What Makes A City Cosmopolitan?

Before I moved to Houston, I asked a couple of people what they thought of Dallas and Houston. One used to live in Dallas and had visited Houston a few times. The other had just visited the two cities. One thing common to their opinions was the remark that Dallas is more cosmopolitan than Houston. I have now seen Houston but have never been to Dallas. I am just curious what makes a city more or less cosmopolitan? I do not intend to initiate Dallas vs Houston debate but am only wondering why is Dallas more cosmopolitan than Houston and what would it take for Houston to be as or more cosmopolitan?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I moved to Houston, I asked a couple of people what they thought of Dallas and Houston. One used to live in Dallas and had visited Houston a few times. The other had just visited the two cities. One thing common to their opinions was the remark that Dallas is more cosmopolitan than Houston. I have now seen Houston but have never been to Dallas. I am just curious what makes a city more or less cosmopolitan? I do not intend to initiate Dallas vs Houston debate but am only wondering why is Dallas more cosmopolitan than Houston and what would it take for Houston to be as or more cosmopolitan?

Simple -- Perception makes one city more cosmopolitan than another. There are thousands of people who think Dallas is a big, traffic-plagued country town, with big-haired yokels and no concept of the world outside the LBJ. I've seen that point of view. I've also seen a city that has managed to grow and prosper, despite not having a port -- quite a feat. Dallas is also much more tourist-friendly, so it makes a much better first impression to visitors. Maybe that's part of it.

Similar numbers of people think Houston is a blue-collar town with no refinement and uncontrollable pollution. The truth is, as you probably suspect, somewhere in the middle on both accounts.

Truth be told, neither city is particularly cosmopolitan in a London, Paris or New York sense. Both lack the kind of "world-class" culture, and sense of history that make great cities great. They are, in fact, much more similar than they are different. To attempt to judge advantages in somethinng so nebulous as "cosmopolitan" factor gets down to splitting hairs and, yes, perception.

Growing up in Louisiana, we all thought Dallas was a cosmo white collar town. We also thought Houston was a dirty blue collar town.

I personally thought Dallas was nicer than Houston on vacations & church/school trips. It did seem more cosmo. It even looked nicer from the freeway. All you ever heard about was how Dallas was the headquarters for most of the blue chip companies in the south. The only thing we heard for Houston was that is was the oil refinery capital.

I think this is the common perception for most people across the nation. Hopefully, the Allstar game & Superbowl have helped change our image a little.

Dallas is, indeed, the pinnacle of cosmopolitan cities to many people from Louisiana, Oklahoma and Arkansas...a fact that many outside this region either find very funny or ignore completely.

I'm not trying to offend you and hope that I am not, but the notion that a sporting event, especially one as silly and base as the Superbowl, might gain "cosmopolitan" points for a city is quite a Louisiana world view...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Dallas is, indeed, the pinnacle of cosmopolitan cities to many people from Louisiana, Oklahoma and Arkansas...a fact that many outside this region either find very funny or ignore completely.

I'm not trying to offend you and hope that I am not, but the notion that a sporting event, especially one as silly and base as the Superbowl, might gain "cosmopolitan" points for a city is quite a Louisiana world view...not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think he was anticipating that both games would show millions (or at least the media that was here) that Houston is a big sophisticated city.

On another note when mentioning first impressions I have noticed that Dallas is not taking the same care of there freeways as they had for so long, and it's been ongoing for a couple of years. Houston on the other hand is becoming a far more attractive city than it had been in the past.

The reason I got curious about this is that if we look up the meaning of "cosmopolitan" it means "multi-ethnic", "international" or "open-minded". From what I know about the two cities, Houston is apparently a bit more diverse and open-minded (towards different ethnic groups, races, lifestyles etc) than Dallas. In that sense, Houston would be more cosmopolitan yet people seem to think otherwise which is what I find confusing. As you said, perhaps it

The reason I got curious about this is that if we look up the meaning of "cosmopolitan" it means "multi-ethnic", "international" or "open-minded". From what I know about the two cities, Houston is apparently a bit more diverse and open-minded (towards different ethnic groups, races, lifestyles etc) than Dallas. In that sense, Houston would be more cosmopolitan yet people seem to think otherwise which is what I find confusing. As you said, perhaps it

Dallas wins hands down in a "cosmo" contest with Houston.

Zoning certainly helps, as true neighborhoods with actual business/leisure centers exist. People in Houston applaud the Rice Village area, but Dallas is full of those types of areas... and they're better.

