Howl At The Moon Club At 612 Hadley St.

Displaced

Nicolas Lopez, 26, got into an argument with a group of men inside a nightclub in the 600 block of Hadley around 1:30 a.m. when he was stabbed in the chest and abdomen, authorities said.

Chron article

Would that be Howl at the Moon?

I would guess the issue was a woman. The bar behind my street, Juanita's Party Bar (probably not one you've likely visited) charges women $7.50 for a beer. The logic behind that, I was told by a guy who works for the owner, is to keep them away, because they only get the men all worked up and.....................then out come the knives and guns. :ph34r:

This did occur at Howl at the Moon. It was a group of Asians that did the stabbing. ******* cowards

and all this time we thought that was the nice part of Midtown. Cowards is right.

Sadly now this place will have the bad stigma due to this one stupid/senseless group of idiots.

and all this time we thought that was the nice part of Midtown. Cowards is right.

Sadly now this place will have the bad stigma due to this one stupid/senseless group of idiots.

That is actually the nice part of midtown. I don't think the place will see too much less traffic. They do great business and they're a known commodity through their other locations in other cities. I think what will end up happening is that Asians won't be allowed into bars in Midtown, something that has already been happening for years at several of the midtown bars/clubs. It's sad that the actions of a few end up hurting the larger group.

I doubt if it will have a "stigma" of any sorts. Stupidity happens at most clubs regardless demographics. I just hope more development occurs in this area that will allow a smaller distance to walk to other areas aside from Pub Fiction. Saturday I was seeing quite a bit of foot traffic between the clubs by the Doghouse Tavern, Pub Fiction, and little woodrows since they're not that far apart. The women in heels I'm sure had something to say about these little treks as the night went on.

That is actually the nice part of midtown. I don't think the place will see too much less traffic. They do great business and they're a known commodity through their other locations in other cities. I think what will end up happening is that Asians won't be allowed into bars in Midtown, something that has already been happening for years at several of the midtown bars/clubs. It's sad that the actions of a few end up hurting the larger group.

I'm not aware of people not being allowed to go in, but I wouldn't be surprised about some "groups" of people not being allowed in. After driving by Howl a few nights ago (not new years) the place is still well received and seems to be having a good amount of attendance inside.

I think what will end up happening is that Asians won't be allowed into bars in Midtown, something that has already been happening for years at several of the midtown bars/clubs.

This is unimaginable. :wacko: Lawsuits will abound. Whole new topic.

I have to laugh though, so if I were of half Asian descent I could only set one foot in the door, etc.

This is unimaginable. :wacko: Lawsuits will abound. Whole new topic.

I have to laugh though, so if I were of half Asian descent I could only set one foot in the door, etc.

That lawsuit would be unfounded, considering a private establishment can let anybody they please inside, and keep anybody they please outside. Like I said, there are places in midtown that have been doing this for years.

That lawsuit would be unfounded, considering a private establishment can let anybody they please inside, and keep anybody they please outside. Like I said, there are places in midtown that have been doing this for years.

You are serious. I thought days of segregation were gone or am I getting them confused? I wish you could list some of these places. What if the person is Asian but doesnt look it? Sounds very racial profiling to me. We could just drop the subject too. Just seems unreal in todays world. I'm bewitched, bothered and bewildered. :(:)

if they can prove they are keeping out people just because they are asian....i would say a lawsuit would be warranted.

Trying not to stray from original topic but this same question reminds me of what is known as a Mystery Shopper (Mystery shopping began in the 1940s and as a mechanism to measure employee integrity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_shopping

Companies hire people to walk into business's and somewhat test reactions or timeliness of service. We had these people come in quite often at a place I worked at briefly. Just just had to know them right off the bat. I can assure if we actually turned away someone based on appearance or even worse ethnicity, the place would be closed down and all of us would have ended up in the unemployment line. I for one would love to "test" one of these nightclubs in Midtown and or have others act as unassuming patrons. Very interesting indeed. Ok, I will be nice now. :) Back to topic, stabbing etc.

Discrimination based upon race may be illegal but at one time there was a law that allowed an owner of an establishment to refuse service.

They still can, as long as it is not based on race. They get around it by using dress codes as cover for potentially illegal practices. There is still plenty of discrimination. Owners just have to be a little more creative about how they practice it.

Don't be so naive, you can get stabbed in a bar in the Galleria area. I am living proof of that. It never made the papers , nor does it have a "stigma" for such goings on.

Yeah, I'm calling B.S. to this claim.

But please feel free to refute me by actually naming one active business that does as you claim.

Yeah, I'm calling B.S. to this claim.

But please feel free to refute me by actually naming one active business that does as you claim.

Try any establishment that says, "We have the right to refuse service" or "Proper attire required."

Men's club, Treasures, Colorado, and a few other bars refuse service admittance to those that aren't dressed appropriately.

Any establishment has the right to refuse to serve someone if they feel for really any reason at all. As Red said, the bar owners just have to be creative.