Your Ethnic Background

jmancuso

Oh yes indeed. There are dozens of groups for descendants of Loyalists all over North America. Do a Google search on "English Loyalists".

The Loyalists are the forgotten people of the American Revolution. They were the "Tories", who remained loyal to their King and refused to join the revolution. For that they were treated brutally and even killed by rebelling colonials, even though most did their best to keep their heads down and stay out of the fight. When the war ended in 1781, many changed their minds and their loyalties and stayed in this country, but many more, including my ancestors, left and moved to Canada or back to England.

And some -- including mine -- returned years later when anti-British sentiment cooled down. There are Loyalist groups in just about every area they went to after leaving this country. There are also several groups in this country for descendants of Loyalists who came back.

How very "English" of them. I am sure that your ancestors saw the err of their ways and knew just how great it is over here in America, and couldn't wait to get back over here. We all make mistakes you know. :lol:

why would they want to come back? Why not stay in England then?

My guess is that they kept getting letters from their old friends and relatives back in America going on and on about how great it was to live in a country where the people elected their own leaders, and didn't have to put up with kings and queens and all that "divine right of kings" BS.

Maybe, just maybe, loyalists who went back to England decided they would like to live in a country like that, so they packed up and returned to America. After all, that's what has pulled millions of immigrants here from all over the world.

• The title was changed to Your Ethnic Background

Archived