Additionally, it seems as if Dallas has surpassed Houston in "thinking big." Houston used to be that way with the ship chanel and med center and menil and the like. Now, it's Dallas with her arts district, trinity river park plans, victory development, and light rail development years ahead of ours. These aren't pipe dreams either.

Dallas also wins because it's the home to Neiman Marcus compared to our Foley's!

There's a reason Dallas tends to get things before Houston and that is due to national reputation. Dallas is money and refinement. Houston is money and brashness. That's why W Hotel and Ritz Carlton are currently building hotel/condo developments in Dallas whereas we are just now hearing rumors that these companies may enter the Houston market. That's why Dallas got the NHL and we got the IHL (although with the strike, we may have gotten the better on that one). That's why Nordstroms was in Dallas before Houston.

I hate admitting it since I am a native, but we could learn a lot from Dallas.

Zoning certainly helps, as true neighborhoods with actual business/leisure centers exist. People in Houston applaud the Rice Village area, but Dallas is full of those types of areas... and they're better.

Additionally, it seems as if Dallas has surpassed Houston in "thinking big." Houston used to be that way with the ship chanel and med center and menil and the like. Now, it's Dallas with her arts district, trinity river park plans, victory development, and light rail development years ahead of ours. These aren't pipe dreams either.

Dallas also wins because it's the home to Neiman Marcus compared to our Foley's!

There's a reason Dallas tends to get things before Houston and that is due to national reputation. Dallas is money and refinement. Houston is money and brashness. That's why W Hotel and Ritz Carlton are currently building hotel/condo developments in Dallas whereas we are just now hearing rumors that these companies may enter the Houston market. That's why Dallas got the NHL and we got the IHL (although with the strike, we may have gotten the better on that one). That's why Nordstroms was in Dallas before Houston.

Using the above definition of cosmopolitan would make Dallas the weeker of the two cities period. As far as the Rice Village comment is concerned I don't get it. And where are all of these areas your describing as better. Rice village is but a small part of the "Inner Loop" of the city. Dallas does not have the cultural solid city that Houstons inner loop does, not to say theres no art as I know some fine musicians and clubs in Dallas.

True that in the past Dallas got more recognition than Houston but that has been changing alot over the last ten years. I also don't get the idea's of Neimans, the Ritz Carlton, the NHL or the arts district comments. If we use that logic we could point out the things Houston has over Dallas as far as being progresssive. Heres just a few, I'm sure others could do a better job .

1.) Minute Maid Park (in downtown)

2.) Toyota Center (in downtown) & in a lot prettier environment than American.

3.) Convention center hotel (next to Toyota center)

4.) 82 foriegn consulates

5.) higher populations of diverse cultures

6.) Main street and it's plans

7.) 2nd largest theater market in the country

8.) Williams Tower (tallest building in the world outside a central business district)

9.) Uptown Houston which is about the size of Downtown Dallas

10.) Medical Center (can't leave this off as it is the most progressive in the world)

11.) Way more high rise condo developments than Dallas

12.) Thriving arts district

13.) a downtown that is moving in a very progressive direction

14.) Reliant Center (Reliant convention center, Astrodome, Reliant stadium, reliant astrohall) and this is all in one parking lot.

15.) Super bowl

I know I'm forgetting many others. I will say that as a musician I prefer Houstons brashness as you say to Dallas's refinement. It makes a better place to play as the noise of the crowds are much better in Houston. That also goes for football, baseball or basketball. Oh and the rea

Using the above definition of cosmopolitan would make Dallas the weeker of the two cities period. As far as the Rice Village comment is concerned I don't get it. And where are all of these areas your describing as better. Rice village is but a small part of the "Inner Loop" of the city.

Dallas does not have the cultural solid city that Houstons inner loop does, not to say theres no art as I know some fine musicians and clubs in Dallas.

True that in the past Dallas got more recognition than Houston but that has been changing alot over the last ten years. I also don't get the idea's of Neimans, the Ritz Carlton, the NHL or the arts district comments. If we use that logic we could point out the things Houston has over Dallas as far as being progresssive. Heres just a few, I'm sure others could do a better job .

1.) Minute Maid Park (in downtown)

2.) Toyota Center (in downtown) & in a lot prettier environment than American.

3.) Convention center hotel (next to Toyota center)

4.) 82 foriegn consulates

5.) higher populations of diverse cultures

6.) Main street and it's plans

7.) 2nd largest theater market in the country

8.) Williams Tower (tallest building in the world outside a central business district)

9.) Uptown Houston which is about the size of Downtown Dallas

10.) Medical Center (can't leave this off as it is the most progressive in the world)

11.) Way more high rise condo developments than Dallas

12.) Thriving arts district

13.) a downtown that is moving in a very progressive direction

14.) Reliant Center (Reliant convention center, Astrodome, Reliant stadium, reliant astrohall) and this is all in one parking lot.

