Can Houston Go Back To The Good Ol' Days Of Architecture?

mpope409

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

something more subtle would suit me. i think it's cool when a developer simply uses the address. i realize that isn't marketable with the mentality of today's renter/buyer. ooooo, i bought a place at cosmopolitan, or i live at "the edge". guess people need that kind of recognition these days. no offense intended (you know who you are. ;)).

ditto the sentiment on 1500 louisiana. i mean, it's pei for god's sake. instant classic and a welcome addition to our "esteemed" skyline.

• 3 weeks later...
If there was more of a variety of architectural styles and materials in DT, this might not be so bad. But there isn't a good variety, so we're stuck looking at this. And I speak for many people all over the city and the country when I say that I'm sick of it.

downtown.jpg

I some what tried to see your opinion, but that statement threw me off. I see alot of variety in the Buildings. I think the Colors in the Buildings are very different, and that makes Houston unique! Alot of Variety, Green, Pink, Brown, Grey, Vanilla, Blue, Black. I don't see how you think the B of A in Atlanta has "class". Without the Glass crown it would be 100% crap. A few of those buildings you posted were the same light to dark brown color scheme... <_<

If we're going to retreat to this sort of discussion instead of trying to be really creative, well, Atlanta has its share of overwrought buildings, and it's my least favorite major skyline (not to mention its partisans have such pretensions about it), but the problem with downtown Houston's architecture (aside from massively stretched geometries having nothing to do with human settlement, from one-tower-per-block deadening street life because single operators don't want to have the density of entry points throughout their building that small-scale owners healthily introduce, and from such giant office towers creating the speculative expectation of future windfalls for property owners and subsequently driving land prices so high that one really *does* have to wait from boom to boom to economically justify any additional land use, instead of having more frequent, flexible yet stable addition of smaller buildings to create a growing neighborhood district) is that because the construction from the mid-70s through early 80s so out-sized everything before or since, the overwhelming impression below the scale of silhouette is merely - all you get, when you finally think about it - a bunch of conflicting systems of grids and stripes. It's not a complementary effect.

If we're going to retreat to this sort of discussion instead of trying to be really creative, well, Atlanta has its share of overwrought buildings, and it's my least favorite major skyline (not to mention its partisans have such pretensions about it), but the problem with downtown Houston's architecture (aside from massively stretched geometries having nothing to do with human settlement, from one-tower-per-block deadening street life because single operators don't want to have the density of entry points throughout their building that small-scale owners healthily introduce, and from such giant office towers creating the speculative expectation of future windfalls for property owners and subsequently driving land prices so high that one really *does* have to wait from boom to boom to economically justify any additional land use, instead of having more frequent, flexible yet stable addition of smaller buildings to create a growing neighborhood district) is that because the construction from the mid-70s through early 80s so out-sized everything before or since, the overwhelming impression below the scale of silhouette is merely - all you get, when you finally think about it - a bunch of conflicting systems of grids and stripes. It's not a complementary effect.

We seem to observe the same things about Houston's skyline but value it differently. I like the massing, the abstraction, and the clean crystaline forms. And I don't care about street life...street life only equates to more people that I could accidentally run over in my car.

Also, while it is true that new buildings tend to be built during boom times, that is also witnessed elsewhere. It is just that our economy has historically had higher booms and deeper busts, so perhaps it is more apparent. But I can assure you beyond the shadow of a doubt that the architecture has essentially nothing to do with real estate economics...at least insofar as politicians keep their noses out of it.

• 1 month later...

i think i kind of agree with the original poster while i think our buildings are just fine, houston has been known for its rather wide and "plain jane" style of architecture. it would be nice to see more sleek and sophisticated structures go up around the city. change won't kill us.

this city has a lot of cool buildings, but not a lot of pretty ones.

Houston, along with many Sunbelt cities, is constantly being criticized for having boring architecture. Between the wide, boxy glass towers and stucco-like parking garages, not many seem to be a fan of the scenery our skyline has to offer. Unfortunately, I often agree. I do not have a problem with some post modern structures, but so many of them are so bland and have no bit of aesthetic appeal to them.

The Esperson buildings are like the jewels of downtown. Very romantic and elegant. Where are our other buildings like them? I would love for this city to have a mini building boom of highrises and skyscrapers that paid homage to the Italian Renaissance or Art Deco era, for example. Ushering back in a new trend of brick buildings that allowed such elaborate and classic design from the minds of some of the world's greatest architects.

My question is, are we too far gone in technology and time for these types of structures to ever become likely again? Would it be too expensive, nowadays? Would it be cheaper? Would building them take more time than most are willing to commit to?

They're certainly not out of style, but I was just wondering if such an aspiration was unreasonable.

I kind of get what you're saying, but I have to respectfully disagree as well.

To me, Houston actually finds its elegance within the randomness and variety of the city. The fact that a city dares to be so many things to so many different people ALL AT ONCE, is what I admire about it. You want the suburbs? Go outside of the loop. You want hustle and bustle? Move to quickly developing Midtown or the Montrose. You want world-class visual and performing arts? Head downtown to catch the Houston Ballet, Houston Grand Opera, or the Alley Theater, then hop the train to the MFA. You want substantial rail transit? LOL, we're not perfect, but give us a few years... we're workin' on it!!

If we're limiting the conversation to strictly architecture, I have to agree that the Espersons and the old JP Chase are some of my absolute favorites. But what makes them that way is that they "stick out". The same way that BOA sticks out among the contemporary glass and steel, or the Williams Tower rises from virtually "nowhere". In reference to more classic or traditional architecture, just get in the car and drive around a bit. Have you been to some of the amazing Churches here in Houston, like St. Paul's UMC, or St. Martin's Episcopal?? Check out the brand new La Luz del Mundo on 59 North, or the Villa de Maatel in Eastwood. Last and never least, take the 50 minute drive down to Galveston. There are plenty of "old style" gems to be had here... they don't all have to be downtown.

OH, and don't forget the One Park Place is in the same reflective style that you speak of. It'll be complete within a few months.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The bolded stood out to me. Are you familiar with downtown? There are miles of tunnels that go beneath downtown, FULL of people, businesses/eateries. Hardly any cities have tunnels like this. If these people were all above ground, believe me the streets would be FILLED. You should go check it out sometime. It blew my mind when I first went down there... Partially because I never even knew it existed!

• 3 weeks later...

I think Houston could use more interesting buildings. I think most of our buildings pretty much ARE boring boxes. I think they missed a chance to add a little pizzaz in the new building in the medical center. I know there is one UC that is "twisty". That one is nice. But that new massive one... St Lukes I think... could have used a spire of sorts and not a fat uneven triangle.

Archived