I Quit

Trae

Who is quitting (look at the banner)?

Who else would be able to do that banner?

Yay...he's got the guts to break from wage slavery...someone very close to me is trying the same thing. Job security is an illusion anyway. Freedom feels good if not always comfortable.

Yep. I quit. I quit my job. I'm done. Now I have to figure out what to do with the rest of my life.

How are you going to afford that highrise condo with the magnificent view of downtown Chicago now?

Edited by Jeebus

How are you going to afford that highrise condo with the magnificent view of downtown Chicago now?

Dunno. I'm OK for right now. Back in November HAIF rounded the corner and now pays for itself, so you guys are safe there. I have enough money to pay the rent until Spring. Between now and then I'm just going to bust ass working hard on the web sites and on the photography business. Up till now it's been part-time. Now I'm going to have to make Artefaqs, HAIF, and the rest of the web sites my top priority.

Either that or go live under a bridge.

What was your job? Something in TV I presume?

Yeah, I was a television news producer. At my last gig I had a potential audience of 72 million in the United States, plus an unknown number of people in Canada and as far south as Honduras. Actual ratings were closer to one million people a night.

Whenever you hear someone blame the evil biased liberal media for some bit of societal ill, that's me they're talking about. I was the person who decided what was news. What would be covered. What would be ignored. And how it would be presented.

After 2,585 shows I'm burned out. It's just not fun anymore.

After 2,585 shows I'm burned out. It's just not fun anymore.

You did the right thing. And I doubt there are any nights under bridges in your future. I've left 'good' gigs for similar reasons, and it's always better after. Breathing room--better head space, and, usually more money doing the same stuff you love. It's all out there. Cheers!

Be careful. Goofing off can become addictive. I'm going on 3 years of sloughing off, and I now find the concept of actually working 40 hours in the same week abhorrent.

I promised myself that I'd take a break from the world and spend the first week with no TV and no computer -- just a book and quiet time. That's not working out. A decade of TV and a decade of radio before it has left me with the attention span of a fruit fly. And 20 years of working odd schedules (3am-12pm, 10pm-7am, 2pm-10pm, etc...) has ruined my sleep patterns.

Hopefully I will become a normal productive member of society soon.

Well, congrats, Ed.

Red is right, Slacking is addictive. For awhile I was coasting for two months. Annoyed my friends with my taking long lunches with my "working" friends almost drove them mad.

Just remember, living a bridge in Houston is better than Chicago in the winter. :)

And here I was going to hit you up for a job for my kid that just moved there. lol.

Congratulations! I really envy those with the income and balls to do what you did!

It's not really about money -- it's about time. At my age if I don't do something now I'll never do anything. I'm almost 40, and from what I can tell starting a new career after that milestone is very hard.

I have enough money to scrape by for a couple of months. We'll see what happens after that.

Might be a good time to make that leap to Tokyo. My son spent 5 years in Japan, arrived without a job and made a whole bunch of money. It is unbelievable what the Japanese will pay a person if they like them.

Might be a good time to make that leap to Tokyo. My son spent 5 years in Japan, arrived without a job and made a whole bunch of money. It is unbelievable what the Japanese will pay a person if they like them.

Ha ha ha. That is EXACTLY right. I'm actually spending less time on the forum now that I'm on vacation than when I was at work in Japan. Mmm, slacking...(drool).

Anyway, good luck finding something that makes you happy, Mr. Editor, sir.

Edited by mojeaux131

Thanks to all of you for being so supportive.

I've had some thoughts about jumping to Asia. But for the rest of the year, at least, I'll be tied to here. My wife still has her job, and as long as we have our credit cards to feed and clothe she'll still have to bring home the bacon. Once we're out from under them I can be a little more adventurous.

Ever thought about coming back to Houston (cheaper)?

If it was cheaper, I might, but it isn't. And my wife's company has no interest in expanding any further into America than it already has. But that's not to say we haven't thought about it. Again, I think it's a lot to do with our financial situation. Me jumping out of the rat race cut our household income by 60%. Any further reductions will put me under the bridge in a matter of hours.

If it was cheaper, I might, but it isn't. And my wife's company has no interest in expanding any further into America than it already has. But that's not to say we haven't thought about it. Again, I think it's a lot to do with our financial situation. Me jumping out of the rat race cut our household income by 60%. Any further reductions will put me under the bridge in a matter of hours.

Ah, bull. You could always live here.

Ah, bull. You could always live here.

What a deal for $370/ month. Brand new, utilities included, free cable, close to downtown. I had no idea such a thing existed.

Question: would a person who lived here be subject to a lot of restrictions, such as no beer in the frig, no visitors, curfew, etc..?

What a deal for $370/ month. Brand new, utilities included, free cable, close to downtown. I had no idea such a thing existed.

Question: would a person who lived here be subject to a lot of restrictions, such as no beer in the frig, no visitors, curfew, etc..?

I was kinda wondering the same thing. Also is this for a certain group of people (disadvantages, disabled, income restricted, etc.)?

I have never heard of this development, which is why I am asking.

Yes there are restrictions. they also run a couple more facilities right by minute maid.

I was kinda wondering the same thing. Also is this for a certain group of people (disadvantages, disabled, income restricted, etc.)?

I have never heard of this development, which is why I am asking.

there's another thread on haif somewhere about this. you definitely have to be income restricted. they do take college students, elderly, etc.

At my age if I don't do something now I'll never do anything. I'm almost 40, and from what I can tell starting a new career after that milestone is very hard.

Not to be preachy, but that's a limiting belief. It makes perfect sense to the logical, wordly, ego-driven mind. However, the other part of us, the spirit/soul/higher self/real self/whatever you want to call it is eternal and doesn't know what you're talking about. Solution: spend time trying to develop that aspect of yourself. This is also called spiritual growth.

Yep. I quit. I quit my job. I'm done. Now I have to figure out what to do with the rest of my life.

You can start selling advertising on your body? ^_^

Sorry about the tough road ahead, are you going to retire, or start a new job search?

Not to be preachy, but that's a limiting belief. It makes perfect sense to the logical, wordly, ego-driven mind. However, the other part of us, the spirit/soul/higher self/real self/whatever you want to call it is eternal and doesn't know what you're talking about. Solution: spend time trying to develop that aspect of yourself. This is also called spiritual growth.

All of this is true. I had to start all over same age etc. about 3 years ago. Bounced back before I knew it!

Most of us were laid off at the same time and that told me it was time to get busy. I did... bounced back and have never been happier in my life. I truly mean that. All the networking I spoke of on other topics, it works. Top of the world my friend. :D