15.) Super bowl

I know I'm forgetting many others. I will say that as a musician I prefer Houstons brashness as you say to Dallas's refinement. It makes a better place to play as the noise of the crowds are much better in Houston. That also goes for football, baseball or basketball. Oh and who cares about Hockey? There are a few things Dallas has over Houston but not much.

Wait a minute, did I miss something? I thought we had a pretty significant museum/arts district/theater district. I thought we had a Buffalo Bayou plan--hell, I just found out that we have a pretty aggressive and comprehensive beautifucation plan for qutie a few of our bayous--that we had a Hardy Rail Yard plan, a downtown plan and a Midtown plan? Does an area of development have to have a name to be considered a plan? I mean, have you taken note of what's happening east of downtown? There's no grand name given to this but it serves the same purpose as any "plan", which is to bring more residents into the city.

I mean, do we just look at what happens in Houston and, in keeping with this perpetual "Woe is me" mindset that I don't think is going to be shaken any time soon, we conveniently ignore it?

Seriously.

As Dalparadise said, it's all about perception. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also, the Minnesota North Stars were sold to a Dallas ownership group that was able to move the team to Dallas (the Minnesota franchise was in horrible financial shape and keeping them in M-SP would've killed the franchise entirely).

The Edmonton Oilers would've been the Houston Oilers (ha-ha-ha!) about the same time if Les Alexander (the Rockets owner) and Chuck Watson (IHL Aeros owner) weren't at odds and didn't essentially kill each other off.

Cosmopolitan had nothing to do with it.

You really think the NHL would rather be in places like Nashville, Columbus and Raleigh-Durham, NC before Houston? Nope.

If that's the case, Dallas is more cosmopolitan than Los Angeles, because they have the Cowboys and LA has nada.

Sports teams has a little to do with cosmopolitan, but plans to make the city better has more to do with being cosmopolitan. Dallas plans something, and you see action, houston plans something and thats just what it stays, a "plan" you don't see any action. Why hasn't the planed renovation of Buffalo Bayou happened? Where are all of those great developments Houston was promised?

Over all I like Houston, but it needs major improvments. People complain about billboards on freeways, that's not whats bad, whats bad is the run down buildings you see from the freeways.

One tip Houston could use is, DON'T BUILD FEEDER ROADS! They make the freeway look bad. My favorite area of highway in Houston is the beltway 8 north section near the airport, where there is tall pine trees, and no feeder roads, there are billboards but thats ok. The only problem with that area is that there are a few ugly buildings in the area.

You want cosmopolitan? And I mean as in what separates small "quaint" towns from a big city. How bout Houston having:

1. A flower district (not a flea market with a lot of people that sell flowers, a whole stretch of city that sell nothing but flowers)

2. A f****n prosthetic limb district! (Fannin between braeswood and o.s.t.)

3. A massive wholesale retail bootleg district (harwin from hillcroft to gessner)

4. The premier ferrarri, rolls royce and bentley, and lambhorghini dealerships that everyone in the south has to come to if they want these cars.

5. The skyline.....come on

I could go on and on playa.

Dallas is money and refinement. Houston is money and brashness. That's why Dallas got the NHL and we got the IHL (although with the strike, we may have gotten the better on that one).

ROFLMAO You kinda stepped on your point there... You are "proving" Dallas has money and refinement vs. Houston's money and brashness, by pointing out that Dallas has a National HOCKEY League team???? That's too rich for words.

These discussions would be helped immeasurably if everyone could use a dictionary to look up words before they start bloviating, or, in this case, just read the dictionary definition helpfully posted by kzseatlle. We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are NOT entitled to our own definitions.

forestlanestation.jpg

TRELRTBoardingUnionStation.jpg

angelikamockingbirdsteps.jpg

How can Houston Compare to Dallas? Houston dosent really have urban areas out side of downtown, Dallas does!

I'm very confused, we must be talking about another Dallas because the one I go to every couple of months is nothing in urban area to Houston. Certainly there are cool parts to Dallas as with any big city but to compare it's urbaness to Houston is crazy.

Secondly Dallas does have a superior rail system obviously but a rail system doesn't neccesarily make a part of a city urban, and it certainly doesn't make it cosmopolitan. I know alot of the rail system in Dallas and the majority of it is not as urban as portrayed here.

Dallas has some great things about it (except the dry counties) but it is not comparable to Houston as an urban area. Dallas is a bunch of large towns (except DT and UT. Houston is one big city.

