• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody else been to Beavers? What's your opinion?

Maybe I was too excited and therefore had high expectations... my husband and I were dissapointed in the BBQ... maybe it's b/c Lulings and Lyndons are big footsteps to fill. The portions were super tiny too for the price. We're in TEXAS! Small portions are not acceptable ;o)

We'll be back though to try some beer & a burger this time. Definitely don't want to give up on this place yet!

Couple positives though, the banana pudding is AWESOME! =o)Also, the atmosphere was neat in that it incorporated the "ice house" feel.

Has anybody else been to Beavers? What's your opinion?

Maybe I was too excited and therefore had high expectations... my husband and I were dissapointed in the BBQ... maybe it's b/c Lulings and Lyndons are big footsteps to fill. The portions were super tiny too for the price. We're in TEXAS! Small portions are not acceptable ;o)

We'll be back though to try some beer & a burger this time. Definitely don't want to give up on this place yet!

Couple positives though, the banana pudding is AWESOME! =o)Also, the atmosphere was neat in that it incorporated the "ice house" feel.

My experience:

Too much vinegar in the pulled pork and a very small portion!!!

Mac and Cheese, Banana pudding are GREAT!!!!

Ribs= OKAY...... Other than that, it's a nice place

My experience:

Too much vinegar in the pulled pork and a very small portion!!!

Mac and Cheese, Banana pudding are GREAT!!!!

Ribs= OKAY...... Other than that, it's a nice place

They have pork BBQ? Maybe I'll have to check it out and give a Carolinian's review.

For those who've never been, North Carolina has TWO forms of pork BBQ. They are fierce in their opinions on which is better. The Western Carolina version is ketchup based sauce, similar to Texas beef barbeque. However, Eastern Carolina pork barbeque is laced with vinegar, and often hot sauce or red pepper. Personally, I think it is fantastic. A common way to eat it is on a bun with cole slaw on top.

It is never called pulled pork, though pulled pork and Carolina pork barbeque appear to be the same thing to me.

Maybe fellow Carolinian KatieDidIt will chime in with her opinion.

EDIT: Just read the menu. Stuff it in an eggroll wrap.....PUH LEEZE!

Edited by RedScare

Our Beavers experience:

Burgers: good, but teeny tiny

Homemade chips: good, but after a couple of minutes the lemon seasoning turns them soggy

Some little cornbread thingys: good, but very few. For $7 I would expect more than 4 little cornbreads each of which is half the size of a donut hole.

Banana pudding: Amazing!

Beer: Great selection.

Its going thru some growing pains and hopefully they'll have things ironed out soon. We will return though, but as far as good BBQ goes, it definitely won't keep us away from Hickory Hollow. It's an icehouse for yuppy folk is the best I can describe it.

Quick Beaver's review from dinner this past weekend:

Stuffed peppers - Good. One was a tiny bit cold on the inside still, but not still-half-frozen or anything like that.

Campechana - Good seafood cocktail, with fresh seafood and a light spicy tomato sauce.

Fried pickles - The batter was more like a tempura batter than what I'm used to - probably wouldn't order these again because I prefer a thin, crispy, spicy batter on pickles (like at King Biscuit), but it's not that they weren't good.

Nut burger - Tasty but not really burger-ish like a veggie burger would be. More like a nut-loaf sandwich. But, again, tasty.

Coleslaw - I thought it was delicious.

Agree that the beer selection is very good. The trashcan punch was also good, with fresh fruit ingredients, and I'm ok with paying T'afia prices ($8-$10) for superb cocktails - though the serving size did seem especially small for the price (small glass, lots of ice).

Service - Was great the night we were there. Food did come out in the order and at the time it was ready, but this was ok with us - and we got our food very fast even though the restaurant was full.

I'll go back to see the place evolve, and to try the barbecue (I've heard the sausage is good). If you haven't gone yet, I wouldn't expect a Texas icehouse or BBQ-joint experience - but it's a likeable place on its own merits.

Quick Beaver's review from dinner this past weekend:

...I'm ok with paying T'afia prices ($8-$10) for superb cocktails - though the serving size did seem especially small for the price (small glass, lots of ice).

$8 to $10 for cocktails? Umm...no. Last time I checked, all of my rum comes out of a Captain Morgan bottle, and all of my Coke comes from the same manufacturer, as well. I don't pay 10 bucks to drink in ANY icehouse. I don't care who owns it.

Thanks for the warning, but no thanks.

$8 to $10 for cocktails? Umm...no. Last time I checked, all of my rum comes out of a Captain Morgan bottle, and all of my Coke comes from the same manufacturer, as well. I don't pay 10 bucks to drink in ANY icehouse. I don't care who owns it.

Thanks for the warning, but no thanks.

Yeah, that's my recollection of the prices on the short (4-5 drinks not including the "beer cocktails") cocktail menu. But I tried the punch anyhow because I really do like the specialty cocktails at T'afia, which are inventive and use high-quality and fresh ingredients. Don't know how much the regular mixed drinks would be. The person I was with thought the beer prices at Beaver's were pretty reasonable for specialty beers, for what it's worth - and there did seem to be a lot of choice there. Again, I think Beaver's is really an icehouse in name only - less a criticism than a warning for folks to adjust their expectations.

