Your Ethnic Background

jmancuso

Well lets see. Not really sure about how it all mixes together but I have Irish, Scottish, German and French. Hard to tell if I am coming or going.

I am told that there coudl be more but so far all we have to go on is old family rumors and no solid proof.

No one kept good record back then and as far as one can tell it is just a rumor so far.

Ah I love the US a true melting Pot.

Scottish, English, and some German. My father's last name is Gregory from the MacGregor clan of Scotland, my mother's last name was Bird (Grandpa changed to "Byrd" in 1920), and my great grandmother on my dad's side (yes--the one that married the Scot) was--are you ready for this German name? Frances Ruger. Just rolls off the tongue, don't it? ;)

This is why I can cook a fine pot of corned beef and cabbage, make shortbread that melts in your mouth, all while frying up a good bit of bratwurst and homemade sauerkraut.

An interesting tidbit to note is that my paternal grandmother's side are direct descendants of the Aldens, as in John Alden and Priscilla Mullins, who came over on the Mayflower and got married. I have Jane Alden's (Priscilla's 3rd-great granddaughter) sock darner in our safe deposit box. It dates back to the very early 1800's.

Talk about melting pot. Of course with these three being so prevalent in my lineage, I argue with myself quite a bit. It can get pretty heated.

:lol:

Paternal Grandfather from Nenagh, Tipperary, Ireland.

Paternal Grandmother from Unterfranken, Bavaria, Germany.

Maternal Grandmother was adopted so unknown.

Maternal Grandfather is a mix of everything back to the mayflower (alot of scottish, italian, spanish, etc.). I've made a small career out of tracing his lineage. His Great grandfather built San Quentin, first prison in California. Colorful guy that is more of a blemish on our heritage than anything else.

• 1 year later...

Arabian (Iraq), Persian (Iran), Afghan (Kabul), Indian (Dehli), Pakistani (Sindhi), Mongolian (Ulaan Bataar)

Anyone want to try beating that? Anyone.....anyone....?

Father's side:

The most prominent of my ancestors was Ghengiz Kahn of Mongolia himself. Yessiree Bob, the man 'greater' then the Prince of Greece: Alexander ibn Phillip al-Macedoni. The conqueror from China to Eastern Europe and everything of importance in between (Russia, Iran, Iraq, India, SE Asia, Russia, Hungary, etc). From him, Temur Link, or Tamer the Lame (search on wikipedia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timur

From there, Akbar, of the Moghul Dynasty of India. Moghul is the same as Mongol, which Genghiz Kahn was. It was just perverted to Moghul. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akbar_the_great

These people made Dehli their capital, and my father is from there.

Mothers Side:

Arabs conquered Iraq during the Islamic Expansion. The Iranian Empire of the Sassanids was destroyed. My mothers family is of Persian heritage. Her tribe became Muslim, moved to Afghanistan where they interbred with various Indo-Greco Hellinized people left over by Alexander. There they embraced Islam again under Mahmud of Ghaznavi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmud_Ghaznavi

From there they moved to Pakistan pre-Indo-Pak Partition.

They think im Italian :wacko: but whatever.

Every Damned Country on the Axis of Evil. Or Axis of Terrorism or whatever the hell they named it.

I know my dad's side are Okies (Eastern New Mexico dirt farmers to be exact) of Irish and English descent with some Indian (Starrs).

My mom's side is half-Okie (Kansas and points west, changing from year-to-year), and half-German.

I can trace my roots on my Dad's side all the way back to 1900! (They were from North Texas...and yes I AM embarrassed to say that).

Genetically:

Scotch/Irish

English

German (1/8)

French (trace amounts)

Scandinavian (trace amounts)

Native American (we know its there from the crescent shape of our teeth)

Within the past eight generations:

Dodson.jpg

An aunt of mine (Sarah Dodson) designed and sewed this flag, which was the first revolutionary Texas flag to have a lone star. Although the 'official' legislatively-approved flag was designed by a fellow in Montgomery, he borrowed heavily from my aunt's design, which had been created at Harrisburg in 1835 and flown over the first constitutional convention at Washington-on-the-Brazos in 1836, as well as in battle at Gonzales and San Antonio. It was most likely destroyed when Santa Anna torched Harrisburg just prior to the battle of San Jacinto.

Within the past ten generations:

"In January 1779, a regiment of militia under the direction of Colonel Thomas Neel, Lieutenant Colonel Samuel Watson and Major Francis Ross, answered a call for men to go to Georgia to free Augusta, Georgia. On June 20, 1779, Colonel Neel was killed at Stone Ferry and Samuel was made Colonel. During the war, Samuel also commanded a regiment at the Battle of Cowpen, and was engaged in the battle of King

I'm 2 cups sugar, 3 tsp vanilla...I'm just playin'. Some of these posts sound like a recipe from God's cookbook :lol:

I'm Jamaican-American. Oye Oye Oye! It's not easy being Jamaican-American in America, though. I don't know what to check on applications when it asks for my race. African-American? Hispanic? Asian? Pacific Islander? Native American? White? Other?... :D

Mother's side of the family is very Scottish with names like Wallace, Phillips, and Daniels thrown around.

Dad's side is also quite Scottish with some Welch and English to boot with names like Masterson, Winston, Turner, and Sterling.

i'm...

1/4 italian (grandfather born in calabria)

1/4 english (grandfather born in blackpool)

1/4 german/prussian

1/8 polish

1/8 northern irish

i have good drinking genes.

Per my HAIF name -- I'm pure Scot on my father's side. I'm so close to my paternal immigrant it's scary. My gg grand parents immigrated to America with their infant son -- my great-granddad -- in 1830.

On me mother's side I'm Scottish and English. One branch came to America in 1812. Other branches arrived from England in colonial times, and I am proud to be able to say that I have ancestors who fought on both sides of the American Revolution. I belong to the Sons of the American Revolution, the Sons of the Republic of Texas, and I'm thinking about joining one of the groups of descendants of English Loyalists. I take some pride in identifying myself with those who came before me because they set an example of courage and determination I struggle to emulate.

"....I'm thinking about joining one of the groups of descendants of English Loyalists."

"They have a group for that???

Oh yes indeed. There are dozens of groups for descendants of Loyalists all over North America. Do a Google search on "English Loyalists".

The Loyalists are the forgotten people of the American Revolution. They were the "Tories", who remained loyal to their King and refused to join the revolution. For that they were treated brutally and even killed by rebelling colonials, even though most did their best to keep their heads down and stay out of the fight. When the war ended in 1781, many changed their minds and their loyalties and stayed in this country, but many more, including my ancestors, left and moved to Canada or back to England.

And some -- including mine -- returned years later when anti-British sentiment cooled down. There are Loyalist groups in just about every area they went to after leaving this country. There are also several groups in this country for descendants of Loyalists who came back.

Archived