I really don't mean to sound like a jerk but I know both cities and this is a silly debate.

ROFLMAO You kinda stepped on your point there...  You are "proving" Dallas has money and refinement vs. Houston's money and brashness, by pointing out that Dallas has a National HOCKEY League team????  That's too rich for words.

These discussions would be helped immeasurably if everyone could use a dictionary to look up words before they start bloviating, or, in this case, just read the dictionary definition helpfully posted by kzseatlle.  We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are NOT entitled to our own definitions.

Well stated, thank you.

On a national level, Dallas is more highly regarded than Houston. While we all get frustrated with Houston being underrated, the stereotypes about our fair city are grounded in some truth.

The biggest obstacle we face nationally is with our lack of zoning. While there are many advocates around here that think our lack of zoning is a good thing and adds a quirkiness to our landscape, it's simply meant that we have been built largely for profit purposes only. It means billboards everywhere. It means having a drive thru CVS in midtown. It means feeder roads and crap all along our major thoroughfares. It means that most of our neighborhoods lack a cohesion and since of place that are common in most other cities.

If you haven't checked out Dallas lately, you should do so. Inner loop areas like Deep Ellum, the West End, Uptown, Oak Lawn, Turtle Creek, Cochran Heights, Winnetka Heights, Devonshire, Vickery Place, Greenway Parks, Old Oak Cliff, Swiss Avenue, and Hollywood/Santa Monica are all really great close in hoods. So are the Park Cities (Highland and University).

That said, I am still a huge fan of Houston. We do have an incredible arts district, a booming medical center, and some world class neighborhoods with strict deed restrictions. However, I wouldn't want to compare the quality of our recent projects with Dallas'.

Toyota Center vs. American Airlines Center.

No contest. AA Center is beautiful inside and out. Toyota Center serves as a giant, white, ugly billboard. Toyota Center is near the convention center and Hilton, but those were city financed. The only private development in the area has been a suburban style Holiday Inn Express. AA Center is getting a W Hotel and Condos across the street plus numerous developments like our Post Midtown Square.

Hobby Center vs. Meyerson Symphony Hall

Hobby Center serves a purpose well, but the design is uninspired. The ugly parking garage on the banks of the bayou and fronting our Western skyling view is atrocious. This is an example of a total lack of planning considering we have major plans for the Buffalo. Meyerson on the other hand is rated as the BEST symphony building in the US and in the top 4 in the world. Rave reviews are all over the web. To boot, Dallas added the Nasher Sculpture Center nearby and is planning on developing parks OVER the freeway that seperates the Arts District from Downtown proper.

Some examples of what good planning, zoning, and development can accomplish TOGETHER.

West Village

render2.jpg

Arts District (notice the proximity to downtown)

arts_district.jpg

Woodall Rodgers Park to be built over a freeway

woodallrodgersparkdeck.jpg

ROFLMAO You kinda stepped on your point there... You are "proving" Dallas has money and refinement vs. Houston's money and brashness, by pointing out that Dallas has a National HOCKEY League team???? That's too rich for words.

I think people often use this term when they mean "urban" or "modern" or even "refined" which may be what those people who originally made this remark meant.

Even if we use that meaning, it is hard to deny that Houston is cosmopolitan. Houston has a modern and impressive skyline, and a large DT area. It has world-class educational and health care institutions, and sports facilities. Its theatres, museums and arts venues are first rate. It offers an extensive array of dining and shopping options. Housing choices are tremendous: lofts, town homes, high-rise condos, mansions, century old homes and brand new ones. Finally, how can we forget NASA, the epitome of modernity and scientific progress! In summary, Houston does offer many of the things expected from a cosmopolitan city, and then some. Yet, it sometime fails to make that impression on a casual visitor.

It all goes back to the same basic issue discussed many times before. Houston has a problem with presentation. Its urban amenities are obscured by rural elements such as open ditches, lack of mass transit system, bumpy roads, hand-made billboards and free-for-all type of strip malls along some of its major roads making them look like country roads. Its gems are wrapped in a brown bag instead of a shiny gift wrapper. Unfortunately, it doesn

On a national level, Dallas is more highly regarded than Houston. While we all get frustrated with Houston being underrated, the stereotypes about our fair city are grounded in some truth.

The biggest obstacle we face nationally is with our lack of zoning. While there are many advocates around here that think our lack of zoning is a good thing and adds a quirkiness to our landscape, it's simply meant that we have been built largely for profit purposes only. It means billboards everywhere. It means having a drive thru CVS in midtown. It means feeder roads and crap all along our major thoroughfares. It means that most of our neighborhoods lack a cohesion and since of place that are common in most other cities.