I went there (Beaver's) a couple weeks back and had a smattering of appetizers as well as a few of the aforementioned mixed drinks, including the trash can punch. While the food was somewhat uninspiring, I did find the drinks quite tasty. However, each drink disappeared after what seemed like a couple sips, which made me feel a bit cheated, at best.

I do think the concept of the restaurant has a lot of potential. However, in order for me to become a regular, they'll need to rachet the food quality up a notch and pull down the mixed drink prices by a buck or two.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Was riding the bike over there today, never seen this place before. Looked like a decent happy hour crowd, but not crowded which to me is a good thing. I didn't roll up to the window to read the happy hour specials in my bike helmet, but I noticed a sign that I think had food and drink specials. From the above posts I'm undecided on whether we'll try it. If anything it'd be for the beer and barbecue, not expensive mixed drinks. I mix my own drinks, with liquor and my mouth, nothing else needed.

I love that old historic sixth ward area. It might be my favorite area in Houston for some reason. So close to downtown, it reminds me of the Spanish Town area in Baton Rouge. I figure it must be a rehabber's paradise, but I saw some new construction that looked out of place. Then again, there are some places there that are not at all salvageable, could have been tear-downs before.

only been twice but each time the food was mediocre. drinks were too expensive for what they were serving. tito's is cheap, not an $8 drink.

??? I did not notice fancy Tito's drinks the one (unmemorable) time I ate there.

I hate when restaurants do these things. In their quest for authenticity they accomplish the very opposite. Trying to be clever in the way they take money off the hipsters using inexpensive Austin made vodka. Ordered by the same sort of people making their statement by drinking PBR and comparing recycled vietnamese fishing net totebags that were only 80 bucks at Anthropologie! I guess my feeling is, be clever and concept-y with the food, or the bar, but not both. It's too much room for stupid all at once.

My husband and I have been to Beavers quite often since the beginning. We have a love/hate relationship with them lately since they keep making poor decisions (just our opinion).

It really started off with a bang and seems to just keep going downhill. For instance, prices go higher while servings seem to shrink.

Also quality in some cases has deteriorated.

Their sweet potato fries are almost always soggy these days. Not to mention for some reason one of their best brunch foods is now being served with Fritos instead of cornbread, the Beaver pie.

I will say tho they do have some great dishes... hope they stay and don't ditch those off the menu too. :)

• 1 month later...
My husband and I have been to Beavers quite often since the beginning. We have a love/hate relationship with them lately since they keep making poor decisions (just our opinion).

It really started off with a bang and seems to just keep going downhill. For instance, prices go higher while servings seem to shrink.

Also quality in some cases has deteriorated.

Their sweet potato fries are almost always soggy these days. Not to mention for some reason one of their best brunch foods is now being served with Fritos instead of cornbread, the Beaver pie.

I will say tho they do have some great dishes... hope they stay and don't ditch those off the menu too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Beavers just hired Jonathan Jones (who was the head chef for Maxs when they opened and recently worked for Cordua) as the head guy. Hes really cooking up a storm. If you havent been, check it out. If you have been and didnt like it, give it another shot. The sweet potatoe fries are getting a makeover as well.

Take 2 min and watch the video review below.

Kristen 2 Go's video report

Beavers just hired Jonathan Jones (who was the head chef for Maxs when they opened and recently worked for Cordua) as the head guy. Hes really cooking up a storm. If you havent been, check it out. If you have been and didnt like it, give it another shot. The sweet potatoe fries are getting a makeover as well.

so hiring a chef that's moved around 3 times in a short period is supposed to be a good thing???

wasn't that impressed with the burger either, but from a strictly value perspective. if the same burger were $10, i'd be there every week.

i pay less than that at market square grill and like them considerably more. as for value, the 2x i've been to beaver's and to her other place t'afia, i think the drinks are too much, way too much. using tito's and flor de ca

wasn't that impressed with the burger either, but from a strictly value perspective. if the same burger were $10, i'd be there every week.

What type of world has this become where a $10 burger is ok? I can make a way better burger myself even with fancy ingredients for less than half of that. no $10 burgers, unless I can expense it.

• 1 year later...

Anyone been since they got the new chef, Jonathan Jones? I hear they've kept a lot of stuff but the chef has added a bunch items to the blackboard that are a lot more interesting. Here's a couple articles.

November of last year: http://www.houstonpress.com/2008-11-06/restaurants/busy-beaver-s/

A few days ago: http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/2009/09/chef_chat_jonathan_jones_of_be.php

Anyone been since they got the new chef, Jonathan Jones? I hear they've kept a lot of stuff but the chef has added a bunch items to the blackboard that are a lot more interesting. Here's a couple articles.

yeah i made the mistake of going back a few months ago. i had a piece of baked chicken (a piece of breakfast sausage was bigger), some overly salted greens and beans and a piece of waterlogged toast. then i stupidly ordered some speciality gin drink with little to no gin in it. basically $8 lemonade. i sure wouldn't recommend it. i said something to the manager who was apologetic but then ended up spilling his guts how he's trying to win old customers back who've all gone elsewhere.