I Quit

Trae

Not to be preachy, but that's a limiting belief. It makes perfect sense to the logical, wordly, ego-driven mind. However, the other part of us, the spirit/soul/higher self/real self/whatever you want to call it is eternal and doesn't know what you're talking about. Solution: spend time trying to develop that aspect of yourself. This is also called spiritual growth.

No worries, I don't take it as preachy.

I think it's interesting that you see it as a limiting belief. I see it as an enabling belief. I've been thinking about changing careers for a long time, and the time and age factor is one of the things that really helped me make the jump. My thinking was that it takes a certain amount of years 3-5 to start to really know a new industry, then you can be good at it for another 5-10 years, and then it's time to try something new again. By jumping now "before I'm 40" I have time to squeeze in another career if I want to.

Also, the spirit/soul, etc... is one of the reasons I wanted to change careers. So I could have more time for myself. To develop my inner self. As it was, I didn't even have time to read a book let alone meditate. I'm still very hyper, but feel like I'm making some progress towards calming down. It took 20 years to break me. It will take a little while to fix me again.

Sorry about the tough road ahead, are you going to retire, or start a new job search?

I've decided to really try hard to make the architectural photography business work. In just a few days I managed to lock in four contracts. In fact, as I write this I'm in Phoenix doing an assignment. With the crisis in the mortgage industry a lot of properties are changing hands these days, and that's good for my business. I look at it as a sign that this is the path that I should follow.

All of this is true. I had to start all over same age etc. about 3 years ago. Bounced back before I knew it!

Most of us were laid off at the same time and that told me it was time to get busy. I did... bounced back and have never been happier in my life. I truly mean that. All the networking I spoke of on other topics, it works. Top of the world my friend. :D

I've only been fired once, and you're right -- it was the best thing that happened to my career. It was because of that firing that I was able to make the transition from radio to TV.

Thanks so much for the response, Ed. Now if I could just figure out how you manage to quote three other posts at once in your reply!

When you reply to more than one post in the same thread within a certain number of minutes the system automatically sticks them together.

Editor, do you own this forum? If so, ad revenue seems to be pretty healthy, no?

Technically, I am an employee of the Artefaqs Corporation which owns the forum. As mentioned earlier in this thread, HAIF has just recently started paying for itself. But I will say that a certain local college's recent advertising buy was the tipping point that allowed me to take this leap of faith.