If you haven't checked out Dallas lately, you should do so. Inner loop areas like Deep Ellum, the West End, Uptown, Oak Lawn, Turtle Creek, Cochran Heights, Winnetka Heights, Devonshire, Vickery Place, Greenway Parks, Old Oak Cliff, Swiss Avenue, and Hollywood/Santa Monica are all really great close in hoods. So are the Park Cities (Highland and University).

That said, I am still a huge fan of Houston. We do have an incredible arts district, a booming medical center, and some world class neighborhoods with strict deed restrictions. However, I wouldn't want to compare the quality of our recent projects with Dallas'.

Toyota Center vs. American Airlines Center.

No contest. AA Center is beautiful inside and out. Toyota Center serves as a giant, white, ugly billboard. Toyota Center is near the convention center and Hilton, but those were city financed. The only private development in the area has been a suburban style Holiday Inn Express. AA Center is getting a W Hotel and Condos across the street plus numerous developments like our Post Midtown Square.

Hobby Center vs. Meyerson Symphony Hall

Hobby Center serves a purpose well, but the design is uninspired. The ugly parking garage on the banks of the bayou and fronting our Western skyling view is atrocious. This is an example of a total lack of planning considering we have major plans for the Buffalo. Meyerson on the other hand is rated as the BEST symphony building in the US and in the top 4 in the world. Rave reviews are all over the web. To boot, Dallas added the Nasher Sculpture Center nearby and is planning on developing parks OVER the freeway that seperates the Arts District from Downtown proper.

Some examples of what good planning, zoning, and development can accomplish TOGETHER.

West Village

render2.jpg

Arts District (notice the proximity to downtown)

arts_district.jpg

Woodall Rodgers Park to be built over a freeway

woodallrodgersparkdeck.jpg

First of all the "underated" issue is quickly becoming passe. I also think that a lot of native Houstonians have that continued mindset which is not nearly as true as it used to be. As a musician I travel a lot and I can tell you that the "higher regard" that Dallas used to enjoy over Houston is passing quickly.

I am not arguing that Dallas doesn't have some well planned areas in fact there are certain things Dallas has (like water) that I wish Houston had. However in regard to this issue (cosmopolitan) Dallas loses, period. And I have been there recently (last month) and will be there again at the end of March.

I'm not going to argue the facilities of the arts, symphony or the like as far as your perception of planning or architecture, the facts of the sheer size and number of these venues in Houston is point enough. I could use my own perception and proffesional reviews in regards to one of my favorite places in Houston which is the "Ginger Man Pub" in Rice Village. Not only do I find it far more charming than the one in Dallas but Michael Jackson (no not the freak) a world renowned pub & beer critic picked the Ginger Man in Houston as one of the top 5 pub atmospheres in the world. Yes the world. So much of this argument (not the cosmopolitan one) is merely perspective.

Have you been around the east end of DT Houston, have you noticed the midrises going up everywhere? Have you been to Uptown and seen the residential high rise towers going up? Oh and the ones that will be going up? Have you been around the Medical Center to see all of the midrises going up ? Have you been to Main Street and seen what is proposed for it? I could go on and on.

Houston is working on having a densly populated inner loop which of course Dallas cannot compete with.

I play in Dallas and I know Dallas and I like Dallas but where the cosmopolitan debate is concerned Dallas loses.

Again I never said Dallas didn't have some things over Houston, any big city has something over another. However Houston is a more diverse cosmopolitan culture than Dallas.

Houston is working on having a densly populated inner loop which of course Dallas cannot compete with.

I play in Dallas and I know Dallas and I like Dallas but where the cosmopolitan  debate is concerned Dallas loses.

I don't know where you play, or what types of things interest you, but, I can tell by your comments that there is a lot of Dallas that you have not seen. I assume that if you're a musician, you spend a lot of your time in Deep Ellum or Lower Greenville. Those places are just the tip of the iceberg

However Houston is a more diverse cosmopolitan culture than Dallas.

Yeah, Houston has a lot more foreigners. Many of them are illegal, which diminishes their ability to contribute to the city/society (ie. illegals can't vote).

dallas has more than a decade of urban-centric development on houston. it took houston more than 15 years to diversify it's economy and recover from the early eighties. the turnaround has been more than remarkable. there are northern cities that have not recovered from the late 70's/early 80's.

houston is at a completely different point in it's history than dallas. we may never reach a comparable level of "urbanity" (is that a word?).

i'm ecstatic to be in houston during this point in it's history. houston is becoming aware of it's goodness and it's possibilities. the good stuff is only beginning.