Howl At The Moon Club At 612 Hadley St.

Displaced

Try any establishment that says, "We have the right to refuse service" or "Proper attire required."

Men's club, Treasures, Colorado, and a few other bars refuse service admittance to those that aren't dressed appropriately.

Any establishment has the right to refuse to serve someone if they feel for really any reason at all. As Red said, the bar owners just have to be creative.

King Owl said they specifically keep out Asians....that's a little different. ;)

The same rule applies. They can keep out Irish people out if they're wearing Leprechaun outfits.

Actually, ricco, you may be missing my point. It is illegal to deny service because of race or ethnicity. However, it is NOT illegal to enforce a dress code. In other words, denying entrance to those who wear oversized jerseys or doo rags is not discrimination, even if this style of dress is worn primarily by Blacks. If the primary reason is to deny entrance to gangsters, or to uphold the "upscale" nature of the club, it will be allowed. If it is only to deny entrance to members of a particulat race, it will not.

There are, admittedly, clubs that use these rules to discriminate. However, as long as the rules are not discriminatory on their face, there is little one can do about it. In other words, as long as the club owner hides his true motivation, he will not be accused of discriminating. If Whites with improper dress are excluded along with Blacks, it is not discrimination. It is all about applying the rules equally, and not admitting your true intentions. The fact is, most clubs no longer have a problem allowing mixing of the races. They DO have a problem with the criminal element causing trouble.

King Owl claimed clubs are not allowing Asians inside. This is illegal, for obvious reasons. There may be club owners that think this, but to get around the law, they are going to have to enforce it in a legally kosher manner. And blanket prohibitions on Asians won't cut it.

That's what I was saying, Red. They CAN discriminate, they just have to do it in different ways without being TOO obvious.

As long as everyone dresses appropriately, everyone can come in. It's the knuckleheads that think they can come in looking like a gangsta' that are usually denied in some of the better clubs.

once they're inside, they'll usually behave themselves. But throw booze into the mix and anyone from any economic or social background can turn into real idiots.

Try any establishment that says, "We have the right to refuse service" or "Proper attire required."

Men's club, Treasures, Colorado, and a few other bars refuse service admittance to those that aren't dressed appropriately.

Any establishment has the right to refuse to serve someone if they feel for really any reason at all. As Red said, the bar owners just have to be creative.

You might be dressed right, but they won't check you for weapons if they think they "KNOW" you.

Edited by TJones

Folks, go onto citysearch and read the reviews of a few of the well known midtown places. You can figure out who lets in who.

baggy clothes, another form of ID, inappropriate shoes....you can always just make up some excuse to keep somebody out....and the police are right there and won't do a thing about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Happens all the time. Me and a friend have been denied access to certain clubs in midtown because we did not have any females in our group. Or "No guys allowed in right now, only girls..." You can hear that phrase every night all night at clubs. Isn't that discrimination based on race?

We had a friend in our group with us once of a certain race that was denied entry because his shoes "Were not the right style for the club." Another guy in the same group had tennis shoes on. He had nice leather shoes just like everyone else. When he asked what was the right style, the bouncer just said "Not your style."

Happens ALL the time... And no one will stop it either. What ya gonna do send Wayn Dolcefino?

Edited by pookrat

Happens all the time. Me and a friend have been denied access to certain clubs in midtown because we did not have any females in our group. Or "No guys allowed in right now, only girls..." You can hear that phrase every night all night at clubs. Isn't that discrimination based on race?

Race :huh:

Race :huh:

Remember that lawsuit against Spy a few years back by a group of Asians? It really went nowhere. It was kinda funny seeing a girl who i used to hang out with sitting at the press conference with that group...lol

We had a friend in our group with us once of a certain race that was denied entry because his shoes "Were not the right style for the club." Another guy in the same group had tennis shoes on. He had nice leather shoes just like everyone else. When he asked what was the right style, the bouncer just said "Not your style."

Happens ALL the time... And no one will stop it either. What ya gonna do send Wayn Dolcefino?

You guys think it is bad here. You should see how it is in LA. Sometimes you can't get in without a decent smile. Sometimes the same person will be denied in one night, but allowed in the club another night by the same bouncer who denied him the other night...really!

Edited by sifuwong

Remember that lawsuit against Spy a few years back by a group of Asians? It really went nowhere. It was kinda funny seeing a girl who i used to hang out with sitting at the press conference with that group...lol

I was just confused how not allowing MEN into a club is RACE discrimination...

No Pookrat, that would be "gender" or "sexist" biased, but that would be laughed out of court for lack of evidence as I am sure there would be BOTH genders in the club at the time you were told that badnews. Understand that you just didn't have the "look" they wanted in their club. Besides, would you want to go to a club that played silly games like that in the first place ? I will take my business elsewhere, but, in over 20 years of going to clubs in this town, I can't remember when I have ever been denied entrance, except maybe once at a midtown club, over my SHOES. I told the bouncer to go get the owner, who I knew was inside because I had just gotten off the phone with him, and the bouncer said, "I don't have to get the owner, besides he is busy." I called the owner myself on the phone and asked him to step outside. He did, and asked, "what's the problem ?" I told him to, "look at my shoes.", the owner said, "Wear better shoes next time Jackass." and we walked in together and he bought me a couple of drinks.

Maybe that was because the ownership of Spy was busted in an international drug ring bust, and the club shut down. Civil court judgments against federal prisoners are generally considered worthless.

Maybe that was because the ownership of Spy was busted in an international drug ring bust, and the club shut down. Civil court judgments against federal prisoners are generally considered worthless.

Now that i think about it, yeah it was about the same time the club was busted for a front of laundering X and other drugs.

I was just confused how not allowing MEN into a club is RACE discrimination...

Oops... Yeah Gender. I meant gender... Anyways. Point stands. They can just make up excuse after excuse if they want to deny entry to a certain race as well. Same rule of no evidence applies. If they want only or mostly white crowds, just let ni a few "insert race here" that appear to be "white washed". And deny entry to all the rest. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently this happened IN the bar. They are still looking for the suspects.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/5533954.html

The friends left the table and Lopez got into a brief struggle with a group of men, witnesses said. When patrons at nearby tables complained, the group of men left the club and Lopez remained at the table.

As Lopez's friends returned moments later, Lopez fell to the floor and people realized he'd been injured, police said.

• The title was changed to Howl At The Moon Club At 612 Hadley St.