayou. There they have a picnic area with really nice views.

• 1 month later...
here are a couple of images of the 806 Main building before the bad 1970's face lift.

The face lift dates from earlier, about 1965. It is a shame they ruined such a beautiful building. You have to wonder, what were they thinking?

That was Carter's Folly. I think it's real name was the Second National Bank Building. The top 6 stories were added after the first 16 were built.

The face lift dates from earlier, about 1965. It is a shame they ruined such a beautiful building. You have to wonder, what were they thinking?

They were thinking, "We know a lot of people are uneasy about this, but it's change! You've got to accept change! That old stuff looked good before, but the times have changed! Out with the old, in with the new!"

Similar lines have been spoken at many of history's stupider moments.

They were thinking, "We know a lot of people are uneasy about this, but it's change! You've got to accept change! That old stuff looked good before, but the times have changed! Out with the old, in with the new!"

Similar lines have been spoken at many of history's stupider moments.

Boy, ain't that the truth.

A lot of buildings underwent "modernization" at about the same time. I suppose they thought that it would somehow revitalize downtown.

• 5 months later...
OK, Smartypantses -- I have three left and I'm done. Two hard, one easy.

The first one is an antenna northeast of downtown. I think it's this one:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Houston,+TX+...mp;t=h&z=18

gallery_1_65_383875.jpg

The Ennis Street tower is the primary site for KLTN-FM, 102.9, and the back-up antenna site for KHMX-FM, 96.5.

The site was originally used in late 1946 for the antenna for the first FM in Texas, Roy Hofheinz's KTHT-FM, 98.5, which broadcast from a temporary antenna atop the Southern Standard building downtown until moving here (and changing calls to KOPY). The station folded in 1950. I'm not sure what was on the site during the 50s - possibly KNUZ-AM (1230) but in 1960 when sister station KQUE-FM, 102.9, went on the air it used this site for decades.

The tower was originally much shorter. Engineers tell me it's possible some of the original structure is still in use. I think there are some pictures of the site in the Bailey collection.

The KTRH transmitter is near Devers; I'm not sure where KPRC is but it would have to be a multi-tower array I think.

Speaking of change in buildings, check out the elevator banks in 1100 Louisana.

Everyday they cover-up wonderful stone walls with carpet in the name of progress.

All of the abovewill some day need a anthropological architect.

Kind of like your aunt's vinyl slipcovers..

Archived